Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel change help please (Read 682 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel change help please

Yahoo Message Number: 5990
Today my mechanic came for a oil change and a fuel filter change.
Oil change went fine.
Fuel filter went ok until try to bleed fuel. He can not see any fuel coming up or make the pump pump fuel.
From what I remember it is a pretty straight forward procedure, even he said he has done several and this never happened before.
All connections are checked and all.
All fuses are good as well.
Any idea what might be the problem? Suggestions?

Thank you all much
Mo

Ps: I will post something about the slide I got it to work

Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Re: Fuel change help please

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5992
I always go to a dealer to have it done, but I think the manual says it could take up to 100 pumps to fill the filter. I'm sure Ron or others who do it themselves will chime in.

Dave Sparke

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5993
Just changed mine last weekend. Only took a few pumps and no problems. Wonder if the bleed screw is clogged for some reason?
Greg
MN

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5994
Sounds dumb but did he loosen the bleeder screw? Mine was hard to get started also but pump and pump close screw and it finally fired write up.

To: Kodiak Chassis group
Sent: Thu, December 9, 2010 12:46:49 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Fuel change help please

Today my mechanic came for a oil change and a fuel filter change.
Oil change went fine.
Fuel filter went ok until try to bleed fuel. He can not see any fuel coming up or make the pump pump fuel.
From what I remember it is a pretty straight forward procedure, even he said he has done several and this never happened before.
All connections are checked and all.
All fuses are good as well.
Any idea what might be the problem? Suggestions?

Thank you all much
Mo

Ps: I will post something about the slide I got it to work

Sent on the Now Network™ from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5996

You may need a new "mechanic".
Anyhow if the primer is not working you can take the filter off and fill it before installing it make sure you top it up (use a dixie cup or a 20cc syringe) once its in position and before you screw it up. Make sure you rev it up to about 1500 rpm as soon as it starts and you have oil pressure. The tiny amount of air will go thru the system in about 30 seconds.
If the primer is working back the filter off one full turn and use the primer to fill the filter till fuel runs down the filter. Tighten the filter and start it up
hope this helps
later brad

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5997
If he put one of the new plastic filters on. There is a O'ring that needs to be installed on top. I have not installed on of these yet, but have heard it can be a problem.
Best leave the bleeder screw closed until pump becomes hard then open bleeder and pump until no air comes out.
If he/you cannot get new filter to prime. Remove filter and check seals. Sometimes the old o'ring stay on filter housing. If 2 o'rings are in place new filter will leak. Check WIF o'ring on bottom of filter.
Our Duramax fuel system up to fuel pump is a suction system. No fuel pump in tank or lines until fuel gets to CP3 on engine. When there is a leak in system most of the time no fuel is found around leak because pump sucked air into lines.
Best
Ron Hall