Skip to main content
Topic: Texas travel (Read 917 times) previous topic - next topic

Texas travel

Yahoo Message Number: 6518
Hi folks,

We're sitting in a condo on the Carolina shore for the month of March,
but we're busy planning our trip out west later in the spring. One of
the areas of concern on planning is in Texas.

We plan to spend a few days in San Antonio and also want to do the hill
country on our way to the grand canyon. Is it feasible to spend the time
in between hill country and San Antonio to do both from one location or
do we need to split the time between the two.

I planned on staying at the military park at Sam Houston (I'm retired
Army), but that's not in concrete and we haven't tried to get
reservations yet either.

We'll leave that area and head to the Canyon Village to spend a few days
there, but it's a long way from San Antonio to there so there has to be
rest days in between. No more 12 hour days for this kid.

Any suggestions for that section of the trip are welcome.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Texas travel

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6520
Not everyone has the same opinion. But mine is that 2 days in San Antonio was enough for us. Texas Hill Country is one of our favorite areas. Many nice parks to stay in. Top of the list would be Lady Bird Johnson RV park in Fredericksburg. You can do a lot of traveling from there.
It's a long trip from there to Grand Canyon. Best would be to take at least 3 days from Hill Country. When we traveled the route last month. Had to spend a extra day in El Paso because of high winds.
Kevin McCoy is a good person to ask about this area.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6521
Greg, FWIW, we had planned to do the same trip in 2007 but traded our Ambassador for the Kodiak and had to get back to do the swap.

We thought about doing it this May but have to be home for most of the month.

As a racing fan who drove from Toronto to Sebring for the weekend (with DW) in 1965 to watch Jim Hall win the 12 hour race, my trip planning just had to have us going through Midland Tx to visit the Petroleum Museum. It has a special wing with some cars of my favourite constructor. http://www.petroleummuseum.org/Gallery/CarsonDisplay.html

http://www.petroleummuseum.org/Gallery/CarsonDisplay.htmlMaybe next year.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6525
Can't blame you there. When I was a kid running slot cars, my favorite
was my G2 :-)

I think Kathy would probably leave me by the side of the road if I took
her to a race museum :-) She tolerated me running the roads with my
buddy running Formula fords and later the D-sports, but those days are
over. She is giving in to letting me return to Mother Rucker where all
good aviators return one day. I haven't seen the aviation museum there
since I was there for one of the last IP quals I went thru in the 80's.
They've built a new one that is supposed to be very nice so we'll go
there and I'll relive old times like the rest of the old guys I used to
laugh at years ago.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6526
I'll keep an eye out for his input.

This is a big trip for us since Kathy retired a couple weeks ago. We've
always made these in three weeks with a week in Denver to see the kids,
but this time we're planning on about 70 days and almost a month in Denver.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6528
Greg, so far so good with the Itasca. My son has been living in it at the park since the end of Oct and really likes it. No problems found since we got here and just the one item with the T used for a water line bend that was fixed right after we took delivery. It certainly would not be good for the three of us to spend the winter in but with the Park Model we don't need anything larger. We have had the first phase of a 400 sq ft addition done to the Park Model and the rest will be done in late October or early November. The contractor doesn't want to do the work when we aren't here and building permits have become a real PITA in Manatee county.

Speaking of museums, on the way back in April we are going to spend two nights at the FMCA campground in Cincinnati (provided a space is available) and spend another day at the USAF National Museum in Dayton. We spent a day there on the way down in October and feel we need another day. What a facility. They just got a $5 million commitment from Boeing for a 200,000 sq ft expansion that will house the presidential aircraft which are currently on the base and require a much higher level of security (we have to provide our passports in April). If you haven't visited this museum (but I'd bet that you have) and you are anywhere near it, don't miss it.

BTW, the time I'd spend in the Jim Hall section of the Midland facility would only be an hour or so. :)

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6529
On 2011-03-11, at 10:44 AM, Greg Gimlick wrote:

Nice. Have fun. No doubt you will go up through Monument Vally and to the Arches on the way to Denver.

Exactly what our plan was and hopefully will be next year.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6533

Greg

I have lived and worked in San Antonio for the last 25 years. Depending on what you plan to do and see makes a big difference. Ft Sam Houston is fairly close to Brackenridge Park/Zoo and Golf Course. The Botanical Garden and Sunken Gardens. The Riverwalk and Mission Trail are not far way, (about 5-10 minutes). If you have a toad, you can drive out to Kerrville and/or Fredericksburg in the hill country. The drive will take about 1-1/2 hrs from Ft Sam.

You might decide to drive out to Fredericksburg on your way out. The Nemitz Museum is there along with a lot of Texas Hill Country shops.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Bob

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 6535
Thanks Bob. I read the posts on this subject to DW. We figure we've got to start making more use of our MH. The plan in the back of my mind has been to depart Florida in mid May and we'd work our way out the the Grand Canyon taking in New Orleans for a day, San Antonio for a few days (one day we'd drive to Austin to visit a friend), on the Kerrville, on to Midland for the Jim Hall museum visit, this up to Santa Fe (undecided as to the route - up to Amarillo and then along I-40 or through NM on 285. Then back down to 40 and over to Flagstaff with a stop or two along the way). We'd then sightsee including Sedona. On to the GC, over to Monument Valley with a few days at Gouldings, and then a couple of days to get to Arches. From there to Denver with a stop to go up Mt. Evans (did it back in 1979 and would like DW and my son to go to the top). Then back home (Windsor area across the bridge from Detroit). Along trip to say the least.

DW has wondered about doing it this fall, departing home about Sept 15 and getting to Florida by November where we'd be spending the winter. We have to be back home in 60 days though to restart our out of country medical coverage (we get 60 days per trip and have to come back for at least one night). We also have to watch our total time in the US so this trip would have to be deducted from our Florida time to make sure we don't go over 182 days (actually, the calculation involves using all days in the current year, 1/3 in the previous year and 1/6th in the 2nd previous and if that exceeds 182 you have to convince the IRS you have a closer connection to Canada or they want to tax your total income). If we make the trip in the spring we will head north in early April leaving the MH in FLA and then return in May to start the trip.

My questions for folks who are very familiar with northern Colorado, Utah, N Arizona and NM, - when does one start to encounter cold weather and SNOW. If we set out in mid-September and got to Utah by the end of Sept is there a risk of encountering snow?

Thanks

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6555
I'm surprised that no one in the group can answer this question - or was it buried to deep?

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 6565
I saw the post but titled Texas Travel didn't pay attention the extent of my Texas Travel consists of one long drive across US40 headed East and then coming home. I live in Northern Utah, in Salt Lake City. It is rare that we see snow in Mid September here and even less likely its seen down south. If we do it usually comes and goes pretty quick. Fall and Spring seem like you can have huge swings in the weather. In Southern Utah where it sounds like you'll be you should be just fine, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Up until about Mid October you shouldn't have to worry about snow really sticking around.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6566
I live in the SW Colorado mountains and Houston; part time in both, so I frequently travel various routes as the distance is about the same 1250 miles and driving the same route is soooo boring. There are infrequent snow storms as early as September mostly in the Colorado mountains.

I find that up to late November the roads are generally clear. If there is a storm in route the issue is generally ABQ. A storm can blow through and normally lasts only a day or two. You can circumnavigate by traveling I 10 to Fort Stockton and then working north/ northwest. The four corners area gets snow mostly from the SW storms. Northern storms generally hit only the northern areas of Colorado..Steamboat, Denver etc.

Drove up Dec 20-21 this year and roads were clear the entire route. Returned last week and had snow from Telluride to Durango. Just watch the weather for storms coming from the SW and you should be fine. It's rare the storms last more then a day or two.

Safe Journies

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 6571
Thanks George.

I have to say my preference is to May-June.

One problem I've got to address is time in the US. We are allowed a maximum of 6 months and we've got to be VERY careful not to exceed that.

I wish someone in Washington would look at this with a critical eye. Most (all) snowbirds from Canada are not trying to find a back door into the US to live there unlawfully. They are escaping the winter and also sightseeing and associating with a fine group of people in the RV community. There is no added pressure to schools, hospitals, etc. In our case the three of us spend enough that we probably fund one job every year. So, for a long trip out to Co, Ut, Az, NM, Tx and several other states we have to plan and cut short our Florida stay.

I'd almost forgotten about this problem until a fellow Canadian in our park came to ask advice yesterday. He is in the US this year from Oct 25 (arrived here Oct 28) and will cross back into Canada about April 20. Immigration (not the IRS) says no more than six months in ANY 12 month period. He has paid $5,000 US for a one month Caravan trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, etc. With travel time to and from the Caravan it will take six weeks. The trip runs from late August to late September. He now has a real problem - he will be in the US for more than six months from Oct 25/10 to Oct 25/11 - and that is a NO NO and he will be in real trouble. He has learned that for $140 he can defer the Caravan one year and will have to do that to avoid big trouble. Next season he will have to reduce the time he spends in Florida.

We have to do the same thing in planning our trip.

Don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 6573

Hi Don

I was waiting for someone in the group who might live in the rockies to answer that part. In my travels through Colorado, I have encountered snow in July and Aug. It usually melts by afternoon. I assume you would be traveling on I-70 across Colo & Utah. In my experience you might hit snow in the higher elevations, especially at night, but usually the early snows don't stick to the ground very long. If you travel I-40 you will be at lower altitudes for most of the trip as well as further south. I think that there is little chance of any snow on I-40 that time of year.

Bob

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 6575
Thanks Bob,

I've been in Colorado in August (1978 or 79) and drove to the top of Mt Evans. No snow thank goodness (I had a borrowed a 427 Cu In Chev Station Wagon from one of my partners in Denver for the scenic drive) but the temp in Denver was 85 and it was at 34 deg at the top of Mt. Evans.

My guess is we will try to make the trip starting out in May 2012 (since we will have to cut back our FLA time to stay within 6 months) and get to the GC in late May or early June. We'd be returning along I-70 by about mid June so we will hopefully avoid snow. We'll take the Escape AWD up Mt Evans.

Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 6578
Don Leslie wrote:

My guess is we will try to make the trip starting out in May 2012

to the GC in late May or early June. We'd be returning along I-70 by
about mid June so we will hopefully avoid snow.

We were in Colorado last year to see the kids in Denver and stayed at St
Vrains State Park just north of Denver. The park is being expanded so
there was some construction that had just been finished, but it was a
nice park. Out in the open, but several ponds and tons of migratory
birds to watch along with the scenery. The downside to being there that
early is the downslope winds off the mountains. I mean STRONG winds too,
we had gusts over 60 mph so no awning or sitting out either because it
was cold. By the time we left on Mother's Day, the weather was making a
big change for the better.

We were in Estes Park at the beginning of May and the roads above 9500
there were still closed for snow and it snowed while we were up there.
Very cool place though and if you're a fan of the original movie "The
Shining" with Jack Nicholson, the Stanley Hotel is in Estes Park and you
can walk thru it or take a ghost tour. I didn't see any ghosts myself.

Two year ago we were over in Moab in June and came across to Denver on
I-70 and the driving was clear and easy over the ridge. This year we'll
be leaving Grand Canyon and Lake Powell at the end of May and crossing
over I-70 around May 25 and I don't expect any problems. That's a major
interstate and if we have to wait a day for them to clear it, we can do
that.

Now off to the RV show in Raleigh, NC to get a case of the "I wants"
that I can't afford :-) Then back to the beach for the rest of the month.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 6579
Many thanks Greg. Don't forget to give us periodic reports when you on your trip west.

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 6580
Don Leslie wrote:

Many thanks Greg. Don't forget to give us periodic reports when you on
your trip west.

Will do. I came oh so close to pulling the trigger on a new 2010 Itasca
35P today at the RV show in Raleigh. I felt the numbers were pretty
darn good and it had everything we wanted except a bit more living room
space, but we could have lived with it. King bed, stackable washer
dryer, four dour fridge with ice maker, good load numbers, full body
paint, etc.

I was oh so close, but DW is very worried since she retired the first of
the month that we'll run out of money.....and I agree you can't have too
much reserve. I really struggled with the decision, but in the end we
didn't do it. May live to regret it, but oh well.

Looks like we'll do the trip again in our trusty Jayco 32SS. I did go by
the storage place today to measure the bathroom cabinet and see if I
could pull it out and put the combo washer/dryer in its place then use a
vessel sink on the cabinet over it. The dimensions really don't look to
bad, but when I pulled the heat vent and looked into the bottom of the
cabinet I saw where they brought the plumbing up thru and it's a bit too
far into the cabinet. If it was about two or three inches to the left
towards the shower, I think it could be done. Of course the heat ducts
are in the way too. So, it would have to be raised about five inches off
the floor and then you're starting to get the sink a bit high. Still
might be doable, but a LOT more work.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 6582
Interesting choice. My concern with the 35P is the wheelbase to length ratio - lower than I'd like. The 32H however is acceptable. It is only 4 inches longer than the 32SS and it has a layout I like. I'm a fan of the u-shaped dinette. The almost 3' difference in length has to come out of somewhere and it is closet space and room for a washer dryer.

Don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 6585
Don Leslie wrote:

Interesting choice. My concern with the 35P is the wheelbase to length
ratio - lower than I'd like. The 32H however is acceptable.

I have to admit that this didn't cross my mind as we were looking. Not
sure how it slipped, but maybe I can claim old age. I should have
compared it to the 32SS, etc.

u-shaped dinette. The almost 3' difference in length has to come out of
somewhere and it is closet space and room for a washer dryer.

True enough. The 35P hit all the checkmarks for DW though. The king bed
and stackable washer/dryer is a must. If we ever do something else,
those two items are prerequisites.

I'm still leaning towards going back to towing though and doing a 5th
wheel. I wish I hadn't sold my truck, but for the ones we've looked at,
I really would have needed a dually anyway.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 6586
Greg, Winnie/Itasca bottom line A Sunstar has a 26P model (9 inches shorter than the Impulse we bought). I looked at it and given size, towing capacity and price it was a candidate - until I made the calculation. Length is 26 ft 11 inches, wheelbase is 158 inches. Stupidity beyond a doubt. Ratio is .489 - one of the worst, if not the worst, I've even seen and IMO not safe at all. Our Impulse is .56+ which is certainly in the safe range. I just don't understand where the product design guys have their heads when they are working.

I had pushed Jayco to do a shorter C since they eliminated all of them about 5 years ago. So, they did - the 26DS - actually 28 ft 9 inches and not as short as I we wanted. Wheelbase is 181. Ratio .524. That was just not acceptable to me. If it was .55 to .56 or more I'd have bought the 26DS. Having said that, several people have said "that would have been a mistake." It has a corner bed and one of us would have been crawling over the other to get to the loo in the middle of the night. The two year Jayco warranty did cross my mind though.

The 35P you like does have a very nice interior design and layout. Add another foot to the wheelbase and it would be far more attractive to me. Having said all that, if we change again and DW gets her way (what's new), we will be moving further down in size yet. Of course, when we go to the Tampa Show my mind becomes unravelled when I get in something like an American Eagle.

On the way to Florida Dave Sparke did brats one evening and we were in his Seneca. Even that had me thinking of moving back up again. But DW suddenly becomes deaf when I think out loud. :(

Don