Skip to main content
Topic: Oil filler hose issue on 5.5 Diesel Onan (Read 775 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil filler hose issue on 5.5 Diesel Onan

Yahoo Message Number: 6624
Just got my genny back in after completing the 1000 hr service(skipped replacing the thermostat and coolant hoses but everything else was done per the manual). For those of you that have heard about the oil filler hose issue, I have taken pictures of my old hose and the fix for the new hose. The issue is that the hose rubs on the fan and eventually wears through (unless you break through the weak spot with the dipstick first). Not sure how many genny's are affected by this, but mine is a 5.5HDKBA-2733B Spec B. Mine also would not start below about 32 degrees. Ended up that the glow plug relay was bad, so that problem should be solved. I'll know for certain tomorrow AM, but it starts much faster in the shop now than it did before I took it out, so I'm confident I'm good there. Not just have 1 more thing to correct. The genny won't stop from the inside panel. There was a wire pinched between the genny and the mount. Not sure if this is a gerry rigged ground (green wire) or if the wire was pinched during a previous R&R and needs to be reconnected, but I'm fairly certain I'll find the issue when I trace this down.

Greg
'05 Endura Duramax

Greg
Sue
Tehya NA, NAJ ,RS-N, GS-N, JS-O, CL2-F, CGC
Eva NA, OAJ, RS-N, GS-N, JS-N, CGC

Re: Oil filler hose issue on 5.5 Diesel Onan

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6625
Attachments :

Sorry, forgot to add that the pictures are in the photo section -' 05 Endura - Greg and Sue' folder

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 6626
    Greg, my Onan oil filler hose failed too, but at the junction of the rubber hose and metal extension. I haven't found a way to gain access to remove the old metal extension retaining bolt without removing the whole generator at a cost of $500.00. How did you replace your hose??

Craig

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 6629
    Genny came out for the 1000 hr service. On the Endura's, it's fairly easy. I had a forklift and did it in our shop, but could likely be done with a motorcycle jack also. The bar that has the door latch comes off and the genny comes straight out the side. I could probably do it now in less than an hour - half an hour if I had everything ready and was 'on the clock'. To replace the hose , there is a mounting bolt on the side of the engine where the metal section of the hose attaches to the block - doubt even knowing exactly where it is that I could get it apart w/o pulling the genny and working from the top.
    Greg

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Craig
    Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:23 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Oil filler hose issue on 5.5 Diesel Onan

Greg, my Onan oil filler hose failed too, but at the junction of the rubber hose and metal extension. I haven't found a way to gain access to remove the old metal extension retaining bolt without removing the whole generator at a cost of $500.00. How did you replace your hose??

Craig

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 6630
    $500 to R and R a genset....sheesh

~
    Victor Burns |
    +1.760.672.8767 Mobile
    +1.760.814.1801 Google Voice

Greg tehya.eva@...> wrote:

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 6649
    Thanks Greg
    Another item to add to the list. Remove and repair generator. I have 2 current problems with my QD 5500. Toggle on one of the circuit breakers is broken off. Plastic end of oil dip-stick has broken off. It must be in bottom of generator crankcase. Been there for 5 year that I have owned MH. I will add the hose to the list of items to repair. Will do a antifreeze change at the same time.
    Thanks for the update on the removing generator from MH. I looked at mine today. While do monthly run on generator. Remove the 2 bolts and cross bar is out. My tractor has a set of quick change pallet forks that should work good to remove the generator. I will try to post pictures when I do this project in June.
    I notice in your remodel pictures that you did not lower the Microwave. My wife complained about it being too high until I lowered it down 6". She is 5' tall. This gave us an additional cabinet above microwave.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 6650
    I won't let my wife read this post, otherwise I'll be building a new cabinet. I think I ran across your update (previous pots or in the photo section)as the upper was in the process of being installed. Would have been a good update on ours also and I have afeeling it will be done in the future.

I'll do a word .doc on my R&R and post it in the file section and let everyone know when I do. Should be in the next few days. Pallet forks should work great. Would like to know what the lift capacity of your tractor is so I know if that may be a future option for me. I have a 2320 Deere with a lift capacity on the bucket of about 850 lbs. Not sure how fast that goes down with the increase in length of the forks. Wish I had taken the time to do pics. Yours will be a great addition when you get that far.

I also have cross references for most of the common filters, etc for those who are out of the warranty period and will post that also. Dayco and Napa do list a cross reference for the coolant belt, but I would not suggest anyone use it. The 'V' profile is wrong and it is too loose even though it is about 1/8" shorter. The Onan belt was actually less $ - just had to drive across town to get it.

Greg
    MN
    '05 Endura

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 6654

Ron wrote:

I have a different model than you, maybe? HDKBA-3590B Spec B.>
    Mine is a -2733B
    Maybe someone else out there knows more about the model numbers on these. My understanding is that the numbers at the end have to do with fittings specific to that genny. May be with a front access door where mine does not or a different air cleaner for example. Possibly the oil filler hose is a little different? It seems there are 2 separate problems with these oil hoses - rubbing like mine and breaking at the place the rubber joins the metal. I do think it must be somewhat complex as it took the parts guy almost a half an hour to find the right page with my specific model number to see what hose I needed. Likely the basic genny is the same and likely has the same Z482E Kubota but something different about the add-ons past the basic unit.
    Greg

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 7163
    Got the generator out of MH today. Greg's info on removing it from MH came in handy. I did take pictures. Will post some when I get organized. Need to take some panels off to see what all is needed to make repairs. My list is:
    Replace broken circuit breaker.
    Replace dip stick.
    Get end of old dip stick out of engine crankcase.
    Fix oil fill hose.
    Change fuel filter.
    Change antifreeze. Check hoses.
    Replace coolant belt.
    Replace Generator belt
    Install new air cleaner.
    If anyone has more to add to the list. Please let me know. Don't want to be pulling it out again for a while.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 7164
    Hi Ron,
    As long as it is out, I would pull the glow plugs to make sure they go in and out freely. Evidently, they can swell if too much voltage is applied and if they swell too much, the head has to be removed to replace them. Mine came out but were a bit snug. The new glow plugs slipped right in. I also assume you don't have any cold start issues. If you have any question about that, test the relay. Mine would only start to about 25 degrees or so (relay was out). It now pops right off at zero - haven't tested it at any colder temps yet. This may be obvious, but test fit the new dipstick in the oil filler while everything is apart. The rubber ball on the end of my dipstick was a fraction too large which made it very difficult to get it in. I assume that either the dipstick or the tube had been replaced at some point and the two didn't quite fit together correctly.

The pics will be a great addition.
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
    Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:35 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Oil filler hose issue on 5.5 Diesel Onan

Got the generator out of MH today. Greg's info on removing it from MH came in handy. I did take pictures. Will post some when I get organized. Need to take some panels off to see what all is needed to make repairs. My list is:
    Replace broken circuit breaker.
    Replace dip stick.
    Get end of old dip stick out of engine crankcase.
    Fix oil fill hose.
    Change fuel filter.
    Change antifreeze. Check hoses.
    Replace coolant belt.
    Replace Generator belt
    Install new air cleaner.
    If anyone has more to add to the list. Please let me know. Don't want to be pulling it out again for a while.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 7166
    Will check the glow plugs
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 7171
    Just wondering Ron. How many hours on your gennie? Chuck

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 7172
    About 250 and over 7 years old. Not many hours. But I broke off a circuit breaker arm. Cannot replace it without taking generator out of MH.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 7251
    A flooring project got in the way of getting this job done. The 4th of July. Then
    . Well you know how it goes.
    Got it done.
    Generator is running great like it always did.
    Put new fill hose and dip stick in.
    New circuit breaker.
    Change oil and Filter.
    Changed air filter.
    Changed antifreeze.
    Cleaned and painted any area that showed rust.
    I took a few hours to get generator installed. My helper was not available to guide me while getting it in place. Climbing on and off tractor to make sure that everything was aligned properly wears me out.
    Took lots of pictures but not of the install.