Skip to main content
Topic: Front Cap peeling/Seneca graphic fade & structural cracks (Read 807 times) previous topic - next topic

Front Cap peeling/Seneca graphic fade & structural cracks

Yahoo Message Number: 6672
I have noticed the "SENECA" decal on my front cap has started to fade and then peel. Closer inspection revealed the clear coat started to flake away and numerous small cracks develop as result of a Colorado hailstorm in July'10. I took the MH to a local body shop who specializes in MH's and he suggested the following course of action, the most important to me was to correct the very small circular cracks in the cap.
After a complete sanding of the cap surface he applied numerous coats of a product made by US Chemical Co. It is called: SMC Structural Repair Compound w/ cream hardener. This product is used for fiberglass and Corvette repair. The white gel coat was repainted with a white automotive paint. The 'oval' is also being repainted to match existing. The 'Seneca' vinyl graphic will not be re-applied. Finally the entire cap will be painted with PPG 3010 clear coat at 2 mill's.

................russ

Re: Front Cap peeling/Seneca graphic fade & structural cracks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6673
Any luck with getting the insurance to help out after the fact ?? Yeah Right !! Sounds like it would be
costly but necessary. Good luck Gary

(No subject)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6674
Hello,
Need advice. What is the experience in using Surge Protectors. Am
thinking about buying the one from Camping World. The 50 amp is
on sale 337.99. Have no ideal how well they work. Looking at the joules
offered would say a lightening strike is not going to be stopped since the
protector is going to have to be faster than the charge from the lightening.
But spikes from the electric might not be enough but what it would
work for that. My understanding is they do shut off if a low or high is
detected, along with providing some other safety nets. Would like
to hear from anyone on what you think of purchasing the item.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Joe

Re:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6676
Well, the last time I answered this question I found out that some people love their surge protectors more than their wives and children. At least they acted like it. But having never learned my lesson...

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is the Progressive Energy Monitor. YYYYYEEEEESSSSS!

Progressive
Real systems have TAPE Advertising photos are pristine

Now this will show you what is going on. Line 1, Line 2, how many amps, what the last failure was, what the current status is... Makes a lot of things simpler.

I have had two surge guards blown. One in the Black Hills and One in Texas. If you saw what it looked like you would never mount one of these babies in side your unit. External is Good, Internal is Bad. Trust me.

The sure guard works fine, and on the Texas strike I did loose the sureguard (As well as an inverter and sound system). The Sureguard came with my used Kodiak and Sureguard would not fix/replace because it was the middle of the recession and everyone was loosing money, they were loosing their shirts on warranty expenses, I had no receipt....Yada, Yada, Yada. Well Fine - I liked the progressive better anyway, and it had a better service reputation, so I switched. And I am glad I did. I think I got the best deal on Tweetys.com at the time.

Is it worth it? Just ask the 5th wheels that had to have their wiring replaced in the Black Hills strike. Plus it has clued me into some camp sights with under voltage, bad ground, & other issues. Also the 4 minute timer keeps momentary outages from blowing your Air conditioners.

So go with Surge Guard (saved me twice) or with Progressive (Love it!) but do one or the other. Nothing is not an option. Oh and covering internal devices with a plug in model or power strip is not a bad idea either.

Kevin
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

P.S. Don't let them push you around. Progressive IS better.

P.P.S. It is worth it. Just do it.

K

Re:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6677
Joe Eveld wrote:

Need advice. What is the experience in using Surge Protectors.

The short answer is any is better than none, but the longer answer is
you can spend a lot of money on them depending on what you want. I
neglected to buy one for years and finally broke down and bought this
version after recommendations from the list here a few years ago.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt50c.htm

I bought it from a place in Texas, although they're made about 10 miles
from my house, they don't sell direct. I paid about $350 and I love it.
One park owner was initially upset with me for complaining about a power
problem when my neighbors didn't seem to be complaining, but he finally
called the power company after coming and seeing the low voltage I was
showing on the digital read-out. While he was there, my neighbor came
over and asked if my A/C unit was making weird noises. We moved the
device to his post and saw he was getting periodic low voltage too. The
power company came and found some severely eroded connectors up on a
pole along with a miswired distribution box in the park.

I think this thing is worth every penny I paid for it and then some. It
can be frustrating when it cuts off due to low voltage or high voltage,
but in the end it saves equipment. It won't let any power thru until
it's satisfied all is well. It also gives error codes so you can tell
the park owners exactly what the problem is.

Take care,
Greg

Re:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6680
It appears that is an out of date table if it was done in 2003. I have a Surge Guard and I sure do have theft protection and a few other features that it says are not included. Time for someone to update that table.

About 5 years ago we kept getting shut down because the Voltage was too high - well over 240. We called Florida Power and Light and they came out and found the entire park was way over. Then they found the entire area was too high and had to adjust the grid. During that period a number of owners in the park had modems and other electronic items fail. The problem is proving it to get the power company to cover it.

When we first came to this park in 2004 we had the same problem and FPL came out and cursed our Surge Guard and said we should not use it. Then they checked and an entire section of the park was up at 260V. Ironically, they pedal a "whole house" surge protector in their literature.

So, I swear by mine and "won't leave home without it."

I have the portable unit and when we've changed motorhomes it has moved with us and it is now in its fourth home. The price was well worth it.

You won't get complete protection - for example, a fellow here in our park had lightening travel down an antenna and damage (covered by insurance) was $30,000. Virtually every electronic item had to be replaces.

Don

Re:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 6681
I bought the same one at CW. Not sure if that is the sale price or not as they do go on sale from time to time. Not sure if good or bad but someone else said better than nothing and have not had any issues with it. Have it cabled to the RV and to the cord so would be a little harder to steal, not theft proof, but what is.

Keith

Re:

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6682
TRC sells a locking gasp that is very strong. It fits over the male end of the power cord and female end of the surge protector. Since my Greyhawk Kodiak had an external power connection (unlike my two DPs) I would run the power cable next to the generator cage where I'd secure it with a steel cable. In addition, many pedestals have a lockable door and I'd lock it as well. Very secure.

Don

Re:

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 6683
Interesting that the Progressive hard wire version has a 3 year warranty and the plug in version is a 1 year warranty. Just when I think I'm getting caught up on my 'need to get' list. Hopefully I'll never have to find out if it was a good investment or not. Thanks for shortening the learning curve everyone.
Greg
MN

(No subject)

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6684
I have had a Surge Guard for several years. It has helped me out twice. One time at home with my own electrical power feeding my out buildings. Other was while in Mesa last month. One leg of the 50 amp circuit breaker was loosing connection. Both of these can cause damage to you RV electrical system. I have never had a lighting hit to check system out. Hope I never need it for that type of electrical fault. Mine is installed in electrical compartment.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: $303.99

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 6702
Just an FYI I have always found Tweetys.com to match and beat any advertised price. You just have to ask them. Also fast shipping and easy return policy.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lmyersmaui@...
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 12:03 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re:$303.99

I usually don't find Camping World to be the best pricing. Try
http://www.adventurerv.net/portable-surge-guard-protector-120240v-amp-p-2762.html?osCsid=igg0i7qhlslrcsbnajojn5vvj1

$303.99 seems to me a better price!
Larry Myers

(No subject)

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 6675
Hi Joe,

After seeing a burned out travel trailer due to lightning striking a nearby power pole, I bought a 50 amp surge protector. I don't know if it protects from that but an incorrectly wired park could easily send 240 volts your way and the 2 minutes the surge protector checks power before allowing it to reach your rig makes it well worth the investment. I don't know about you, but I've got $20K in electronics in my rig and $337.99 is cheap insurance.

Bill