Skip to main content
Topic: Battery load tester (Read 602 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery load tester

Yahoo Message Number: 6985
Hi folks

Any reommendation on battery load testers?
I have used the water tester. However I would like to hook up the cables and read, it would be easier than pulling cables, taking covers off, busting knuckles and etc...
There are some cheap ones out there but not sure which one would do it .
Do I need 100 or 200 amp?
Amazon has several reasonable
Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
Btw I want to check house batteries more often
Thanks
Mo

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Re: Battery load tester

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6986
Sorry Mo but I can't help you with a review on a moderately priced tester. One of the guys in the race shop spent the big money on a YA2636 Snap On tester. It's by far the best I've ever used, but at $400+, it better be.
Greg
MN

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6988
Don,

thanks

I did see these, I guess can not go that wrong with one of them.

I did see some are 100 some are 200 amp, not sure if it makes any difference for the use I will do.

I have a harborfreight in town, I can go there and get one.
thanks
Mo

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6989
Mo, if you do buy one of these can you let us know how well it serves its purpose. If you find it provided good info I may buy one as well.

Tx

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6990
We also have one here that is similar to the first item (100A tester). It served our purpose for basic load testing for many years. It won't tell you specifically if you have a bad cell but it should drop quickly and read NG if you do. We also had a Snap On carbon pile tester many years ago. It was expensive at the time (1970's) but it worked well. I think the biggest reason to go to that VS the 100A tester is that you have to let the coils cool down in item 1 between tests (5 minutes) and it should have a much larger amp rating. I talked to Dave who owns the meters here and he said he saw a knockoff import version to the Snap On digital tester he owns at Harbor Freight a few weeks ago for around $100. Easier to read and would be usefull for checking starters etc as 100A really isn't enough to check most starters, certainly not on the Kodaik.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-automotive-battery-analyzer-66892.html
Greg
MN