Skip to main content
Topic: Hwy 407 (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic

Hwy 407

Yahoo Message Number: 7028
When we got our first MH in 2003 I started hounding 407etr on a number of issues - and one was motorhomes. Many owners from other parts of the country and the US would venture on to 407 (no toll booths) and end up with whopper of a bill. The problem at the south west end was that the huge sign indicating that vehicles over 5 tonnes had to have a transponder was on the right hand side of Hwy 403 and anyone in a MH planning to bypass Toronto would be in the left hand lane since it exits to 407. Thus, most would not see the 407 transponder warning sign.

I also tackled them on billing getting them to bill transponders annually instead of monthly (we'd get a silly charge for a couple of bucks even month during our 5.5 months in Florida). They followed through on that and now we get bill annually for two transponders which we only used twice last year now that we live near Windsor.

I tried to get them to follow the Australian system used near Melbourne. It operates like 407etr but if you don't have a transponder, before you enter the toll road you can phone them, give them your license number and credit card number and they bill it. This is how 407 should be doing it. They also told me that their scanners can identify the size of the vehicle and I suggested they have an intermediate rate for RV's rather than use the commercial truck rate - which is brutal.

Having said that, it appears that they have finally reduced the video toll charge (from $50 to $15) but to travel the entire length (108 KM or 67 miles) is ridiculously expensive even at the 10 am to 3 pm off peak rate ($78).

When we have gone to the east coast we've travelled 401, but after 10AM.

The fare calculation below is from http://www5.407etr.com/highway/map.html?tc=1 I suspect the paste in below might not work properly or the values in the variable input fields could change.

left