Skip to main content
Topic: Auto Satellites (Read 726 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto Satellites

Yahoo Message Number: 7322
Hey All,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm curious to know what auto satellite people on this list prefer and why.

The two major brands seem to be Wineguard and King Dome...One option Wineguard has is a portable version of the satellite, but does the portability factor outweigh the extra hassle of having to set it up every stop?

Opinions, thoughts?

Thank you!
Wyatt

Re: Auto Satellites

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7324
Having a automatic dome on top is a good thing. But if you camp where there are a lot of trees you may have a problem getting it to find satellite/s. I carry a portable dish for occasions where good access to the sky does not exist.
If you want HD, consider the Wineguard Traveler.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7325
We ended up buying the portable carryout along with the ladder mount. It can be removed if needed to clear the trees. Also, as Ron said you can carry a freestanding dish as well to use if needed.

I ran the wires so there is a connection point in one of the compartments

http://www.winegard.com/carryout/index.php

Dave Sparke

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7326
I have the roof automatic and would never do that again. Brother in law has the portable and it works better than any roof mounted automatic dish

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7327
Dane, if one wants to watch TV while traveling (we are not in that category) one needs the In Motion unit on the roof - otherwise it is tough having DW run behind the MH holding up the portable dish and continually changing its direction to pick up the signal. :)

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7328
The first thing to consider is if you want to receive HD programing. There are no domed units( TOO SMALL DISH TO RECEIVE HD) that receive HD. ON our past RV, our Forestriver Lexington we had a King Dome which worked OK for non HD. When we bought the Seneca and have the HD flatscreens we went with the Winegard TRAV'LER DIRECTV Slimline Mobile HD Satellite Antenna. It works perfectly even in rain with no loss of signal.
Hope this helps.
Larry Myers

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7330
I have used both the Weingard and King Dome roof tops. For me, the Winegard was less problems and less rain fade (not HD units). The portable units make me nervous. That's a lot of money sitting all alone in a campsite at night. If we're in a bad location, I use my Apple TV and the TV antenna.
George

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7331
George, thanks for the wake up call. I have 3 Apple TV's (one of the original with HD and two current) and it never occurred to me to take one along and use it with wifi in a park. Good idea.

Thanks

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7332
Just for info:

The portable unit will work with DISH HD but not DIRECT so it depends on which service you have. We don't worry about HD in the MH so we still have our DIRECT service. The new DISH, "Pay as you go", features HD but no DVR that I am aware of, but it might be available. As to theft it also has a ring attached for using a pad-lock and chain if you want to secure it.

Dave Sparke

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7333
I have the King Dome 5904LP that is HD and it works perfectly. I also use it with the HD receiver from the house. No problems. Of course I don't park under a tree.
Denny

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 7334
I live in NW and rain and wet snow always made my winegard dome not work. I have heard dry snow is fine.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:46 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Auto Satellites

I have the King Dome 5904LP that is HD and it works perfectly. I also use it with the HD receiver from the house. No problems. Of course I don't park under a tree.

Denny

On Jul 30, 2011, at 11:00, Dave Sparke mnsprk@...> wrote:

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 7336
That's what I have and love it. No rain/snow fade.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lmyersmaui@...
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:09 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Auto Satellites

The first thing to consider is if you want to receive HD programing. There are no domed units( TOO SMALL DISH TO RECEIVE HD) that receive HD. ON our past RV, our Forestriver Lexington we had a King Dome which worked OK for non HD. When we bought the Seneca and have the HD flatscreens we went with the Winegard TRAV'LER DIRECTV Slimline Mobile HD Satellite Antenna. It works perfectly even in rain with no loss of signal.
Hope this helps.
Larry Myers

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 7337
I use the old Apple TV with the hard drive, load 100+ movies and shows then delete (in a special way) from my computer to save space. Great to use in camper or home during summer re-run season.

George

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 7338
I have the KVH R6 and love it. It is an in motion sat. We use our RV for going to a lot of football games and TV is a must when driving on a weekend in the fall. I had a KVH ?3 before and it was a mess. Outdated when I bought it and needed software updates all the time. It would lock on anything that shined in the shy. The R6 with a interface box works great for us. Turn on the power and it has a lock on a Direct TV sat with in 15-30 seconds. I have been using it for 2 years and no problems here in Michigan. It has GPS to help find a signal and a heating element to help keep the morning dew off. I only wish I could have HD for direct tv when set up for a tailgate.

Bryce