Skip to main content
Topic: 2006 34ss koni shocks part number (Read 1541 times) previous topic - next topic

2006 34ss koni shocks part number

Yahoo Message Number: 7539
hello folks,
just got back to socal after a 5000 mile trip. the seneca did very well and my wife and i had no real problems other then a stuck engine brake. removed the brake and cleaned and lubed it and it has worked fine the last 3000 miles.
in terms of handling it was not to bad as we have air bags.... i am going to put koni shocks on....need part number for 05 34ss?
also the headlights are a joke! need part numbers for the headlight mod you folks have done.
the rear slider tends to want slowly move out at the bottom while underway on rough roads, i will make a small block to hold it in.
we never overheated but got up to 230 a couple times in the rocky mtn's and the high desert grades. any hints in terms of keeping the beast cool? i might add a mister.
one last note... i had my oil changed at gates chevy in south bend indiana and they only put in 7 quarts of oil in.....i mile out the oil light came on. thank god i had a gallon of oil with me. i called them and said the kodiak takes 14.6 quarts! no harm done.

thank you very much! i hope to get the koni shocks on and the headlights done this week then heading to yellowstone for a week or so.

bill

Re: 2006 34ss koni shocks part number

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7540
Did you see 230 on the OEM gauge or did you see it on a digital readout. The OEM gauge is not very accurate. If your engine did not go into limp mode. Cooling was good. You should have heard the fan engage at that temperature. Best thing to do is slow down to cool engine down.
You may want to try a Speedco for a oil change when on the road. Cheaper and better service. http://www.speedcousa.com/index.php
Cannot help with the Koni's. I have Bilstiens.
I put Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and did a alignment. Worked well for me. Others have put HID conversions in.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7541
What engine brake do you have installed? Do you have the integrated exhaust/turbo like most of us do or do you have both that and an inline exhaust pipe brake?
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:56 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 2006 34ss koni shocks part number

hello folks,
just got back to socal after a 5000 mile trip. the seneca did very well and my wife and i had no real problems other then a stuck engine brake. removed the brake and cleaned and lubed it and it has worked fine the last 3000 miles.
in terms of handling it was not to bad as we have air bags.... i am going to put koni shocks on....need part number for 05 34ss?
also the headlights are a joke! need part numbers for the headlight mod you folks have done.
the rear slider tends to want slowly move out at the bottom while underway on rough roads, i will make a small block to hold it in.
we never overheated but got up to 230 a couple times in the rocky mtn's and the high desert grades. any hints in terms of keeping the beast cool? i might add a mister.
one last note... i had my oil changed at gates chevy in south bend indiana and they only put in 7 quarts of oil in.....i mile out the oil light came on. thank god i had a gallon of oil with me. i called them and said the kodiak takes 14.6 quarts! no harm done.

thank you very much! i hope to get the koni shocks on and the headlights done this week then heading to yellowstone for a week or so.

bill

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7542
KONI has the numbers on their web site but the rears depend on which springs you have 15,000 or 19,000 also some of the mounts are different.. They list both. http://www.konirv.com/ Click on products. The FSD are available for front and rear on the 15,000 but the adjustables are only available for the 19,000.

Like Ron, I went to the Silver Stars and had the headlights aligned. Made a huge difference.

Dave Sparke

Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:56 PM

hello folks,

bill

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7543
Bill,

I changed to Koni's, they are great and the fronts are the same for most Seneca's but the rears do depend on the springs. There was an intial problem with which ones to use and for my 2008 36MS that have the 19000lb springs. It was the 90-2530 units. They do a great job in fact I have not had to do anything else for ride and suspension.

For the headlights, I did something a little different. Here is what I purchased from buyheadlightbulbs.com:

HEL-003177001 Hella H4651 Sealed Beam Conversion 6.5x4"
2  $89.99  $179.98 HEL-H83140272 Hella High Performance Xenon Blue H4 Bulbs
2  $26.99  $53.98 CP-9102 Circuit Performance H4 Heavy Duty Harness
2  $0.00  $0.00 AGS-BG-1 AGS Bulb Grease
2  $0.00  $0.00

They work great and if I ever wanted to do an HID upgrade I have the new sealed beam so I can make the change. This was a very cost effective upgrade that made a huge improvement at night.

In regards to your overheating, my question would be how steep was the grade?, how longs in minutes was the grade?, Lastly, what gear did you have it in going up the hill and were you towing? These questions make a big difference in how your vehicle will perform in the hills. Frankly, I was disappointed when I got my Seneca and going throught the hills. I'm loaded around 27,350lbs with my RV, tow dolly and 2006 Honda Odyssey and until I increased my horsepower a little, it made such a huge performance difference in the hills and grades that nothing stops me going up around 50-55 mph comfortably. I will advocate that investing in a pyrometer is one of the most important investments you can make for your Diesel RV. I also made a minor exhaust modification to help it breath a little easier.

My point with all this is if your getting up the hill easier it will allow for your engine to run smoother and cooler while getting you through the mountains.

Good Luck,

Tim

Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:56 PM

hello folks,

bill

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7544
Tim,
I have a Scangauge 2  that i use to read engine temp. The baker grade in 106 f temps running 3rd gear at about 47mph gave me 220ish. never got a code just was thinking this rig gets hot quick. In terms of the fan clutch...sounds like it engages at about 220 in 3rd gear but if i hop up a gear it seems to disengage?

thanks
bill

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7546
It could be that your model gets hot quicker. I have a dash command app for my iPhone and my temp never get over 218. This is consistent with the dash gauge. After 203-205 temp my fan will kick in until it gets cooler.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7547
They are the same numbers as the stock bulbs, just Silver Stars instead of Halogen. 4651st and 4656st if I remember correctly. Check your owners manual to be sure.

Dave Sparke

Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] 2006 34ss koni shocks part number

Dave,
Do you have the Silver Stars part number?

thanks, bill

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7548
Tim, how have you linked to the OBD II from your phone?

Tx

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7549
I do, I bought the cable from golink which connects my iPhone to the OBDII port and then I use the Dash Command app that provides me with lots of colorful gauges and provides me with a lot of data from my RV during our trips.

There are other ways like wifi or Bluetooth options but I always felt the hard wire option was the fastest most reliable. I ran the wire through my dash and it has a custom look.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 7552
I thought it would be nice to use with my iPad. I might give the $5 Fuzzy product a try first. My iPod touch will also work for this purpose but I like the large screen on the iPad. When we cross the border I yank the Bell Canada card and insert the AT&T card and it is seamless switch.

Tx

Don

The morning after

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 7554
Wild night in the Walmart parking lot in Plattsburgh, NY, but all is well this morning. I just got back from checking the RV park we moved out of and it faired pretty well. A few trees down and a boil water order in effect. Sunny and clear with some winds remaining but it's a typical morning after. The folks up here are really not geared for hurricanes like we are in NC, but they did a good job trying to convince people what can happen. The rivers are raging like I've never seen and I used to dive with the flood water recovery team here in the early 70's.

Now to move back to the park and continue this fiasco of a trip...dog had emergency oral surgery a couple days ago on the road too...oh yeah and the furnace is up to it's old temperamental self.

Take care,
Greg

Re: The morning after

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 7555

I'm heading home to RI today from PA (I80-I287-95). Neighbors say lines are down across my road/driveway, and others are sagging due to trees down. They believe I can get the RV into the drive. What is the best recommendation to use the RV generator to power some items in the home. I will kill the main breakers into the house, but what is the best point to get power from the rv to the house? I am thinking to run extension cords from the outlets in the power bay to the house, any thoughts?

Roger

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 7556
Are you talking about trying to energize the whole house from the RV? You'll want to be careful with voltage drop by the time you feed power through the RV wiring, through the extension cord, and then through the house wiring you could damage some electrical items. I wouldn't try to run off a branch circuit you can easily end up drawing more then the wiring is rated for. If it looks like its going to be a long term thing I would get SO cord sized appropriately for the generator breaker and come right off the breaker, #6 for a 50Amp breaker. Kill the main breaker to your house and LOCK IT OFF, make sure that the location you are tying in the power to can not become energized by the utility while you're working. Tie in the cables from the Generator to the house panel, shut off nonessential loads on the house circuit breakers, AC Condensers, Range, hot tub etc.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 7558
This last weekend when heading up Parley's Canyon, I80 East of Salt Lake City I got really hot again. Outside air was about 98degrees How noticeable is the fan when it kicks on? I got up to about 245 and had to take it very slow, I still don't think the fan kicked on and I didn't see it cool down at all until we started down the other side. I called a GM shop in Salt Lake and was going to get an appt to get it looked at. He said he didn't know what temp the fan should engage but that I would likely see temperatures get up that high with the heat we're having and I shouldn't worry about it unless the dash light came on.... I still worry about it.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 7559
Last Thurs. we came across wyoming on the I-80 to the I-15 in Salt Lake City. I hit a few 225's. When going up the Baker grade in Ca on the I-15 we hit a 235 on the scanguage ii. When i slowed down to about 45 in 3rd gear and got the RPM's up it cooled down and stayed at about 218. The outside temp at the Baker grade was 108. It seems to me the fan clutch will only engage and spool up the fan to a higher RPM in 3rd gear or lower? Any one know?
bill,
2006 Seneca 34ss

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 7561
Mine kicks in at 205 degrees, it's noticeable, very noticeable because it sounds like the engine is revving up.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 7562
My main concern is running a line for the refrigerator.

leej211979 jlee@...> wrote:

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 7563
Check I-287 maybe shut down by I-80 road was washed out.
On Aug 29, 2011 10:15 AM, rsri1@...> wrote:
> I'm heading home to RI today from PA (I80-I287-95). Neighbors say lines

are down across my road/driveway, and others are sagging due to trees down.
They believe I can get the RV into the drive. What is the best
recommendation to use the RV generator to power some items in the home. I will kill the
main breakers into the house, but what is the best point to get power from
the rv to the house? I am thinking to run extension cords from the outlets
in the power bay to the house, any thoughts?

Roger

In a message dated 8/29/2011 10:05:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
 writes:

Wild night in the Walmart parking lot in Plattsburgh, NY, but all is well
this morning. I just got back from checking the RV park we moved out of and
it faired pretty well. A few trees down and a boil water order in effect.
Sunny and clear with some winds remaining but it's a typical morning after.
The folks up here are really not geared for hurricanes like we are in NC,
but they did a good job trying to convince people what can happen. The
rivers are raging like I've never seen and I used to dive with the flood water re
covery team here in the early 70's.

Now to move back to the park and continue this fiasco of a trip...dog had
emergency oral surgery a couple days ago on the road too...oh yeah and the
furnace is up to it's old temperamental self.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 7565
Glad u both and families are ok. Been in our prayers

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 7571

Fan may be and likely is dead....Its OBVIOUS when it kicks on. Mine failed and I had to replace the whole electric fan unit at 7k miles.

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Kodiak Dutchmen Diesel 34H

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 7572
Our fans are thermal. Filled with silicone. When temperature reaches a given temperature, silicone clutch engages and starts fan spinning.
I hope you did not pay for a electric fan when none exist.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 7574

No acually on my later year chassis, 2007 for my 2008 coach is indeed ALL Electronic, no old fashioned thermal silicone glob to heat up.

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Kodiak Dutchmen Diesel 34H

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 7577
Learn something new everyday. Found this info in my Service Manual.

The ECM controls the EV fan clutch engagement. The ECM regulates a 12-volt pulse width modulated signal (PWM) to the cooling fan relay. The PWM signal determines the ON time of the relay. As the commanded state of the fan clutch increases, so does the ON time of the relay. This ON time directly effects the amount of time the solenoid, which is internal to the fan clutch, is energized. When the solenoid in the fan clutch is energized, it opens the spring loaded valve and allows fluid to flow from the storage chamber to the fluid coupling of the cooling fan clutch, increasing the fan speed. When the solenoid is de-energized, the spring loaded valve closes, and blocks the path of the fluid to the fluid coupling of the fan clutch, reducing fan speed.

The fan has the ability to create a feedback signal, so the ECM has an actual fan speed input. This is done with a hall effect sensor internal to the fan clutch. The ECM supplies a 5-volt reference and a low reference to the hall effect sensor. The hall effect sensor returns a signal pulse through the cooling fan speed signal circuit in response to the reluctor track passing by the magnetic field of the hall effect sensor.

The scan tool can engage the cooling fan clutch. This is done with the engine controls special function menu screen. To engage the cooling fan, It can take up to 2 minutes for a 100 percent command with the engine at 2,000 RPM. The lower the engine speed, the longer it will take the fan to engage. To disengage the cooling fan, it can take up to 2 minutes with the engine at 2,000 RPM. The lower the engine speed, the longer it will take to disengage. In lower ambient air temperatures the cooling fan will engage in less time, however, it will take longer to disengage due to the properties of the fluid vs. temperature.

Under certain conditions the cooling fan may be engaged at engine restart. They are as follows:

• The cooling fan was engaged at the time the engine was turned off.

• The fluid may bleed from the storage chamber into the fluid coupling of the cooling fan.

Although the fan is commanded off at this time due to a cold start condition. This is the most likely time a vehicle driver will notice that the fan noise is excessive compared to normal engine starts with out cooling fan engaged. As the engine speed is increased the fan noise will be louder than before. These are normal conditions that can be very intermittent.

Best
Ron Hall