Skip to main content
Topic: Center of gravity (Read 568 times) previous topic - next topic

Center of gravity

Yahoo Message Number: 598

Does anybody know how to determine the front to rear Center of Gravity (COG)? I know you can weigh one side while lifting the other side, which gives you the side to side COG, but I already know that with the drivers side sagging 4-5" and 1800 lbs heavier, that COG is left of center.

What I could not figure out is the front to rear COG... when I weighed the coach empty of passengers, the drivers side front axle was 3000#. When I loaded the coach will 600# of water, and 1225# of cargo, including myself, the drivers side front axle STILL weighed 3000#...with my 230# frame, that corner should have weighed at least 3230#. The results leads me to believe that by loading the coach with cargo, I actually unloaded the front axle, and adding my weight provided the ballast to keep the numbers at 3000#. If I had not been in the coach, that axle would have been less than the empty weight, which means I have a COG behind the rear axle, which is a no-no... sorry for the long post, but if anyone knows about COG, could they give us a formula or something?

Thanks,

Denny

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.