Skip to main content
Topic: Sweetheart Rally and trip back to McAllen TX. (Read 1032 times) previous topic - next topic

Sweetheart Rally and trip back to McAllen TX.

Yahoo Message Number: 8524
Had a great time at the Sweet Heart Rally with Kevin, Gary, Don and their wives. Ate to much and enjoyed the company. The other attendees were great also.
Made it to within 50 miles of of McAllen when left front tire had a blowout at 65 mph. This has never happened to me before. Very loud bang. Then rumble of a flat tire. No problems with keeping control and getting MH off to side of road. Tire shows no signs of cut or puncher. Just blew out. The GY670 tire was 7 years old with a little over 50,000 miles. I was planing replacing this and the other front tire this week. Tire dealer had called last week to tell me the tires I ordered were in.
The tire sensor for this tire failed before we left Kerrville. So I do not know the temperature or pressure of the tire before blowout. I did check temperature when I got stopped. It was not any hotter than other front tire. For some reason I have had 6 failures of my TPMS since last October. TST is suppose to call me tomorrow to come up with a fix.
Took 2 hours to get a tire repair service out to my location. Then they used a socket 1/8" oversize to remove lug nuts. Rounded all 8 lug nuts corners. Not happy about that. Spare was low at 50 psi. Service truck did not have tools to check air or put air in. Another thing to not be happy with. Air the tire up with my small air compressor.
Overall not a bad experience. No one hurt or any damage to MH. Road Service could have been better. Will pursue this with my road service provider.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Sweetheart Rally and trip back to McAllen TX.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8525
Ron,

it seems like just yesterday we were talking abut you getting the fronts replaced when you returned to mcallen.

a pleasure meeting you and Betty and it was good to put faces to the other members names.

watched rig after rig pull out here today

don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8526
Sorry to hear about the tire problems but glad to hear you had a great time otherwise. I'll be adding a ¾" drive 30mm (I believe but I need to double check)impact socket for the lug nuts to my onboard tools just in case the road service guy that will likely be in my future at some point doesn't have one.
Greg
MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 8:13 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Sweetheart Rally and trip back to McAllen TX.

Had a great time at the Sweet Heart Rally with Kevin, Gary, Don and their wives. Ate to much and enjoyed the company. The other attendees were great also.
Made it to within 50 miles of of McAllen when left front tire had a blowout at 65 mph. This has never happened to me before. Very loud bang. Then rumble of a flat tire. No problems with keeping control and getting MH off to side of road. Tire shows no signs of cut or puncher. Just blew out. The GY670 tire was 7 years old with a little over 50,000 miles. I was planing replacing this and the other front tire this week. Tire dealer had called last week to tell me the tires I ordered were in.
The tire sensor for this tire failed before we left Kerrville. So I do not know the temperature or pressure of the tire before blowout. I did check temperature when I got stopped. It was not any hotter than other front tire. For some reason I have had 6 failures of my TPMS since last October. TST is suppose to call me tomorrow to come up with a fix.
Took 2 hours to get a tire repair service out to my location. Then they used a socket 1/8" oversize to remove lug nuts. Rounded all 8 lug nuts corners. Not happy about that. Spare was low at 50 psi. Service truck did not have tools to check air or put air in. Another thing to not be happy with. Air the tire up with my small air compressor.
Overall not a bad experience. No one hurt or any damage to MH. Road Service could have been better. Will pursue this with my road service provider.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8527
Sorry to hear about your tire problem. The key point is that no one was hurt and you got the MH off the road in a safe manner. I spent over $2,000 dollars on 6 tires at 50K miles w/o any tire failure. I do listen to my fellow KODIAK owners re. tires. It's a shame the tire man did not have the correct socket to change the tire.
As I mentioned in a post yesterday Claudia and I were at a small local 3 day FMCA chapter rally this past weekend. When we returned home the house had been burglarized. They must have been young kids because they missed the good NIKON camera and some other high ticket items. They only took what would fit in a small bag. Insurance carrier and police report have been filed. They got in thru a closed bathroom window (not locked) and exited the front door.
Looking forward to spending some time in Mesa with Ron & Nancy...........russ

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8528
30mm is the correct size. 3/4" may need a 1" adapter. That is the size impact wrench service truck had. They had a 1/2" impact wrench with 30mm socket. But it would not loosen lug nuts.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8529
Wow would not like coming home to that kind of problem. Maybe you need a Alarm. Our has worked well for over 30 years. Hope it never goes off for this reason.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8530
Don enjoyed meeting you and Diane. Looking forward to your travel reports.
The bulb for your basement light are called FESTOON. Look for 5050 SMD white bright.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8531
Ron Hall wrote:

Made it to within 50 miles of of McAllen when left front tire had a
blowout at 65 mph. This has never happened to me before. Very loud bang.
Then rumble of a flat tire. No problems with keeping control

That's good news that it stayed well under control. I don't know if it's
still there, but Michelin used to have a very good video on what to do
if you lose a tire in a truck or RV. The key point was not to brake (or
quickly remove your foot from the gas) like most people do from a gut
reaction. They key is to actually accelerate for the initial moment to
alleviate the resulting sideways vector. It certainly made sense (even
though it's been many years since I worked with vector diagrams)

Thru the magical world of google, I found the link to the RV tire
information at Michelin. Good videos professionally done.

http://tinyurl.com/2z4p7z

used a socket 1/8" oversize to remove lug nuts. Rounded all 8 lug nuts
corners. Not happy about that.

Ouch, this isn't good! That would get me a bit upset too. I guess maybe
I need to be sure to carry the proper socket with me for just this reason.

Service could have been better. Will pursue this with my road service
provider.

Who are you using for service? I've got the Good Sam plan, but have
never used it.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8532
Sorry to hear your house was robbed. It worries me as well as we are gone so much. We have a close community and watch for each other.
I was glad to see you in Quartzite but sorry we didn't get to spend some time. Maybe next year.
We had a great time with our friends from back east. It was their first time in Quartzite and they were in AH.
I'm about to drop some dimes on a new set tires myself. Six years and only 36K but starting to show some weathering. Got to stay safe.
Regards
Denny, Bev and Molly the Boston Terrorist.

We

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8534
It happened so fast that I do not remember how I handled keeping things under control. But I did not step on brake until I saw a good place to pull over. Having seen the Michelin video I hope that is how I reacted to the situation.
My Road Service Provider is Coach-Net. Not sure that it would have made a difference though if I had GS. They all have the same call/provider list. I have never used my service before yesterday.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8539
Attachments :

Sorry for unexpected problems on your return. We have been very fortunate here as quite a few other homes in the neighborhood have had issues with break ins. My best friend is retired PD and his advice has been make it easy for the thieves to go elsewhere. We have an alarm but I make sure there are alarm signs visible and landscape lighting for the night hours along with interior lighting set at random intervals. We have dogs during the day inside but that doesn't help when we are at the cabin or agility trials as the dogs are with us. So far we have been spared the violation you have endured. I hope this is the last time.
    Enjoy Mesa.
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Russ Hill
    Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 9:33 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Sweetheart Rally and trip back to McAllen TX.

Sorry to hear about your tire problem. The key point is that no one was hurt and you got the MH off the road in a safe manner. I spent over $2,000 dollars on 6 tires at 50K miles w/o any tire failure. I do listen to my fellow KODIAK owners re. tires. It's a shame the tire man did not have the correct socket to change the tire.

As I mentioned in a post yesterday Claudia and I were at a small local 3 day FMCA chapter rally this past weekend. When we returned home the house had been burglarized. They must have been young kids because they missed the good NIKON camera and some other high ticket items. They only took what would fit in a small bag. Insurance carrier and police report have been filed. They got in thru a closed bathroom window (not locked) and exited the front door.

Looking forward to spending some time in Mesa with Ron & Nancy...........russ

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 8543
    Very interesting. I have suffered a two blowouts recently on another vehicle. The tires looked good on the exterior yet they still blew. I checked with a friend of mine who runs big rigs. He says that the compounds in the rubber breaks down after seven years. Apparently it doesn't matter whether the tires are exposed to the sun or not. The tires that blew on me we probably older that seven years. So it is interesting that your tire was seven years old when it failed.

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 8544
    We are glad to hear that you both are safe and all went OK. As always you are right on top of things !!!
    The light bulbs we got the large round ones do you remember what the name and size are ? For future information.
    They work great, alot brighter than the one I had in. Do they come brighter yet ? Or if going for that go back to regular bulbs.
    We are going to have to replace tires also so this just reinforces the idea of can't put it off too long
    or risk safety. Did you check out the rv net discount for Michlein's or just hunt for best price and location ??

We had a GREAT time at Sweet Heart rally

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 8545
    Here is a link to the bulbs you got from me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-T10-194-168-W5W-921-White-BULB-12-5050SMD-LED-White-leds-DIY-/260905815773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf32cedd

That is about as bright as you can get at this time. Some fixtures will give you a brighter light with that light. A little search will get you better prices if you order more than 1.
    I did a lot of investigation on the tires. Did not want Michelin. Final price was $363 each. Dates on tires are less than 6 months old.

Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 8546
    To your statement,"Did not want Michilen", was it because of price or some other reason? I'm in the market for new tires and value your opinion Ron.
    Denny

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 8548
    Denny, I had XRV's on a Winnie Journey - the were TERRIBLE. I'd never put them on or buy a MH with the XRV's. BUT most other Michelins would be fine. I have them on our current unit and no complaints.

Don

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 8549
    My experience with Michelin's is not good. Although I never had a flat they were worn out at less than 50,000 miles. They continue to have problems with cracks on the side walls. Plus they are priced at about $100 to $150 dollars more than other brands. While in Kerrville Gary and I looked at his XZE tires. They have cracks in them. They are about the same age as my old GY's. When a dealer is telling customers the cracks are normal. I question the quality of these tires.
    I got 7 years and over 50,000 miles on my GY's. Michelin's are being changed out at much less miles and years. I did some research on the tires I bought. Was close to buying some Hankooks or GT tires until I found the tires I bought.
    What ever you buy. Look at one load range rating higher or if you have 225's look at 245's.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 8550
    Thanks. I thought that maybe I was missing something important. I presently have XZEs that are 6 years old. Tread is good but starting to show weather cracking. Not bad but concerning. Thanks for replying.
    Denny

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 8553
    Goodyear G647 RSS 245/70R 19.5 Load range G. Friend put these tires on a Class A with good results. I will not find out until April.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 8554
    I have been shopping around and found that Costco's will order Micks 245/70R/19.5s but cannot mount and bal. They quoted me 358.99+tax each. They are XZEs load rated H. I found a place that will M&B for 40 bucks each which I thought was high but what can I do. To compound this I need to replace the tires on the SUV so it will pass inspection which is due now. One thing after another and in pairs.
    Denny

Reply #22
    Yahoo Message Number: 8555
    I found similar pricing on the Michelin tires. Out the door with new valve stems is close to $450 each.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #23
    Yahoo Message Number: 8558
    I got quotes on Bridgestones and Yokahamas and they were more expensive as we're the GYs in my load range. Load range H are 120psi max.
    Denny

Reply #24
    Yahoo Message Number: 8559
    I will insist on a close and recent build date on the new tires.
    Denny

Reply #25
    Yahoo Message Number: 8562
    We have had those Goodyears on for a bit over a year and they have been good so far. Certainly better than the Goodyear G670's that were on before. We have the 225/70R 19.5 G. Even driven in the snow a couple of times.

David

Goodyear 647 vs 670

Reply #26
    Yahoo Message Number: 8563
    With the talk of the tires, what is the difference between these two?
    I'm looking at 7 years on mine (670's) next September so the savings
    plan is in effect for that moment.

Also Ron, you said you went up to 245's, was there any problem with the
    clearance between the duals?

Take care,
    Greg

Re: Goodyear 647 vs 670

Reply #28
    Yahoo Message Number: 8568
    Tread is different from the 670. 647's have a M&S rating. Also has a heavier sidewall. No problem with spacing. GM only offered one size wheel regardless of tire size. The main concern is Load Range. F, G, or H. 647 245 only come in G load range. If you need load range H then you will have to look at another manufacture.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #29
    Yahoo Message Number: 8570
    Ron wrote:

Tread is different from the 670. 647's have a M&S rating.

Do you notice any difference in road noise between those and the 670's?

heavier sidewall. No problem with spacing. GM only offered one size
    wheel regardless of tire size. The main concern is Load Range. F, G, or
    H. 647 245 only come in G load range.

I'll have to double check to see the load ratings on the 670's that came
    on mine, but I think they're G.

Take care,
    Greg

Reply #30
    Yahoo Message Number: 8571
    What mine came with was the Michlein XZE 245/70R 19.5 with load range H, go a load range higher if thinking about Goodyears to change to ???

Reply #31
    Yahoo Message Number: 8572
    Our 670's were load range F since the Four Winds is on the 19,500 chassis. For the 647's we went up to the G load range, though I still keep the tire pressure at 97lbs (95 for the load 670's)

I don't notice a difference in road noise, but of course there are so many other noises to drown it out.

You do feel the thumps on the road a little bit more.

We travel at Christmas each year so I did want to get the M+S rating. The tire shop also had Toyo's with a very similar tread pattern and the only reason I went with the 670's is that for the same price they were load range G instead of F.

Oddly, when I had the 670's it never snowed. Since we got the 647's we have been in snow twice.

David

Reply #32
    Yahoo Message Number: 8574
    Good year does not offer a 19.5 tire in the H load range. Need to go with Michelin. Without going into some of the Oriental tires. They are the only ones offering a H load range in a 19.5 road tire.
    Best
    Ron Hall