Skip to main content
Topic: 2008 Kodiak Headlights (Read 3988 times) previous topic - next topic

2008 Kodiak Headlights

Yahoo Message Number: 8967
Ok, I have a 2009 Jayco Seneca HD on a 2008 Kodiak chassis. The headlights are not bright like I think they should be. Also, it appears like the daytime running light is just the low beam headlight. When I turn on the low beam headlights, they are the same dimness as the daytime running lights. Anyone care to offer any suggestions? I need to stay legal so no HID conversion kits or anything.

Re: 2008 Kodiak Headlights

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8968
Change to Siverstar head lamps and have them aligned.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8972
Here is what I did for my SenecaI purchased everything from www.buyheadlightbulbs.comI purchased the Hella 4651 seal beamed conversion headlights for $89. a pair and then the Hella High Performance Xenon Blue H4 bulbs for $26. a pair. Don't let the word blue fool you, the light is white but it is very bright. The nice thing about this conversion was that it was easy, cost effective, and provided a lot more light. There was no wiring changes and I get to keep my daylight running lights on.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8980
I've used Silverstars before and was not impressed.

Did you replace all four stock lights with the seal beam conversion kit?

Ted

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8981
Yes, and to my surprise the lights were great. If I ever wanted to do HID later, I'm ready for it. Honestly, the lights are very bright and I truly feel you will be very satisfied with the performance.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8982
I did the SilverStar upgrade last year before my 9000 mile trip per the forum tips...

! All i can say ....is WAY better then stock! way better way better
way better
way better
way better
way better and a cheap 15min install..
bill

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8984
So Tim, you did two pair of the Hella 4651's and two pairs of the lamps and replaced the daytime/lowbeams, and the high beams with the same?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8986
I got to looking at the wiring for the headlights in GM upfitters.com and found that the ground for the headlights is on the passenger side frame aft of the chassis battery box. I was thinking and haven't done this yet, if that is to long a stretch for an effective ground. I would like to move the ground closer to the lights and see if that would make any difference. The normal grd is more than ten feet from the lights.
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8988
I tried to reply to this post earlier and I guess that it didn't go through. I noticed when I was browsing GM Upfitters that the grd for the headlights for our M/D trucks is a good distance away. The stud is probably 8ft away on the inside of the passenger side frame aft of the chassis batteries. The resistance of the longer wire maybe what is causing our dim lights. I may be all wet here but I'm going to try a shorter wire to grd and see what happens.
Denny

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8989
I went down a similar path when trying to solve the same dim headlight problem on my 05 Endura. One night I ran a wire from the B+ post under the hood near the firewall on the driver's side and with the headlights on, stuck it into the back side of one of the low beam plugs. Both lights instantly went from dim to bright. I also tested voltages verifying a low voltage condition under normal use and full voltage with the jumper. No need to look at the ground at that point on mine.

My solution was to install a relay system with new wiring to eliminate the low voltage condition. This included new ground wires. While I was doing the job, I went ahead and changed the low beam sealed lights to Hella HL21100 housings with H4 bulbs. I used this particular one because it is Dot approved. Could be an issue if there was ever an incident at night. Left the high beams alone (other than new wiring). Proper alignment is necessary no matter what the case.

Two notes: the HL21100's needed trimming and were still a tight fit. The terminals on H4 bulbs are a different pattern than the sealed beams that are standard on the Kodiak, even though the same plug will fit both.

For reference -

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Charles

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8992
Thanks Charles. This has been very helpful. This has become the next project.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8994
One more question. How are the circuits affected with day light driving lights?
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 9002
Forgot about this detail.

When using relays to power the headlights, daytime running lights can be handled one of 3 ways that I know of.

Install the relays and have the DRL's at full low beam brightness during the day.
Install the relays and disable the DRL's by removing the fuse under the dash.
Install a control box along with the relays that will maintain the DRL function, yet provide full voltage when the headlights are turned on. Apparently the low headlight voltage problem affects many makes and models such that a company has made a business out of selling control boxes of a design particular to each model.

http://headlightplugs.com/smart.harness.html

Charles

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 9005
I looked at the site for wire harnesses. Looks like all that is needed is a relay for the headlights and 14 gauge wire. Ordered a relay from Amazon.
I did some investigation on the OEM headlights. Low beams are 35 watts and high beams are 50 watts. That may be why we have so many complaints about driving with low beams. The SilverStars have 55 watts low and 65 watts high.
When I get some good weather will do voltage checks before installing the relay.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 9007
Weather turned out better than forecast.
Checked voltage at low beam socket. 10.2 volts at low beam connectors. 11.3 volts using a ground point near hood lights. Voltage at fuse panel was 12.7. When I turned high beams on voltage at lights went to 9.7 volts. Voltage went to 11.0 with a ground point near hood. Biggest problem is ground. One wire feeds all the lights on hood. This is a 18 gauge wire at best. Should be 12 gauge wire feeding headlights.
Wire size chart.
http://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/products/itm/automotive/get_wired.html
Turning all my hi-beams on will draw 18 amps. The length of ground wire is about 20' at it's longest distance.
Added another relay for hi-beams to my order.
Will post results when I get the project completed.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 9008
As I suspected. I have the relays and wire and will be doing work in a week or two.
Denny

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 9009
Ron Hall wrote:

When I turned high beams on voltage at lights went to 9.7
volts. Voltage went to 11.0 with a ground point near hood. Biggest
problem is ground. One wire feeds all the lights on hood.

Let me ask the dumb question, is it necessary to put in a set of relays?
Why wouldn't a new ground wire do the trick if that's the main problem?
Couldn't a new ground wire be run from the engine compartment and
spliced into the wiring going to the lights?

Greg

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 9010

I have another question. Are the relays used to allow the running of a smaller wire to the switch, and the bigger juice carrying wire to the lights? This keeps the bigger wires from needing to make the trip to the switch, especially if space is tight and the switch connections are not manufactured to accept larger diameter wires? If this is true and we use relays to get more juice (bigger wire) to the lights, then what will the effect of a failed relay, will the lights not work at all? Could the relay be bypassed to get to repairs, or should a spare relay be carried? Do relays ever really fail very often anyway?

Roger

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 9011
Not a dumb question. The poor ground is just one element of lousy electrical engineering. Shortening up the wire runs with proper size wire with relays will fix the problem. The ground run being so long is obviously the problem but why not take it a step further and fix the entire system. Its not that much more work. I think that GMs thinking is that these trucks were intended for in town work where the headlights
were just not that much of factor. We on the other hand on occasion drive at night on the highway. We need the headlights to do the job that any other vehicle on the highway do. Its a safty issue.
Denny

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 9012

So if we do this mod, then are the stock lamps sufficient for lighting, and will our lighting improve to the point where the complaints of dim driving lights go away? BTW, my high beams appear very adequate and if I drove with them on, I would have no complaints about the lighting. Is this experienced by others, or do both the low and high beams perform poorly?

Roger

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 9013
You have it right.

I bought sockets for my relay installation and carry a couple of spare relays. It's a plug-in swap if a relay ever fails.

Charles

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 9018
The whole wiring system for headlights is undersize. Least problem is + wire for low beams. It needs the ground upgraded. The - wire is to long for the load. I would fix that before doing anything else. Next upgrade will be the positive for low beam. OEM wiring was OK for 35 watt OEM blubs. But SilverStars have higher wattage and need larger wire.
I plan to run a 10 gauge wire to hood for both + & -. + run will have a 30 amp fuse on it. Then use relays to send full power to high and low beams. Relays will be energized by OEM wiring.
Best
Ron Hall