Skip to main content
Topic: 2008 Kodiak Headlights (Read 4009 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2008 Kodiak Headlights

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 9024
Wow - this is great news!

I changed out the headlights on my rig last spring with the Hella 4651 and an HID kit that, until now, thought was just a p.o.s.

My problem was the same as you are all mentioning, terrible night vision. I thought that changing out to the Hella beams and HID kit would be the cure, but alas, it's just as bad. Worse in fact with the hi beams on. When I switch to hi the lights just kind of flicker and don't really come on steady. It's annoying and embarrassing at the same time.

The research you did here, Ron, with voltage checks and all makes more sense as to why my hi's won't come full on. Why GM would design them like this is one of those mysteries, I'm sure it was an oversight on the part of the electrical engineer and not an intentional design flaw.

When you do this mod could you give us all a blow by blow, with pictures, so we can follow along easily? Really appreciate your findings.

I was getting ready to find a set of BAJA lamps to put in the bumper openings. Was going to involve getting someone to make up a bracket to either weld or bolt to the frame horns so I could mount extra lamps. I may not need to do that if your fix works out.

Thanks again...
Bob

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 9027
I will try to document this upgrade with pictures and instructions.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 9033
I too could not find an assembly listed on the brute box site for our vehicles. I did notice however that they typically run about $100 for light duty trucks and such. I sent them a message asking if they could make a unit forth Kodiak if there were enough interest. If they respond I'll let you know. Until then, or instead of, it sounds like Ron's fix should be a minimal cost, probably around $30 I'd guess for all the wiring and relays and such? I would like to retain the drl operation if possible.

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 9084
Got all the parts for headlight wiring upgrade in yesterday. I decided to do grounds and both high and low beams at one time. Now I need time to get project done. May take a couple of weeks.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 9085
I Am in the process now of doing the upgrade. I have rewired the hood harnesses and today will locate and install the relays then start running wire. I am using #14 wire and new headlight plugs. The plugs were wired with #18 wire so I had to open the connectors and replace the 18 with 14. It went well and the test with the meter was good.
To answer the question of why GM would use under size wire and a long ground run. My opinion is that our trucks were primarily meant for in town daytime delivery service and therefore the headlights were not a priority. We on the other hand on occasion do some night time driving and the lights as they are just aren't up to that task. So here we are correcting that deficiency .
Denny

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 9086
Why are you rewiring the truck portion?

My plan is to pull one of the headlight plugs and use the low beam power wire to signal the new relay to turn on and the high beam the same way. My thought is to have 3 relays, 1 for the low, 1 for the outer highs and 1 for the inner high's

The stock wiring even being 18 awg is more than adequate to carry the signal voltage for the relay.

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 9088
I will be using the 18 for signal. My relays are remote so will have 14 to them. The grds will be close to the lights.
Denny

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 9091
Just two. I believe that the DLRs will still work but probably not at the reduced voltage. We'll see.
Denny

Reply #34
Yahoo Message Number: 9092
Are you going to run the 4 high beams off of 1 relay?

The DRL's will still work, but not at the reduced voltage like you stated.

On my motor home I cannot tell a difference between the DRL and the headlights being turned on. I was out in eastern Tennessee last week and finally had to park in a rest area for the night due to the headlights being so bad.

On a different note, has anybody found any toggle switchs that match the factory switch's?

Reply #35
Yahoo Message Number: 9093
Yes. Shouldnt be a problem with 14 wire. After all the switch was carrying the load on 18.
Denny

Reply #36
Yahoo Message Number: 9094
Hello All, Dennis, just found this in my file, it may be of help with the headlights, ill send it as a photo attachment. john

Reply #37
Yahoo Message Number: 9095
I am wiring 4 relays. 2 for high beams 2 for low beams. That way I can use the OEM wiring. Just need to run 10 gauge + & - wires to each side of hood. Going to mount relays on headlight housings.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: 2008 Kodiak Headlights [3 Attachments]

Reply #38
Yahoo Message Number: 9096
John:
I have those diagrams and am following the one that is specific to our trucks.
Thanks
Denny

Reply #39
Yahoo Message Number: 9097
If I were you Ron I would put those relays out of the headlight area. The tires throw a lot of crap into that area not to mention the rain and mud. Just sayin.
Denny

Reply #40
Yahoo Message Number: 9098
I here you Denny. I already have a relay there for a few years with no problems. I purchased pigtails and other items to make things water proof. I hope.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #41
Yahoo Message Number: 9099

Sounds good. Last year I installed a set of Hellas driving lights in the bumper holes. I mounted the relay high center above the engine and ran the wires in the loom. Works great. The shame is that they make the headlights seem like parking lights. Took some trial and error to get them adjusted out of on coming traffic. Got flashed a few times.
Denny

Reply #44
Yahoo Message Number: 9102
How did you mount the lights to the bumper?  Do you have any pictures by any chance 

Reply #45
Yahoo Message Number: 9103
My Son came over this morning. Helped me with my other projects for the day. Then we tackled headlight wiring. Got it done in a couple of hours.
Without getting in to the wiring that was done. I will tell you how well it worked.
Voltage at driver side low beam was 12.6 volts. This was taken at headlight connector. Same as I did in original test. Engine not running. Voltage at battery was 12.7 volts.
Turned on high beams. Voltage at high beam connector was 12.4 volts. This is a big improvement.
DRL still works but goes through low beam relay. Sending full voltage to the headlights. Voltage being sent to relay for DRL is 10.8 volts. Should be OK to make relays work. All voltages will be higher when engine is running.
I took lots of pictures to help others with wiring. For those wanting to just use 2 relays and keep them farther back in the engine compartment. There is a connector on top of passenger side frame rail just at about center of front tire. This connector feeds both headlights and directional signals on front fenders. I did not follow it back beyond that point because it got rapped into a bigger bundle of wires.
I will work on the pictures and wiring info over the next couple of days.
One note: Even though the OEM wire outside diameter is small. Insulation is thin. Wire size is 16 gauge.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #46
Yahoo Message Number: 9104
I removed the bumper an bolted in across the frame a piece of aluminum angle.  I believe there were existing holes.  Put the bumper back on and located the lights and then removed the bumper again.  I drilled the light mount holes and installed and wired the lights.  Reinstalled the bumper.
Denny Couldn't get the pics to attach.  I'll work on that

Reply #47
Yahoo Message Number: 9105
Sounds Great Ron. It might be worth a trip to Michigan to check-out....russ

Reply #48
Yahoo Message Number: 9106
Install of 4 relays to improve voltage to headlights on Chevy Kodiak C45/5500 chassis.

Parts list.
2 pcs ATC fuse holders with 10 gauge wire.
2 pcs 10 gauge two wire connectors.
4 pcs 12 volt DC SPDT 40 amp relays.
4 pcs 5 pin relay sockets.
4 pcs 3/8 ring 12-10 gauge wire connectors. Watertight Heat-Shrink.
14 pcs 12-10 Butt Splices. Watertight Heat-Shrink.
14 pcs 16-14 Butt Splices. Watertight Heat-Shrink.
4 pcs #10 3/4" self tapping screws.
2 pcs ATC 15 amp fuses.
25' ½" split loom tubing.
20 pcs 8" black zip ties.
6' black 10 gauge wire.
20' red 10 gauge wire.
Can Liquid tape.
Picture:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0034.jpg

All the items above were purchased from Amazon. Except Watertight Heat-Shrink connectors and splices. They came from Harbor Freight.

Install Notes:
OEM = Orignal Equipment Manufacture.
Use heat gun on connectors before covering them with loom.
Do not install 15 amp fuses until install is complete.
Red relay socket is not used. Tape up to protect.
Right side = Passenger.
Left side = Driver.
Tape ends of loom.
Job can be done with Female Quick Disconnects instead of relay sockets. I will give a relay pin instruction at end of install instructions.

1. Put connectors on all items as shown in picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0041.jpg
   2. Connect 2 black wires on a pair of sockets with a 16-14 butt splice.
   3. Do same to second set of sockets.
   4. Connect 2 blue wires on one pair of sockets with a 12-10 butt splice.
   5. Do same to second set of sockets.
   6. Put a 16-14 butt splice on all other wires attached to sockets.
   7.Put a 12-10 butt splice on one end of each fuse holder.
   8. Put a 3/8" ring 12-10 gauge wire connector on other end of fuse holder.
   9. Put a 12-10 butt splice on ends of 10 gauge two wire connectors. 8 places.
   10. Cut two 12" piece of black 10 gauge wire.
   11.Put 3/8" ring 12-10 gauge wire connector on end of each above black wire.
12. Start by installing fuse holders on "B" stud on fuse box. If it does not have a nut you will have to get a metric nut to fit stud. See picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0051.jpg
13. Attach a piece of red 10 gauge wire to one fuse holder wire. Cut long enough to make it to the left side of hood, about 11'. See picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0060.jpg
14. Attach a piece of red 10 gauge wire to other fuse holder. Cut long enough to it to right side of hood, about 6'. See picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0051.jpg
   15.Put both wires in a piece of loom that will make it from fuse holders to right side of hood. See picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0055.jpg
   16.Feed loom down to frame on right side using looms that already are going that route.
   17. When loom is near radiator pull out the longer red wire. Looking in this area and going toward left side of radiator is the loom holding the wires that go to left side headlights.
18. Cut a piece of loom that will make the run to left side of hood, about 6'. Feed the longer red through this piece of loom. Feed the loom under radiator zip rapping it to the OEM run of wires under radiator. See picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0056.jpg
19. Remove bolt from radiator mount. Use the left rear one. Install short piece of black wire with 3/8" ring 12-10 gauge wire connector on it under this bolt and reinstall. See picture.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0066.jpg
   20. Feed this black wire into loom. Route loom, red and black wire to connector with OEM wires between radiator and hood.
   21. Cut the loom, red and black wire so that the two wire connector is in the same area as OEM connector.
   22. Connect red wire to read lead on two wire connector. Make sure this is hooked to connector when unplugged, the pin does not stick out.
   23. Hook ground wire to other lead.
   24.Continue out other end of two wire connector with loom, red and black wires that will run with OEM loom. Make long enough to feed past middle of 2 OEM loom clips.
   25. ON right side of radiator install ground to right rear mounting bolt. Feed this wire into loom along with red wire. Feed loom, red and black wire to OEM connector at hood. Install two wire connectors. Making sure that red wire is hooked to connector so pin is not sticking out when disconnected.
    26. Continue the loom, red and black wire with enough length to reach past inner headlight.
   27. Using # 10 self tapping install relays above inner headlight as shown in picture. There is nothing behind this area.
28. Install right and left side relays at this time. See pictures.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0065.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/ronjhall/Kodiak%20Headlight/PICT0059.jpg
   29. Open the OEM loom above the relays on right side headlights. You will find 5 wire in it. Separate the black, light green and tan wires.
   30. Cut the black OEM wire in the middle between the OEM mounting clips.
   31. Connect left cut wire to black pair of wires from relay sockets.
   32. Connect right black cut wire to 10 gauge ground wire from radiator mount.
   33.Connect new 10 gauge red wire to pair of blue wires from relay sockets.
   34. Cut tan OEM wire in middle between clips.
   35. Connect left tan cut wire to white wire on lower relay socket.
   36. Connect right tan cut wire to yellow wire on lower relay socket.
   37. Cut light green in middle between clips.
   38.Connect left light green cut wire to white wire on upper relay socket.
   39. Connect right light green cut wire to yellow wire on upper relay socket.
   40. Open the OEM loom above the relays on left side headlights. You will find 5 wire in it. Separate the black, light green and tan wires.
   41. Cut the black OEM wire in the middle between OEM mounting clips.
   42. Connect right black cut wire to black pair of wires from relay sockets.
   43. Connect right black cut wire to 10 gauge ground wire from radiator mount.
   44. Cut tan OEM wire in middle between clips.
   45. Connect right tan cut wire to white wire on lower relay socket.
   46. Connect left tan cut wire to yellow wire on lower relay socket.
   47. Cut light green in middle between clips.
48. Connect right light green cut wire to white wire on upper relay socket.
49. Connect left light green cut wire to yellow wire on upper relay socket.
50. Make sure all shrink tube connectors are sealed with a heat gun.
51. Tie rap loose wires and looms.
52. Open and close hood making sure that wires do not hang up.
53. Install fuses.
54. Turn on headlights with lo-beams. Check operation.
55. Turn on high beams. Check that all headlight come on.
56. Turn off headlights.
57. Turn ignition key on. DRL should come on.
58. Turn off ignition.

Wiring without relay socket.

Right side headlight relays.
   Pin 30 is new red wire on both relays
   Pin 87 out to headlights.
   Pin 86 is + tan (low beam) relay
   Pin 86 is + light green (hi-beam)
   Pin 85 is – black on all relays.
   Pin 87a is not used.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #49
Yahoo Message Number: 9107
WOW!!! What a great job Ron! You just want to win another award this year for exemplary service to the list members and I'm recommending to the list czar you get an oak leaf cluster for your previous award.

I'm not sure I have the skills or drive to attack this project, but when we get back from this trip, I'm going to give it a good look. We really try not to travel at night, but better lights sure would be nice for when it happens.

Denver is cold and wet now, but it's been dry and hot for, the last few days.

Take care,
Greg