Skip to main content
Topic: 2008 Kodiak Headlights (Read 4010 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2008 Kodiak Headlights

Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 9109
WOW! Great job with the documentation and pics. Electrical isn’t my strength, but this makes it easy. I’ll start collecting the parts I don’t have tomorrow. May have some of this from my racing days in a previous life.

Greg

MN

Reply #52
Yahoo Message Number: 9113
Got outside while it was dark out. Tried the headlights. Hard to tell how much brighter lo-beams are. But they are brighter. You had better have your sunglasses on when hi-beams are turned on.

The items in pictures cost less than $50. I did buy 2 100' rolls of 10 gauge wire and 100' of 1/2" loom. Wire was $20 each. Loom was $15. Used less than 20' off each roll. I have enough to keep my 2 sons stocked. They are always asking for little wiring projects on their vehicles.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #53
Yahoo Message Number: 9114
The items in pictures cost less than $50. I did buy 2 100' rolls of 10 gauge wire and 100' of 1/2" loom. Wire was $20 each. Loom was $15. Used less than 20' off each roll. I have enough to keep my 2 sons stocked. They are always asking for little wiring projects on their vehicles.

You better hold onto it, you'll need it when 50 Kodiaks show up in your yard next week!

Take care,
Greg

Reply #54
Yahoo Message Number: 9115
David Sparke wrote:

Get the weather back to warm and dry, we'll be out there next
week. (Highlands Ranch)

The weather is supposed to turn beautiful on Monday and be that way for
the next week. Of course we're leaving Tuesday morning so that would be
the case.

We're at Cherry Creek State Park so Highlands Ranch isn't too far from
here. There is talk by one wife that we should be looking for a condo
here for some longer future visits.....anyone wanna house in NC? ;-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #55
Yahoo Message Number: 9116
Wow, that was close. For a split second I thought you were going to trade the Kodiak for a condo to solve the headlight problem. :)

Don

Reply #56
Yahoo Message Number: 9117
The problem is example of our shitty auto companies who needed to have their asses bailed out. Its incorrectly engineered plain and simple. The mediocrity of America hard at work. Sad but true that a high school physics student could do the calculation(s) and determine the correct wire size.

Reply #57
Yahoo Message Number: 9119
Ron help me out. I found that the front turn signals will not work unless the headlight switch is in park or better. They will not work at all with the switch off.
Its probably something stupid.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #59
Yahoo Message Number: 9123
I figured it out. I had crossed the clearance and turn wires on both fender lights when I installed them. LEDs are funny. Thanks. I figured it out at about 2 am and it woke me up.
LOL
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #60
Yahoo Message Number: 9125
I found some little 10Watt LED lights that cast more than a (legal) amount of light - and they are tiny - we use them on our off-road cars.  A little spend at $90 each but voltage and current are not an issue with drawing about 1 Amp and they operate at 9-20 Volts.http://www.visionxstore.com/XIL-S1100NOTE: These are way brighter than any factory car headlight.      

Reply #61
Yahoo Message Number: 9776
Had a little setback with my headlight project. Directional signals and headlights started to not work properly. Found that one of the relays had failed. This fed a small positive voltage into the ground system. Headlights, directional signals and front running lights would not operate properly.
Disconnected everything, then started back tracking until I found what was causing problem. Since I was leaving on a trip. I put every thing back together as original. Except for the ground wires. When I get time I will look into wast is needed to make relays work. Then come up with something to keep a failed relay from feeding positive voltage into the front ground. Probably need a diode.
Headlights are still much brighter with the added ground wire.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #62
Yahoo Message Number: 9778
Ron:

For those of us who have not done the work yet...

Would it be worth it just to run the improved ground wire? Is that sufficient / good enough?

Kevin (Lazy - or maybe BUSY) McCoy

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #63
Yahoo Message Number: 9779
The ground wire does make a difference. Checking voltage at chassis ground showed improved voltage by 1 volt.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #64
Yahoo Message Number: 9814
While Russ was at my place we added the round wire. Did some checking of continuity. Found that location where I put grounds was not a good place. While it did improve ground it was not a good place because the mounts have rubber isolators. I have changed ground location to bolts on the firewall on both sides. This may have been why my relays failed.
Using my MH as a pattern. Placed a 4X8 sheet of hard insulation 25' out from MH. Measured location of headlights. Then moved sheet of insulation in front of Russ's MH. His headlight beams were 12" below what mine measured after accounting for difference in height of our 2 MH's. We adjust the low beams so that they were at similar location as mine. Did not make much adjustment on high beams.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #65
Yahoo Message Number: 11691
I see this was done on a 2008, wonder if it would be the same for a 2007? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Don