Skip to main content
Topic: Power Gear Hydraulic Leveling System - Purple Wire (Read 474 times) previous topic - next topic

Power Gear Hydraulic Leveling System - Purple Wire

Yahoo Message Number: 9022
The leveling system retracts as soon as I start the engine, the touchpad blinks and beeps. At the control box on the ceiling of the storage box, I discovered the orange wire did not have 12 volts to indicate to the control box that the vehicle was in park or neutral. Behind the driver's kick panel is a relay that is to switch power to this orange wire. The relay is controlled by a purple wire that is to provide a ground to energize the relay, however, this is where my problem is; this purple wire is not providing a ground with the transmission in park or neutral (ignition on or engine running). I traced the wire to the module under the hood, passenger side, at the firewall. I assume this is the transmission control module (TCM); it is just below the engine control module (ECM). The module is not providing the ground. No other problems with the rig, transmission is perfect, gear select indicator works like it should. I am hoping that there is just a bad ground wire or a blown fuse somewhere causing this to happen.

In the meantime, at the relay, I connected the orange wire directly to the green wire to the control box. The fail safe will only work for the e-brake now as connecting these two wires together I just bypassed gear selector protection, but the rest of the system is back to normal.

Can anybody help?

Regards,

David

Re: Power Gear Hydraulic Leveling System - Purple Wire

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9023
What year, make and model do you have?

This was common on Jayco's because of some incorrect wiring. They fixed mine (32SS 2007) at the factory so it would not do that. In fact, the jacks retracted as soon as I turned the ignition on, didn't even have to start the engine. That really PO"d me when I'd set up the MH and then realize I'd left the driver's window open. Turn on the ignition to put up the power window and up would go the jacks and down would go the MH.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9026
I have a 2007 34SS HD (Duramax). I believe you are right; just turn on the key and it would retract, wouldn't even have to start the engine.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9028
Thanks for these posts. I have the same problem with my 2007 34SS. There are earlier posts on this same problem. I hope to tackle it a little later this spring. These posts are a great help.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9029
There is a solution to the problem in the files section. Tells you what wires to change on the relay.

winkvzn  wrote:

The leveling system retracts as soon as I start the engine, the touchpad blinks and beeps. At the control box on the ceiling of the storage box, I discovered the orange wire did not have 12 volts to indicate to the control box that the vehicle was in park or neutral. Behind the driver's kick panel is a relay that is to switch power to this orange wire. The relay is controlled by a purple wire that is to provide a ground to energize the relay, however, this is where my problem is; this purple wire is not providing a ground with the transmission in park or neutral (ignition on or engine running). I traced the wire to the module under the hood, passenger side, at the firewall. I assume this is the transmission control module (TCM); it is just below the engine control module (ECM). The module is not providing the ground. No other problems with the rig, transmission is perfect, gear select indicator works like it should. I am hoping that there is just a bad ground wire or a blown fuse somewhere causing this to happen.

In the meantime, at the relay, I connected the orange wire directly to the green wire to the control box. The fail safe will only work for the e-brake now as connecting these two wires together I just bypassed gear selector protection, but the rest of the system is back to normal.

Can anybody help?

Regards,

David

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9030
Here are the instructions I used to correct the jack problem in my 2007
32SS:

1) Remove the driver side kick panel besides the parking brake. There
were two screws near the door holding mine on. It would be a good idea
to ensure the truck is off and the coach batteries are also off.

2) Locate a small relay with 4 wires attached. My relay was screwed to
the body with a small sheet metal screw. I removed the screw to more
easily remove the proper wire from the relay. They just used spade
terminals on the relay on my Seneca.

3) Remove the GREEN wire from the relay.

4) Replace the spade terminal with a ring terminal on the GREEN wire.

5) Attach the Green wire to a common ground screw. There were two
available near the relay.

6) Replace the relay and replace the kick panel. Test the jacks. Make
sure they Emergency Retract when you release the parking brake. Your
done!!!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9034
The green wire on your relay must be a different wire than the green wire going to my relay because moving the green wire from the relay terminal to a ground on mine would not fix the problem.

The fix is easy, connect the green wire coming from the leveling system control box directly to the orange wire coming from the leveling syatem control box. Pretty much the green and orange wire from the control box are connected to each other; making a loop.

This fixes the problem, but this BYPASSES the shift failsafe feature. What I was asking for is "why is the purple wire from the TCM module no longer providing a ground to the relay" so the shift failsafe could still work.

David

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9035
David wrote:

The green wire on your relay must be a different wire than the green
wire going to my relay because moving the green wire from the relay
terminal to a ground on mine would not fix the problem.

Interesting, must be some difference in the coaches. Is yours a Jayco?
These are the instructions I got from them and it worked perfectly, but
maybe not all coaches are done the same way.

are connected to each other; making a loop.

This fixes the problem, but this BYPASSES the shift failsafe feature.

Ooh, that's probably not a good idea then. The Jayco fix keeps the
failsafe in place and also the safety for the requirement to have the
parking brake engaged. Putting it in gear or releasing the brake will
retract the gear.

What I was asking for is "why is the purple wire from the TCM module no
longer providing a ground to the relay" so the shift failsafe could
still work.

Sorry, I can't help you with that one.

Greg