Skip to main content
Topic: Power outlets in bedroom not working (Read 1065 times) previous topic - next topic

Power outlets in bedroom not working

Yahoo Message Number: 9036
The three power outlets in the bedroom ( one on each side of the bed and one for the TV are not working. DH has checked all the breakers etc at the foot of the bed and they all seem fine. All other power pitlets are OK. Any ideas?

Re: Power outlets in bedroom not working

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9037
Check for outlets that have a GFI on them. Usually in the bathroom or kitchen area. Just reset the button on each one you find.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9038
Done that. No change. The AC in the bedroom is not working either.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9039
It may be the breakers, I had to reset few times once.
Sometimes it feels like it reset but actually it did not.

I would trip all of them, then make sure the double/main breaker is re-set and then start resetting the others.
worth trying.
Mo

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9040
Well, here is an off chance question and suggestion. Are you connected to 30 amps or 50 amps? If you are connected to 50 do you know that both legs are working. This happened to us this past fall in Florida with the 41 ft destination trailer we purchased. It is 50 amp and at one point we had the same problem you have described. In the end we had to get the breaker replaced and the bars in the pedestal cleaned up. Then everything worked fine.

If you have a multimeter check the two legs at the box and make sure you are getting power through both of them.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9041
Everything else is working and it has been working since we got into the site. It was just last night that we did not have power in that bedroom. The one thing we did do was pull the slides in and relevel the coach and then pulled the slides out again.

Could the fuses have anything to with it? They all seem fine.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9042
Dee, as our breaker and the power bars in the pedestal were deteriorating this problem came and went for a few days and finally I had enough. So make sure you do check both legs. My surge protector gave me a tip off (it shuts off if the voltage is outside a set range) as did the volt meter I have that is plugged into one of the circuits, and when I put it on each leg within the trailer it showed no voltage on one of them.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9043
When it isn't working try the generator and see if both legs work when it is running.

The problem could be inside the transfer switch if you know full power is going through both legs and one isn't getting into the MH.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9044
BTW, do you have a surge protector? My Surgeguard will give a warning if there is an open neutral at the pedestal. In fact I think it won't even allow any power through at all. I think (jump in Ron and others) an open neutral can also result in the same problem you are experiencing, although when I've seen the problem reported on the forums it at times resulted in damage.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9045
Fuses are for the 12 volt side of the coach. We had a problem with out MH in Mesa last year. Turned out to be connection inside parks pedestal. Hooked up 30 amp adapter until park repaired the pedestal.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9046
Dee, if you can shift to 30 amp, that too will give you a good idea of where the problem might be. I assume you have the appropriate collection of dog bones. :)

We did that with our trailer over the winter in FLA so we had power (fridge is residential only) to use.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 9048
The ampground post is 30 amp. We have a dog bone in with our 50 amp in the female end. We got the ampground owner to come and change the outlet as it seemed to be very corroded. Then we went and bought a new dog bone because there was some burns visible on the old male 30amp end. Still no power to the bedroom.

Will try the generator test.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 9049
Unplugged the power and turned the GenSet on. Power working fine in the BR. Where is the transfer switch?

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 9050
Under the big drawer under the bed room TV.

Dee  wrote:

Unplugged the power and turned the GenSet on. Power working fine in the BR. Where is the transfer switch?

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 9051
Check ur power cord. Mine had a wire off one leg where the plug is.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 9053
But wouldn't that mean that the power would be off to all outlets?

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 9054
No. Since there are 2 110 volt legs. Probably only one air con is working as well.

Dee  wrote:

But wouldn't that mean that the power would be off to all outlets?

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 9055
Dee, I've seen a few reports of problems with one of the pairs of wires in the cord coming off the contacts. If the pedestal is fine then when connected to a 50 amp circuit use the multimeter to see what is coming out of the power cord when it is not connected to the MH. If both legs are fine and putting out 110V+, then you will know it is inside the MH.

Good luck.

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 9060
Eureka! We have power! One of the legs of the power cord was not making contact. Legs cleaned up and plug pushed firmly into outlet. Et voila! Power! We have learned that each leg of the plug carries power to different parts of the motorhome. Who knew? We certainly didn't! Thanks guys! Have I said before that we are DIY challenged?

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 9061
Not much longer. With all the little repairs you have made. You will soon become the expert here on Kodiak Chassis. Need a big grin here.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 9062
It's true, Ron. We learn something new everyday. Now perhaps we could just learn how to instal our own solar set up! ;-D

Re: Solar power over the winter

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 9063
OK Dee, you just started a new thread. I've been wondering the same thing about a solar set up. We have a number of owners who have done this so we can get their advice.

Our MH will not be going to Florida for the winter as in the past. That means it will sit outside in a storage facility. I've been wondering if I should take the chassis battery and both house batteries out and store them in a warm (55 deg) place in my home while we are in Florida. Of course pulling the batteries is a PITA.

I've been wondering if one or more solar panels might keep them in good shape over the winter (and the summer, for that matter) and save me the work of pulling them every year.

Then I start thinking of the technical and installation issues and revert back to pulling them. But I would like to consider the solar panel further.

So here are some questions for those who have done it already.

Could I use one solar panel to provide an adequate trickle charge to the house an chassis batteries?

Could I simply place the solar panel in the window of the MH when it is in storage or would it have to be mounted on the outside (roof)?

Is a controller needed to make sure they don't overcharge?

In freezing weather for an extended period will the charge be enough to keep the from being damaged?

And - what else should I consider or be worried about?

Thanks guys

Don

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 9064
In the winter of 2010 we had just bought the Seneca and due to unforeseen circumstances we had to leave it in Ontario for nearly 4 months. December to the end of March. We did take the coach batteries out and a friend kept them charged for us in his heated garage. The engine batteries were left in place because we had not found out how to remove them. When we got back to the coach in well below freezing weather, the engine fired up first turn of the key! We were so surprised! All we had done was disconnect the leads from the terminal on the passenger side under the hood.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 9065
Removing the batteries is the hard way for winter storage. Just remove the negative lead for 6 months or less storage. Depending on solar to keep batteries charged can be very iffy. Snow can block off all sun.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 9066
Yup figured one leg was the issue. Does anyone know where I can get a plug for my 50 amp cord reasonable.