Skip to main content
Topic: Power outlets in bedroom not working (Read 1063 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Solar power over the winter

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 9068
Snow is a form of precipitation in the form of crystalline water ice, consisting of snowflakes that fall from clouds. Most of the time you need temperatures below 32 degrees. Our friends from Canada are well aware of what it is.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 9069
Hey, come on now Ron. Don't forget I live south of you in Canada and all of our lousy weather comes from Michigan. :)

I guess I'll take out the two house batteries and leave in the chassis battery - although in our case it can be removed a bit easier. I have a threaded battery disconnect on the negative terminal and that has worked very well so far.

Dee, when you disconnect under the hood, be careful, as that is a positive line. It is there to facilitate jump starts. I always handled it with kid gloves and had something handy to cover it with with as soon as I took it off the post.

BTW Dee, where in ONT are you located?

Don

Re: Power outlets in bedroom not working

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 9070
Camping World, also any electrical supply house, but it will be a bear to install since the wire that JAYCO uses is so stiff. I switched everything to 8 gauge (40 Amp) that's all you really need. Breaker on the Geny, at least on the 6000 quiet diesel, is only 30 amp and it will carry a full load.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of daneg
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 2:34 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Power outlets in bedroom not working

Yup figured one leg was the issue. Does anyone know where I can get a plug for my 50 amp cord reasonable.

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 9071
DH covered it immediately and wrapped it in a Ziplock to keep it dry.

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 9074
I have seen numerous solar battery tenders that sit on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter. You just have to be sure it gets adequate sun.

Don Leslie  wrote:

OK Dee, you just started a new thread. I've been wondering the same thing about a solar set up. We have a number of owners who have done this so we can get their advice.

Our MH will not be going to Florida for the winter as in the past. That means it will sit outside in a storage facility. I've been wondering if I should take the chassis battery and both house batteries out and store them in a warm (55 deg) place in my home while we are in Florida. Of course pulling the batteries is a PITA.

I've been wondering if one or more solar panels might keep them in good shape over the winter (and the summer, for that matter) and save me the work of pulling them every year.

Then I start thinking of the technical and installation issues and revert back to pulling them. But I would like to consider the solar panel further.

So here are some questions for those who have done it already.

Could I use one solar panel to provide an adequate trickle charge to the house an chassis batteries?

Could I simply place the solar panel in the window of the MH when it is in storage or would it have to be mounted on the outside (roof)?

Is a controller needed to make sure they don't overcharge?

In freezing weather for an extended period will the charge be enough to keep the from being damaged?

And - what else should I consider or be worried about?

Thanks guys

Don

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 9076
Ah, I was wondering about the flow through the lighter. Good to know. Thanks

As I think about it, that means leaving the cut-off on the negative terminal ON. If I could run clips through the firewall and on to the two terminals I could leave the battery off.

Might just leave it in and use the cut-off only the first winter, but will take out the house batteries. The battery is covered for three years but probably only six months of it left at the end of the experiment.

Last time I did that for a whole winter the chassis battery stood up but I left the house batteries in as well and they would only last about 20 minutes the next summer (but they were four years old by then).

If I store the house batteries at home I can charge them up on the two occasions we return for short stays. I guess I can take the MH out for an hour drive during those returns.

Don