Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco Seneca 34SS lugnut, tire change questions. (Read 435 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco Seneca 34SS lugnut, tire change questions.

Yahoo Message Number: 9273
We have a 2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS, I have made up a spare tire/rim and stashed it in a center bay area, figuring a tire service will change it if needed.
However I do not have the equipment to change a tire and would like to have it on-board.
This part is new to me as our previous RV was a tow trailer and regular
automotive sized stuff. What I want is a list of stuff to get like socket size, if short or long is better, what to use for a breaker bar or ratchet and where to get a torque multiplier and what is the wheel lug-nut torque. Also is a bottle jack OK and what size is preferred.
And is there a tool for the lug-nut covers?
While I will probably have AAA, (going to look into the Good Sam stuff) change a tire, if in some situation that could not happen I want to be prepared like if in the boonies.
Thanks for help, I'm hopeful someone had trod this route before.
Kev

Re: Jayco Seneca 34SS lugnut, tire change questions.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9274
Here is a good thread to get you going on tire changing.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/message/8590
I used motorhomes leveling jacks to raise wheels off ground during tire change. Not sure you can do that with a Jayco.
I now carry:
3/4" drive 30mm deep wall impact socket
3/4" drive breaker bar
3/4" drive ratchet
3/4" drive 6" impact extension for rear wheels.
3/4" to 1" impact adapter.
3/4" X 4' piece of black pipe. Make sure breaker bar will fit in it.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9275
I have an Endura have had the wheels off several times. Carry about the same thing around with me as Ron. I too use the leveling jacks to bring the motorhome up. I also carry a hydraulic jack with me to raise the rear axel up also. If your MH has air bags and you just raise the frame it really will stretch out those bags if you dont bring the axel up with the frame.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:31 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Jayco Seneca 34SS lugnut, tire change questions.

Here is a good thread to get you going on tire changing.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/message/8590
I used motorhomes leveling jacks to raise wheels off ground during tire change. Not sure you can do that with a Jayco.
I now carry:
3/4" drive 30mm deep wall impact socket
3/4" drive breaker bar
3/4" drive ratchet
3/4" drive 6" impact extension for rear wheels.
3/4" to 1" impact adapter.
3/4" X 4' piece of black pipe. Make sure breaker bar will fit in it.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9277
I have the same MH and the same issue. I am about to buy a spare. I already have some of the equipment for a change. I will be interested to hear what others have to say. I figure I am about half way there.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9278
Who wants to carry the 100+# spare and the related crap? I don't have room for it anywhere in my coach. It seems tire failures are very infrequent, as such coach builders do not even bother to provide you with one (a spare.) Add to that the dodgy side of the road wheel change danger....no thanks for me.

If would be more possible to leave a spare in my 24' box trailer I tow a good portion of the time - I have room - both payload and physical space.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:58 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Jayco Seneca 34SS lugnut, tire change questions.

I have the same MH and the same issue. I am about to buy a spare. I already have some of the equipment for a change. I will be interested to hear what others have to say. I figure I am about half way there.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9279
I agree about doing it myself. I can't imagine that I could get the Seneca anywhere and have tire trouble where AAA could not get to me. That's why I pay them.

I do think it is a good idea to carry a spare tire, if you can. The odds that the local shop is going to have a replacement tire in the size you need are pretty slim. Then you have to camp out for a day or more while they have one shipped in. If you have the tire, then the service truck can come out, replace the damaged tire, and you are on your way.