Skip to main content
Topic: Edge or other chips for Seneca? (Read 1094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Edge or other chips for Seneca?

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 9314
armour plated crawler LOL. I too looked at a 32b winnabago vista and almost bought it for the same reason but got a screaming deal on the 33ds that could not be passed up. Im in the bay area and rock crawl my 85 4runner fully built all over from rubicon to hollister hills :). thinking of mounting my spare above rear bumper to free up storage space

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Edge or other chips for Seneca?

After reading these posts, I realize how lucky I am. My 32B (1 slide) stays under 19,500 loaded and I can tow my armor plated rock crawler with tools and stay well under 26K GCWR. The biggest problem climbing grades is cornering to fast. My factory spare tire mounts between the frame rails and my wife can use all the extra storage. (Happy Wife is a Happy Life!)

Thanks guys, J
Dan

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 9315
The RVDA of Ontario had long negotiations with the Minister's staff and I got a copy of the draft policy (because I'd shaken her up with my comments). I objected loudly and said that RVers should NOT be judged based on the GVWR and GCWR for their driver licenses but rather the ACTUAL weight of the motorhome and the combo with the toad. I pointed out that my MH had a GVWR of 19,500 lbs and my Tahoe was 7300 lbs. I said it would be VERY unfair to use 19,500 + 7,300 = 26,800 and say I was over the 24,350 total weight (vehicle and anything being towed) that required a Class D license WHEN IN FACT my total would be less than 24,000. Amazingly they listened and in Ontario you do not need a Class D (which means a truckers license for other than a tractor trailer - test includes backing up to a loading doc, hazardous material transport, etc. etc.) if your GCWR is less than 24,250 (11,000 KG). Our 32SS and Tahoe on the scale together weighed just a bit over 23,000. So I was pleased they listened (for once).

Today. there a hundreds of MH owners in Ontario who are not familiar with this requirement who are driving DPs with toads and are well over 30,000 lbs.

Vic, I was NOT referring to overloading but was commenting on your comment related to the 26,000 lb US DOT limit. The Ontario government was almost at the point of signing on to the 26,000 limit (but no exceptions for RVers like most US states and some provinces) and then balked. The reason - there are LOTS of horsey types who have gooseneck trailers that they tow when taking their horses to events and the trailers exceed 10,200 lbs (4600 KG). The 26,000 would let them tow without getting an upgraded license and they did not want that to happen.

As to overloading meaning actual weight exceeding ratings - I don't favour that. My son is in the vehicle manufacturing biz and he feels that the marketing competition that has been going on (ha ha my truck can tow more than both of yours) among the manufacturers has reduced the factor of safety for a lot of trucks.

Don

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 9319
Scotty,

My 32B is a Dutchman Kodiak.

I would like to get my Jeep on the Rubicon. We camped with our Toyota TRD at the lake near the start of the trail. It sure looks like a good run. I've been to Moab on some of the runs like Steel Bender. Looked at Lions Back, but the land owner closed it down to build houses. We mostly run southern California runs like San Diego Four Wheelers, TDS and Glamis Dunes. Mostly dry camp.

Dan

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 9320
Sweet! Drop me a note sometime. We have a Tatum dual-sport car and I have a 4X4 Tracker, lifted, locked etc.

We live in N. County San Diego area and go to Ocotillo during the winter a lot.

Victor

Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H - Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Edge or other chips for Seneca?

Scotty,

My 32B is a Dutchman Kodiak.

I would like to get my Jeep on the Rubicon. We camped with our Toyota TRD at the lake near the start of the trail. It sure looks like a good run. I've been to Moab on some of the runs like Steel Bender. Looked at Lions Back, but the land owner closed it down to build houses. We mostly run southern California runs like San Diego Four Wheelers, TDS and Glamis Dunes. Mostly dry camp.

Dan

Re: SoCal

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 9322
Victor/Dan,

I too am in SoCal (Santee) and would love to meet up with you guys. I flat tow a '98 Wrangler. Maybe it is time for a West Coast Rally? ? ? ?

Rob

Fourwinds 34H, 8.1.

Re: SoCal

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 9337
Rob/Victor,

We should meet at Superstition. There's lots of sand and big rocks. We could call it Kodiak Chassis Off Road Challenge. :)

Dan