Skip to main content
Topic: adapter plug question (Read 379 times) previous topic - next topic

adapter plug question

Yahoo Message Number: 10031
I purchased a Hopkins adapter plug which plugs into the 7 blade connection in back of unit. It has 2 4 flat outlets
so I can plug my tow dolly lights in and also a extra set of turn signals and stop light on top of car. This time when I
went to use it I put in plugged in both as before, and all the lights flashed like 4 way flashers, I put in just one worked fine,
put in other alone worked fine, switched outlets for blades and each worked correctly alone but put both in and 4 way
flashers ! I was in process of leaving so no time and figured bad main plug. Went fast to store got new plug and it did the same
thing 4 way flashers. Any ideas of what I may be missing here ?? Worked before with no problems but not this time.
Thanks Gary

Re: adapter plug question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10033
Sounds like you are drawing more current on that circuit that the automatic breaker protecting the circuit will allow; circuit breaker turns off because of overload (lights off), curcuit breaker automatically turns back on (lights on) over and over like 4 way flasher? Did you change any bulbs since the last time you used the setup? If so, could be new bulbs drawing more current?

Wink

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10034
Not sure my experience with connectors will help you. Wired up lights for my tow bar install. When I towed with the tow dolly I used a flat 4 pin connector. When changing over I install a round 4 pin connector. Hooked it up and tested with no problems. A week later hooked up to MH to try out completed installation of brakes. Lights started blinking. Test everything with a ohm meter. Hooked to MH again with flashing lights. Took both ends of cable apart. Found nothing. Put everything back together. Lights worked. Couple weeks later hooked up again. Same problem. Started to check cables and connectors again. Noticed that 4 pin connector was warm. Also noticed a slight clicking sound. Took 4 pin plug apart. Found nothing. Put plug back together. Same problem. Took connector apart again. Found that screw that holds plug together was to long and came very close to 2 connectors. Shortened screw, problem gone.
Good luck finding your problem. Like already stated, look for a short in lights and wiring.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10036
Thanks for the ideas will check out the info about the screw.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:09 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: adapter plug question

Not sure my experience with connectors will help you. Wired up lights for my tow bar install. When I towed with the tow dolly I used a flat 4 pin connector. When changing over I install a round 4 pin connector. Hooked it up and tested with no problems. A week later hooked up to MH to try out completed installation of brakes. Lights started blinking. Test everything with a ohm meter. Hooked to MH again with flashing lights. Took both ends of cable apart. Found nothing. Put everything back together. Lights worked. Couple weeks later hooked up again. Same problem. Started to check cables and connectors again. Noticed that 4 pin connector was warm. Also noticed a slight clicking sound. Took 4 pin plug apart. Found nothing. Put plug back together. Same problem. Took connector apart again. Found that screw that holds plug together was to long and came very close to 2 connectors. Shortened screw, problem gone.
Good luck finding your problem. Like already stated, look for a short in lights and wiring.
Best
Ron Hall