Skip to main content
Topic: Super class C Vs Class A (Read 3031 times) previous topic - next topic

Super class C Vs Class A

Yahoo Message Number: 10093
I am new in this Arena and have bought a Seneca, however will not take delivery till Jan. I bought it because I was looking for a diesel and one that does not require me to have an air brake endorsement on my driving liscence (it seems all class A DP,s are equipped with air brakes) Having made this move can any folks in the group give me the pros and cons of a class C versus a Class A. Thank you.

Re: Super class C Vs Class A

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10094
Don't know what state you are in, but air brake endorsement not required in California for RV's (Housecars). Might want to check with your states DMV to see if same in your state.

The reason I went with a Super C is I wanted the space and convenience of a Class A, but with a bed above the driver in addition to the pull out couch and a bed in a bedroom. Also, wife said she wouldn't drive Class A; in case I needed her to drive, there would be a problem. No problem with Super C.

Wink

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10095
I did check with the authorities and an air brake endorsement is required. I am in Sask. and the endorsement involves examinations, test etc. plus an annual fee. Endorsement is compulsory in Canada. Hence my reluctance.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10096
I went with a super C for several reasons... As had low road clearance, and I take mine hunting, and to unimproved areas, I wanted the over the top bunk for my kids, and I really didn't like the way the As handled, but I wanted the space for friends and hunting party...
Morrigan

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10097
Wanted something between us and the bumper besides the windshield. Other reason, "the boss" said I want this. :)
Dave Sparke

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10102
For us it was the bunk above the cab for the kid, nice to have his own area I don't have to walk around for our entire trip.

Also we do alot of dry camping and the 100 gal. water cap. really was a big draw. Also the co-pilot really liked the GM cab area, lots more leg room than the Ford.

Wish we could have found a duramax instead of the gasser, but thats about the only thing I would change.

good luck.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10103
See, having seen all of the problems the diesel guys have, and the price difference in fuel, I'm damn happy that I didn't spend the extra 10000 on a diesel.
Morrigan

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10104
I have had diesels since I bought a new one ton dually in 03 and haven't had a problem any of them. Granted there is fuel premium but if you're going to have a class A or a super C why are you worrying about the cost of fuel? Really?
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10106
why am I worrying about Fuel costs? With an 80 gal tank and 15 weekends a year that I'm using it, all dry camp, all at least 5 hours away, that's why. I buy for quality, but I don't want to throw money away.
Morrigan

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10107
i figured it out and even with the cheaper price of gas, it would take me a gallon and a half of gas to go the same distance as one gallon of diesel, so it is cheaper to drive the diesel and the 80 gallon tank is great because now i only have to fill up every 600 miles vs 250 miles with my gas engine.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 10108
wow, you get that bad of mileage? I get 10-10.8 MPG with my gas job.
Morrigan

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 10109
Not sure which model MH you have. But weight of the different manufactures models range from 15,000 to 22,000 lbs before any weight is added. Glad your gasser is getting that good of mileage. I will keep my diesel that weighs in at 19,000 and gets 10.3 mpg over 60,000 miles.
The other thing to consider is checking values you will find the diesel are getting over $7,000 more at resale for the same model.
I have run well over 700 miles on a tank for fuel. Nice to have that extended range when traveling.
As far as problems with diesel over gassers on these motorhomes. I find it is about the same. If there is a difference on this forum. It's because the diesel models out number the gasser owners. Gulf Stream made more gas models than diesel. Over 90% of the Jayco's sold were diesel.
Back to the OP question. I like the Super C's because I can work on it with fairly easy access to many of the items that are located under a dog house on a gasser or under the floor of a diesel pusher.
Handling is good.
Most parts for chassis can be found at a local auto store.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 10111
well if it's a diesel it's been running on gas for 4 years... It's a GS conquest with the 5.8 V8.
Morrigan

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 10112
I've only filled my 2008 Bigfoot up once but I think it only holds 40 gallons it's a Duramax. Is the larger tank an option with jayco?

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 10113
I believe that all the Jayco Seneca's were built with the 80 gal tank. W.L. Check out Pilot/FlyinJ as they have an RV card that will get you 6 cents a gal off. I like Pilot because their fuel is always fresh with a high turn over and their quite common on main travel routes. I'm not so well off that I don't look for fuel deals but I'm not going to worry about it if I can't find them. I've got to much invested to park the RV. I enjoy travel to much. In Feb we will be traveling from southern Utah to Tampa FL. for a cruise. Flying there would be a H---- of of a lot cheaper but I love driving my 35GS. Just some thoughts.
Denny

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 10114
The Kodiak's came with a 8.1 gas engine. 5.8 would be in a van cutoff chassis.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 10115
Standard tank on a Kodiak is 60 gallons. Most of the us got the 80 gallon upgrade. Look at the build label behind driver side sun visor. Compare codes to this build sheet.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/mediumduty/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&brandID=1&line=206&modelID=1473&package=1593&series=1§ion=1&page=0#cat15
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 10116
Wow, thanks just what I needed. My gas gauge said I had a quarter of a tank left and it took 30 gallons to fill it up. I'll check it out.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 10117
It would be interesting to know what his GVWR and GCVWR is. When I've got the toad hooked up with full fuel, water and propane, I'm just a bit over the 26,000 gross combined and last summer I averaged 10.3. I just don't see a gasser a gasser doing that with similar weight. I travel with third of tank of water to stay below the gross combined. I have a 5 speed that will have the sixth speed turned on next week in hopes for an additional .5 to 1 mile more to the gal.
Denny

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 10118
I have the 33ds kodiak grayhawk 8.1. Loaded with water and gas im 17k plus I tow a car trailer with rock crawler 7k. Total with food and wife and kid im 25k. I get 5 to 6 average and i drive 60 mph with some hills... Best unloaded weight was 7 but never happens. Scott

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 10119
Is the six speed in the Allison transmission controlled by the ECM you can turn it on and off?

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 10120
Ours is a 32' Gulf Stream  6316, Duramax, tow a 32' enclosed trailer with a race car in it. At just over 26,000 lbs towing, we get between 8 and 9 mpg doing 60 to 65 mph. Unit is as it came except for a set of Koni's and airbags which were a very worthwhile investment.

Jim Mantle

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 10121
Late 06 and early 07 5spds have the capability for the sixth spd.  The trans is controlled through the TCM (Transmission Control Module).  In order to turn on the sixth spd you need a Tech II and a vin # of a late 07 to present Kodiak/Topkick with a six spd.  You can't use a pickup vin.
Denny