Skip to main content
Topic: 5 to 6 speed TCM reprogam (Read 1129 times) previous topic - next topic

5 to 6 speed TCM reprogam

Yahoo Message Number: 10169
Today I had the TCM reprogramed to allow the 6th speed in my 5 spd Allison to be used. It took about 10 minutes with a Tech II and a Vin# of a medium duty with a 6 spd. Before the reprogram my RPM at 65 was approximately 2300 in fifth. Now it is about 1900 in sixth. It is quieter in the cab and the shifts seem smoother. When it shifts down for passing it will go directly to fourth. I disconnected the Edge for reprograming so as not to confuse the issue. I will reconnect it tomorrow and take it for another ride. I am looking forward to our trip to Florida with this setup. Hopefully I can realize some better mileage as well. My truck is an 06.
Denny

Re: 5 to 6 speed TCM reprogam

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10170
Good Report. Do you know what your rear axle ratio is?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10172
I was thinking of getting the Edge CTS for my 2005, don't think I can do the 6th speed. Does the Edge work good for you? What setting to you run and did it help in fuel economy? I know performance will be enhanced. Do you have an EGT sensor? I understand it is fairly simple to hook up.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10173

Do you mind sharing the cost associated with the reprogram. I also have an '06 chassis, but will have to look at the build codes to determine if mine is a candidate.

Roger

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10174
The tech did it after work and asked for 60 bucks but I chipped in some dinner money as well.
Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10175
Ron:
I have the code break down in the MH so will check and get back to you. I can't remember just now. A senior thing.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10176

I'm probably rehashing old posts now, but it takes either a GM shop or Allison shop with the Tech II tool to do the change? I assume even non medium duty GM dealers would possess the Tech II for work on the pickups with Allison? I'm currently shopping for a buick from a GMC/Chevy/Buick dealer, maybe the sale can be contingent on reprogramming my Kodiak. The 2 pieces of information needed is the rear axle gear ratio and code of transmission, and both of these are available on the build sheet(visor or printout) or do I need to look at the tranny?

Roger

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10177
The TECH II should be common to any GM shop, it is used for all the vehicles. Service manager used it to diagnose a miss in the GMC Canyon that we used to have.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10178

I have Edge with attitude set to level 3. Works for me. What year is your truck?
Denny

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 10181
Refer to the web site "DieselPlace.com" -Medium Duty Trucks- threaded to 5 speed to 6 speed instructions. Read that as it will tell you what to look for and what years are eligible.
Denny

On Nov 29, 2012, at 8:39, "" tj.kennedy@...> wrote:

I have a 2005 Gulf Stream with the Duramax.

Connected by Motorola

Dennis Bradford dbrford43@...> wrote:

I have Edge with attitude set to level 3. Works for me. What year is your truck?
Denny

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 10182
Here is the link to thread on DP.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447152
For those that have not put a tune on their Kodiak. Mine has a 60 HP tune. This is a mild change. But what a difference in performance. Do not expect a improvement in MPG. The six speed upgrade will do that.
Those with 4.78 rear axle will see the best improvement.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 10265
Please be careful if dealing with Killerbee. He has been banned from Diesel Place. His intention and service may be OK. But be aware.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 10268

Dennis,

I want to go to the 6 speed in my 2006. What year Kodiak did you get the vin from and how can I find one.

Thanks,
Dan

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 10269
Any 08 will do. I incourage you to go over to the "dieselplace.com" and review all the posts there. That will inform you as to what you can do simply and what can be done with a few more bucks.
Denny

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 10270
Dan---go to the Medium Duty threads as well as the Allison after market threads.
Denny

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 10271
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know the details?
I just completed a small order from him....no issues.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 10272
Problems with various products he offered. That being said. It has been 3-4 since he was banned. Just keep your eyes open.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 10273

Thanks. I will do that after the holidays and let you know how it worked out.

Dan

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 12128
Been reading the topics regarding adding the 6th gear and Edge products.
I beleive the 6th speed is already active in our 07 and it has an Edge CS, which I can't tell assists with anyting.
At 10 mpg it is eating my lunch daily.
I am unsure of axle ratio but thought it was in the 5's.
Anyone getting better mileage and if so, HOW? ? ? ?
Thanks

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 12131
Getting better than 10 mpg will be tough. Best advise is slow down. You are pushing a box down the road. I can get 12 mpg on the freeway. But only takes a couple of start and stops when I get off the freeway to drop it below 11. Overall, with 70,000 miles we have averaged 10.3 mpg.

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 12137
10 is pretty good to average. I have gotten as much as 12 on individule tanks. Not many though. I have the 6 speed upgrade so rpm is about 1950 at 65. OD lock out goes to 4th. It will use 5th it it needs it.
Denny

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 12139
Really don't remember rpm at 60 but about the range you state.
Don't think a 6 speed upgrade has ever been done. In fact, don't know what that is.
Ever hear of anyone experiencing an Edge CS that really is of any value???
Thanks

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 12140
The kodiak motor homes are to heavy for gearing higher than 4:48.
The sixth upgrade is good for maybe a half mile per gal.
Denny

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 12141
Sorry to hear that. If I slow down any more, I get run over. I drive 55-60 and still 10mpg
Thanks

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 12142
I try and drive 55-ish and compared to 65 MPH get you +- 35% better mileage. I just figure I am in zero rush and its way safer to drive a 55 anyway.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 12143
Further about the sixth speed, its much quieter in the cab as well as longevity to the drive train. The shift points seem to be better suited to the weight we move around. I am now pulling grades in 5, 6 that were 4th. Just more comfortable in my opinion. I am chipped by the way.
Denny

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 12144
Your tuner may not be helping you mpg. What tune are you running? My best MPG is at 1900 to 2100. That gets me speed of 55 to 65 mph. Before I purchased larger tires. 2100 rpm's and 62 mph gave me my best MPG. With larger tires I run 2000 rpm and 62 mph. Gives me about same MPG. I have tried to run 55 mph. I always get less MPG with that speed.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #34
Yahoo Message Number: 12145
Me, too, and I still get 10 mpg. Could not even evnision the milage or lack of at 65mph.

Thanks

Reply #35
Yahoo Message Number: 12146
I set the cruise @ 65 and l let the trans do the thinkin. I didn't buy this thing for the milage but keep track of it as it can alert you to possible problems. I'm averageing 10 @ 65. Some tanks better some less. I have done a 4 inch turbo back exhaust so it breaths pretty well. Power is great and stays on speed up and down the hills.
Denny