Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Brake (Read 476 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Brake

Yahoo Message Number: 10192
Hi All:

I am wondering if anyone has information on a possible modification to the engine brake on a 2007 Seneca/Kodiak/Duramax. The brake seems to have two stages. It also moves from the first to the second automatically. Sometimes the second stage is too much while the first would be just right coming down a not-too-steep hill. But the system automatically shifts to the second stage slowing more than necessary. Does anyone know if there is a modification that will allow the driver to select between the braking stages; the first for moderate hills and the second for steep hills?

Sherman

Re: Engine Brake

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10193
Hmmmm.. I wonder if your brake is dirty in side and getting hung up.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2012 5:23 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Engine Brake

Hi All:

I am wondering if anyone has information on a possible modification to the engine brake on a 2007 Seneca/Kodiak/Duramax. The brake seems to have two stages. It also moves from the first to the second automatically. Sometimes the second stage is too much while the first would be just right coming down a not-too-steep hill. But the system automatically shifts to the second stage slowing more than necessary. Does anyone know if there is a modification that will allow the driver to select between the braking stages; the first for moderate hills and the second for steep hills?

Sherman

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10194
Are you sure the transmission is not downshifting? Are you using cruise control when this happens?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10195
I think what you are describing is the engine brake coming on, then the transmission downshifting.

If you want a mild engine braking effect, just downshift the transmission one gear, engine speed permitting.

Check the owner's manual.

Charles

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10198
Cruise control or jut the trans will downshift anyway.

With cruise on the 2008 (2007.5 chassis) will feather on the engine brake to maintain 5MPH over the set speed going downhill.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Monday, December 3, 2012 6:53 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Engine Brake

Are you sure the transmission is not downshifting? Are you using cruise control when this happens?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10199
That first step is the exhaust brake and the second step is the transmission downshifting. While going down a constant grade, except for using the exhaust brake switch, try overdrive switch. Works great for my 2007.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10200
Hmmmm. The cruise control is not on when this happens. It is in overdrive or fourth and I hit the switch on the panel. As I said, it the first stage is about right most of the time but it likes to go to the next which is too much. I will try switching the overdrive off and see how that works. I go up and down some pretty steep grades. Sometimes the engine brake is very handy. I will also see what happens in third and second gears.

Thanks,

Sherm

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10201
I think what you are feeling / hearing / experiencing is the engine brake kicking in to slow you down = its job! When you get going slow enough the transmission downshifts starting the process more vigorously yet again. Its doing what you want it to do and that is slow you down.

Some people run with it on all the time.

Takes some getting used to.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:33 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Engine Brake

Hmmmm. The cruise control is not on when this happens. It is in overdrive or fourth and I hit the switch on the panel. As I said, it the first stage is about right most of the time but it likes to go to the next which is too much. I will try switching the overdrive off and see how that works. I go up and down some pretty steep grades. Sometimes the engine brake is very handy. I will also see what happens in third and second gears.

Thanks,

Sherm