Skip to main content
Topic: Quick question about batteries (Read 502 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick question about batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 10202
All,

I have 4 batteries on my Seneca, for the house, I believe they are in parallel.

Would be a problem if I went from 4 to 2 batteries only?
Assuming I am not worried about long dry camping trips and my typical camping habits 99% of the time I have electrical hook up.

any thoughts?
thanks
Mo

Re: Quick question about batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10203
4 batterys give you more time vs two. If you are plugged in most of the time I would not worry about it.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10204
Are they 6 volt or 12. If 6v and you cut back to two, then if one 6v dies or shorts you have a problem. With 4 x 6 you just cut out a pair if one fails. With 12v you just cut out the one not working.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10206
You could run on one 12 volt battery if you had to. But may not start your generator if furnace or other item is running at same time.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10207
You could run on one 12 volt battery if you had to. But may not start your generator if furnace or other item is running at same time.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10209
Good point!
Tks

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:52:19 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Quick question about batteries

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10210
So I was thinking:

is reason Jayco put DP batteries for the house the generator?
do we need the crank power to start the generator?, the guy at Battery plus was trying to tell me that we do not need DP batteries in the house and the true deep cycle would be better, but then I thought about the generator.

Also on that note, why they put the aux switch to start the generator on the dash board, I dare anyone with long enough arms to reach the genset start switch and the switch on the dash board
Mo

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10211
Deep Cycle would be fine - I think there is plenty of power in them - I put them in mine too! My Dutchmen came with and has room for only 2 batteries - I installed 2X 6Volt Trojan golf cart batteries with more A/Hours than the batteries that came with the coach.

My coach has a bypass switch is so the HOUSE BATTERY can be used to start the COACH ENGINE if needed.

The remote generator start is in the galley.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Quick question about batteries

So I was thinking:

is reason Jayco put DP batteries for the house the generator?
do we need the crank power to start the generator?, the guy at Battery plus was trying to tell me that we do not need DP batteries in the house and the true deep cycle would be better, but then I thought about the generator.

Also on that note, why they put the aux switch to start the generator on the dash board, I dare anyone with long enough arms to reach the genset start switch and the switch on the dash board
Mo

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10213

oh I see, so in that case then my question about DP still stands, maybe that is why the batteries are DP and not solely deep cycle.

I never thought using the house batteries to start the truck always thought the other way around, now makes sense where the switch is, wow, living and learning.
thank you

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 10214

On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:43 PM, "Mo"  wrote:

oh I see, so in that case then my question about DP still stands, maybe that is why the batteries are DP and not solely deep cycle.

I never thought using the house batteries to start the truck always thought the other way around, now makes sense where the switch is, wow, living and learning.

My coach is a gasser, but I have two regular deep discharge 12v batteries in parallel for the house and have had to use them to start the engine using the emergency switch. When it was new, it came with only one house battery and that worked fine too for starting when needed.

Take care,
Greg