Skip to main content
Topic: Oil drip but not much (Read 483 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil drip but not much

Yahoo Message Number: 10228
I changed the oil and filter in my 5500 Onan generator today and noticed a small drip from the bottom left center where a small hole is drilled. I'm wondering if my fill line may have a small leak. I think I read something sometime back but couldn't find it. Thoughts?
Denny

Re: Oil drip but not much

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10229
That's a good indication. If it is a bad hose. It will get worse.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10231
I just had to replace the fuel filter on mine a month or two ago, it's in line just before the carb. fairly easy to take off and fairly intuitive. The bottom metal crimp on the filter started to leak by, and I would get a small fuel leak when the gen set ran.
Morrigan

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 05:34:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Oil drip but not much

That's a good indication. If it is a bad hose. It will get worse.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10233
I had to remove generator from MH to change out hose. After that it was easy. You may have more room than my Gulf Stream has to get front and top panel off. We are talking about a QD 5500? Parts were almost $200
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10234
I have had that front panel off before installed in the MH. What in the heck costs 200 bills?
Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10237
My hose was $75 plus I did the 1000 hr service on mine as it has 1100 hours on the genny when I bought my coach. I did take my genny out but I think someone posted that they got the hose replacement done without removal. I doubt I could have accomplished that. The fan was rubbing on my hose which I believe is a common cause of hose failure on the 5500 diesel genny's (mine is a 2005 Gulfstream diesel) and some are reporting that the hose breaks where it converts to a steel tube before the attachment point on the engine. I think it would be possible to feel the underside of the hose with the top panel off to see if you have the same issue.
Greg
MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:35 AM
Cc: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Oil drip but not much

I have had that front panel off before installed in the MH. What in the heck costs 200 bills?

Denny

On Dec 8, 2012, at 8:31, "ronjhallsr" ronjhall@...> wrote:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10238
My Seneca has the access door closure and latch rail that doesn't appear to be removable meaning the set would have to come out the bottom. Did you modify the rail so as let you remove the set out of the side? That would make it a more easy. Then to deal with the four hundred pounds..I think I could handle.
Denny

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10239
The Endura's brace/latch rail across the bottom of the genny opening is removable so the genny just needs to be dropped a few inches and then can come out the front. I used a forklift to remove/replace which made it fairly easy as the lift has sideshift. Ron put forks on his tractor as I remember and said that worked well. Now that I've done it once, I could probably get it out in 30 minutes.
Greg
MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:19 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Oil drip but not much

My Seneca has the access door closure and latch rail that doesn't appear to be removable meaning the set would have to come out the bottom. Did you modify the rail so as let you remove the set out of the side? That would make it a more easy. Then to deal with the four hundred pounds..I think I could handle.
Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10240
My GS has the latch bar bolted in. Used pallet forks on my tractor to remove it. Looked at Russ Hills when he visited me. I would cut the bar out. Then make a tie bar to bolt is back in. If you do not access ti a fork lift. Put MH on a hard flat surface. Place couple of furniture dolly's under generator. Place 4X4's between dollys to support generator on. Then remove mounting bolts and wires. Slide generator out from under MH. Reverse procedure to put back in. Good time to change belts and other recommended items while you have it out. Here is a link to some pictures I took.
http://s35.beta.photobucket.com/user/ronjhall/library/QD5500
There are some posted in Photos of this forum by another member also.
Quotes are around $500 for this repair.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10249

I was able to change my oil filler tube without removal of the genset on my 2007 Four Winds Chateau 35G. It was a tight fit and not much room to work, but I deemed it easier than removal of the genset, disconnecting fuel lines, wiring harnesses, and exhaust pipes.

Roger