Skip to main content
Topic: Freeze 911 (Read 409 times) previous topic - next topic

Freeze 911

Yahoo Message Number: 10294
The RV is at a community with strict Anti RV CCRs. Go figure. No power, no generator allowed, and it is parked at the police station. Sigh.

A freeze is expected tonight with temps that make me feel uncomfortable with no protection. Only supposed to last for one night so just a quick fix needed. I decided just to empty everything and blow them out with air pressure, and use antifreeze in the P- Traps.

Detailed process:

Step 0) Shut off hot water heater circuit breaker so that it does not get turned on by accident.

Step 1) is to dump all the tanks. ;-)

Step 2) open all low point drains. (It is very important to use the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank so that it will drain better.) Open all faucets.

Step 3) run the pump until it is dry.

Step 4) Set the water selector to city water. Shut all the faucets and low point drains.

Step 5) Attach an air pressure adapter to the city water connection. Set the pressure on the air compressor to 30 psi. An automatic locking chuck speeds things up.

Step 6) Move though each faucet and low point drain to make sure there is no water remaining. It took me two passes around to get to a comfort level.

Step 7) Make sure you get the toilet and outside shower.

Step 8) Leave all the faucets and low point drains open.

Step 9) Put RV Antifreeze in all the p traps and toilet.

Well, I would rather spend the time today than have to fix a pipe tomorrow. And I will sleep better. High winds as well. Lots of rocking and rolling.

Hope all is well.

Off to the Brazos River tomorrow...

Kevin KF5FUZ

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: Freeze 911

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10295
From past experience you would be ok without doing anything by setting thermostat at 50 degrees. But better to be safe than sorry.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10297

I agree with Ron. Did you unscrew the connections at the pump (or pump antifreeze through it) and let any trapped water run out? My experience has been the harder plastic components will crack when trapped water freezes in them long before the plastic supply & drain lines or holding tanks will. Another tricky spot even when I thought the lines were blown clear was trapped water in my outside shower fixture ( I assumed the water seeped to this low spot after I disconnected the blow out plug).

Roger

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10298
Great suggestions. I will try the pump disconnect next time the 911 hits.

Pump FYI - I have moved to soft hoses for the connection to the pump. This has a lot of advantages

1) Noise Reduction - The artificial Jake Break sound effect - I got a 3 db reduction in pump noise (noise cut by half) just by moving to flexible hoses to connect the pump!

2) Turns out that is the pump manufacturers recommendation on connection, and they say to NEVER use fixed plastic for pump connection. Jayco - are you listening?

3) Makes some of the maintenance tasks easier, such as disconnecting!

If you boondock a little or a lot - this is a great improvement.

Shower - I forced air through the shower connector while it was on the ground to make sure it was drained, and left these open, as well as all the faucets. I hear you, I have often been amazed at how much water gets forced out of the system - even when blown "clear" - as shown by running the antifreeze through. So there is always a little residual that gravity traps.  For me it is the long line to the kitchen sink I can never get clear. (Short of antifreeze)

Thanks for the tip on the hard components.  Good to know.

The good news is that the weatherman was inaccurate, and the expected freeze did not occur...  Ah well.  Cold, but not as predicted, and the wind died down.

Today I am going to re water up, and use Ron's other technique - GO WHERE IT IS WARMER!  We will also be back to sleeping in Roscoe Ventura - so more willing to use the furnace!

Happy Holidays

Kevin

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10299
FYI If you have.... remember the ice maker and drain both valve and line.