Skip to main content
Topic: Questions on 2009 Seneca 36MS (Read 496 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions on 2009 Seneca 36MS

Yahoo Message Number: 10389
We are new to the forum and are hoping for forum feedback in regards to the Jayco Seneca 2009 36 MS; which we are considering for our retirement RV.

We would appreciate input on the following:

• issues or concerns that we should be aware of when viewing prospective unit(s).
  • owner input on the Seneca and likes/dislikes you may have?
  • Benefits of Seneca Class C versus Class A Gas?
Also, we have a couple of specific questions:

• Is there a need for after market installations (ie. power chip/program, suspension/shocks, exhaust, etc)
  • Clarification on maximum cargo carrying capacity numbers?
  • The 8000lb hitch: does this allow towing a toad up to 8000lb and how does this affect the GCVW/GVWR
  • Mileage (the forum has owners getting from 7 to 11 mpg)
  • Performance when climbing hills - we live out West with mountains.
  • The 2009 Jayco Seneca Brochure notes the roof is fiberglass yet on page 3 of that brochure it states the roof is one piece rubber? Is the roof one piece fiberglass similar to the Winnebago Class A or one piece rubber over a thin fiber glass base?
  • Brochure found at: http://media.rvusa.com/library/09_Seneca_C.pdf

Thank you

Craig

Re: Questions on 2009 Seneca 36MS

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10390

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of craigtomash
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 3:21 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Questions on 2009 Seneca 36MS

We are new to the forum and are hoping for forum feedback in regards to the Jayco Seneca 2009 36 MS; which we are considering for our retirement RV.

We would appreciate input on the following:Here are my comments and I'm sure others will chime in.
  • issues or concerns that we should be aware of when viewing prospective unit(s).Nonethat I am aware of.
  • owner input on the Seneca and likes/dislikes you may have?We really don't have any dislikes except they didn't use Big Foot levelers when they built it and that's with 38,000 on an 08
  • Benefits of Seneca Class C versus Class A Gas?Diesel and something between me and the windshield
  • Is there a need for after market installations (ie. power chip/program, suspension/shocks, exhaust, etc)Add KONI shocks and at least the rear trac-bar.
  • Clarification on maximum cargo carrying capacity numbers?Can't address that.
  • The 8000lb hitch: does this allow towing a toad up to 8000lb and how does this affect the GCVW/GVWRI know this will be "discussed", but according to Allison service center as well as my Medium duty Chev dealer the 26,000 was because of the parking pawl in the 1000 Trans. The 1000, 2000 and 2300 Trans are all the same with the exception of what size the parking pawl is. I tow a Silverado extended cab with a golf cart in the bed and have no problems, trans temps stay well within limits even climbing Jellico Mtn in TN, I know I'm over on GCVW. You definitely need supplemental braking (Brake Buddy etc). Allison also stressed that you need to use the parking brake and not just Park on the trans.
  • Mileage (the forum has owners getting from 7 to 11 mpg) I have averaged 8.74 since day one. (tracked every gallon)
  • Performance when climbing hills - we live out West with mountains. We did fine in Denver, but as with any large vehicle you won't win the race.
  • The 2009 Jayco Seneca Brochure notes the roof is fiberglass yet on page 3 of that brochure it states the roof is one piece rubber? Is the roof one piece fiberglass similar to the Winnebago Class A or one piece rubber over a thin fiber glass base? One piece fiberglass, don't know where the rubber came from?

Thank you
Craig

Re: Questions on 2009 Seneca 36MS

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10391
Attachments :

Below my comments, and of course everyone has a different experience. I have a 2008 MS though, had few issues, but for the most part nothing terrible.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of craigtomash
    Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 3:21 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Questions on 2009 Seneca 36MS

We would appreciate input on the following:
    • issues or concerns that we should be aware of when viewing prospective unit(s).
    big slide out awning, it is way too big and there is only one spring at one end, it happened to mine and 2 more I saw the same thing, the cap on the spring has a short tong, that does not hold the spring hence the fabric will be floppy when it rolls in, also any water on the top of that would hold the fabric as well, I got mine fixed, and retracting the slide is a 3 stage job, retract and check, but ever since it has been fine. Maybe 09 are ok.
    Check the pressure shocks on the storage doors, they can go bad with time, mine on the propane door barely holds it.

• owner input on the Seneca and likes/dislikes you may have?
    4 waste tanks was a surprise, 2 black and 2 gray, the dealer never told me that, sometimes I think it is too much. Check how the tanks are secured underneath the floor, you can check from inside storage bays.
    There are mods you can make, but again that is all personal, like I would like to make the tv on the front so I can tilt and move, one of these days....
    • Benefits of Seneca Class C versus Class A Gas?
    I like the cabin "thing", nice to have engine outside, it also makes easier to find people to work on since it is out, and they are not "sponge" like some class As.
    You can drive a diesel all day long and performance will be the same and it has plenty of power.

• Is there a need for after market installations (ie. power chip/program, suspension/shocks, exhaust, etc)
    I put hellwig springs in the back, did myself not hard at all.
    Next would be koni shocks
    And one of these days if I get my act together change the headlights and put some extras long range lights, if you do lots of night driving the stock lights are not good.
    • Clarification on maximum cargo carrying capacity numbers?
    Everyone would have different needs on what to carry, one thing I can say though, after 3 years I am ready to do a big PURGE , half of what is in there never been touched.
    • The 8000lb hitch: does this allow towing a toad up to 8000lb and how does this affect the GCVW/GVWR
    • Mileage (the forum has owners getting from 7 to 11 mpg)
    I got 8 pulling the Jeep liberty and almost 9.5 without, never go over 65mph though.
    • Performance when climbing hills - we live out West with mountains.
    • The 2009 Jayco Seneca Brochure notes the roof is fiberglass yet on page 3 of that brochure it states the roof is one piece rubber? Is the roof one piece fiberglass similar to the Winnebago Class A or one piece rubber over a thin fiber glass base? It is fiber glass one piece
    Good luck and spend some time inside, check it out, do the works (pretend you have to dump tanks, hook ups, etc...) consider how often and where you will be spend more time, does the unit fit your needs and even if it has few things you do not like, can you live with it? Maybe there is other things you like more so it evens out.
    Thank you
    Craig