Skip to main content
Topic: New Turbocharger??? (Read 479 times) previous topic - next topic

New Turbocharger???

Yahoo Message Number: 10392

Hey all,

I have 2 codes. P0234 comes on after every reset and start. I also get a P003A, but not after every reset.
I have gone into limp mode 3 times with this condition, but before I was able to reach a safe spot to pull over, the engine came back to life.
On the flats, you might not know anything is wrong, but start up a grade, even slight ones, and it becomes obvious there is no power. The speed slowly bleeds off until the hill is crested.
The shop claims the turbocharger needs replacing.
The engine is a 2006 LLY duramax with 25K on the odometer. The temps (trans & engine) stay in the normal range. The engine is all stock, not tuners, exhaust mods, etc.
Anyone have any input on this.

Roger

Re: New Turbocharger???

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10393
Best I can find on the 2 codes is Turbo Vanes are sticking. Possibly cause by oil sludge. My fist guess would be to check wiring to turbo position sensor and any connections.
Most links I hits I got were replace Turbo. Not good. Also check all the tubes and hoses for the turbo.
Wish I could help but most information links to Turbo. I bought a new Turbo off EBAY for $350 including shipping. You may get lucky and find one also.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: New Turbocharger???

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10398

Thanks Ron,

I too have searched the net and Turbo replacement is where I keep ending up as well. I was hoping for a miracle cure from you guys in the group who are very informative.
So I guess its not a shock to have to replace a turbo with such low mileage, but some age.
When my fan blade flew apart last summer, and the guys pulled the front end off, they notice some sludge looking oil in one of the hoses connected to the turbo and said it needed replacing soon. When the owner of the shop came in, he said the Chevy's do that and the turbo was fine. It seems maybe the young guys might have been onto something, that was 3000 miles ago.
The mechanic that has the RV stated the turbo has been redesigned and they have a later generation of it now, making the assumption the original design must have bee having issues.

Roger