Skip to main content
Topic: PTO / High Idle Switch - Installed (Read 538 times) previous topic - next topic

PTO / High Idle Switch - Installed

Yahoo Message Number: 10589
As I indicated earlier I ordered the switch from the dealer when my coach was in for service. Install took about 10 minutes. Contrary to what another posted stated mine fit in the correct spot - 2nd from the left on the top row. My coach has the fake wood dash that I was confused just how it was to be removed - just give it a more than gentle pull. A little look at how the gauges and switch panel come out will give you heads up on that one - it takes almost zero effort to remove it so don't force it too much.

Not sure when / why I might need this - the batteries charge just fine at low (regular) idle - I checked it in the various modes. I do however think the coach wants to sense that its batteries are fully charged before it transfers over charging duty to the house batteries? Maybe someone knows how it is supposed to operate?

Attached is the dash pulled apart ready to swap out the dummy face place with the switch. The wiring harness is attached to the dummy plate requiring the lock to be disengaged to get it off.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Re: PTO / High Idle Switch - Installed

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10590
Thanks for the info. I have a switch but have not installed it. Because Gulf Stream used that hole for the emergency start switch where the PTO switch belongs. It has drilled holes and screws where the switch belongs. Will have to look at it again.
For those that have or will be installing the switch. Do not forget to turn it off or turn it on by mistake. There have been several reports of it causing operation problems similar to reduced power when a engine fault it detect.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10591
It has a light to let you know its on. After the fact I am now not sure why I would ever use it??

You can order the "High Idle" switch which just looks different - in my manual it shows that spot set up for EITHER high idle or PTO.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2013 2:46 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: PTO / High Idle Switch - Installed

Thanks for the info. I have a switch but have not installed it. Because Gulf Stream used that hole for the emergency start switch where the PTO switch belongs. It has drilled holes and screws where the switch belongs. Will have to look at it again.
For those that have or will be installing the switch. Do not forget to turn it off or turn it on by mistake. There have been several reports of it causing operation problems similar to reduced power when a engine fault it detect.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10625
Hi - Thanks for the pic (still waiting for my switch to arrive - comming by mail). One of the reasons you might want to use the high idle, would be to keep your diesel from running to cold. If you go to the owners manual GM does not recommend a low idle speed for any length of time - (they GM) - recommend kicking the idle up to allow for a better operating temp for your diesel...

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10689
Could someone provide the part GM part number and the cost?
Thanks, Kev

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10701
Thanks for the part number it was helpful.
That switch has the PTO label, I contacted a local GMC Truck
dealer and as luck would have it they had the switch with the
RPM^ label, bet they were happy to sell it.
It was out of package so imagine it was tried out at some time prior.
The GM part number for this switch is 9466 7403 or a Delco D1034.
Cost was $24.20
Kev

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10703
Well lucky me I guess... after installing the switch the idle did raise when I pressed the switch.
I do have a PTO relay in the underhood fuse box and did have the parking brake engaged.
Is there a fuse that needs to be installed or does the computer need to be set to know the switch is in place?
I had figured it was a "plug and play" type item, I had put it in the top row second from the left spot and it was the only connector that is keyed to fit the switch. I have access to a TECH-2 check the computer, has anyone else had an issue with this switch install?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10704
After reading my post I realized it says the idle did rise.
I had meant to say THE IDLE DID NOT RAISE WHEN THE SWITCH WAS PRESSED.
Also with rooting around for info found the CRUISE CONTROL is part of the system and will need to check for a FOG LIGHT FUSE too.
Could someone with the system in proper operation describe in detail how it works and what needed to be done besides the switch?
Thanks, Kev