Skip to main content
Topic: Brake buddy support (Read 458 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake buddy support

Yahoo Message Number: 10712
Hi

I got a brake buddy classic to put on our jeep liberty while towing.
I tested and it is great.

Just wondering if anyone has built an extra support for it or a board to put against the seat? Or am I complicating this too much?

Thanks
Mo

Re: Brake buddy support

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10715
I haven't put a brace in, but the first time I towed my Jeep JKU, I didn't position the brake buddy correctly. It was pushing on the brakes just enough that they heated up until the rotors glowed!
I actually noticed the reflection of the glow on the pavement (through my rear camera) and pulled over to see what was going on! Kinda made me skittish about using the BB, but I think I just didn't have it positioned to fully release the brake pedal.

Chester

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10717
To help prevent this, I run a bungee from the brake pedal and wrap around the steering column.

If the toad's brake lights operate with the ignition off, there are wireless systems you can install that will produce a telltale for the motorhome driver that the brake pedal is depressed.

Here is the one I have used.

http://blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/BX88180.pdf

If the toad's brake lights don't work with the ignition off, it would need an a switch installed on the brake pedal to feed 12 volts to the switching input of the transmitter.

Charles

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10718
Good tips. My Brake Buddy had a wireless light integrated, but after some testing with the unit in the cab, it apparently wasn't reliable. I'll have to check into the type of one you linked to!

Chester Hull