Skip to main content
Topic: Puck Light Heat Shield Concern (Read 658 times) previous topic - next topic

Puck Light Heat Shield Concern

Yahoo Message Number: 10846
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20367462/sn/2054977519/name/puck+light.jpg
Just an FYI.
I went into my motorhome and I discovered a puck light was on. I figured someone must had left it on, but I discovered the switch was indeed off. I removed the fixture and I found that the aluminum foil used for a heat shield had deteriorated and a bunch of small pieces of the aluminum foil were sitting on top of the two connectors of the switch, creating the contact to turn on the light.
I had retrofitted mine to LED so heat was not a factor, but with the Halogen bulb, it heats up pretty good, which having that fixture on in an unattended coach for weeks or months at a time could be worrisome.
Wink

Re: Puck Light Heat Shield Concern

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10850
Well, that is instructive. THANK YOU FOR POSTING, scary picture.

Miss Sandy has asked me to retain one of the Halogen bulbs, the rest are all LEDs - but worth an inspection pass. What age was your coach? We are 2006.

To add to the list, when we bought our coach (used) someone had replaced the 922 bulbs (what the exterior fixture was rated for) with 921 bulbs (more watts and heat). That resulted in a scorch to the fixture and ruined the socket. I replaced the socket and then the bulbwith some LEDs that Ron spotted on Ebay. Brighter and cooler at 1/4 - 1/8th the amps.

So far I have only had to replace one LED light - broken controller. So that has been a big plus. Seemed like I was always replacing the old bulbs.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: Puck Light Heat Shield

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10848
The G4 halogen bulb had been replaced with a LED bulb that fit in the place of the G4 halogen bulb. Same fixture, different bulb.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10849
If you or anyone else has converted to LED. It may be a good idea to check for this foil having broken up. May be a good idea even if they have not been converted to LED. I have heard of many failures of these fixtures.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10852
Converting to LED did not have anything to do with the failure of the foil, as my conversion was just a bulb change. I never removed the fixtures to convert. As a matter of fact, I only recently installed the LED bulb, which plugs directly into the G4 socket. I had only turn on that fixture once since then and that was just to test it. The failure of the foil happened over time; from when the fixture was installed in 2007, to the time I noticed the light on three days ago, on March 14, 2013.

Wink

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10853
Let me take that back, as I only owned the Seneca for a year now, so I do not know if anybody else has ever removed that puck light prior to me, which could have caused the problem.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10859
Everybody's idea of how LED's color and brightness should be. Mine would be to put the brightest and whitest LED's I can get. Here are the ones I have put in many puck fixtures. They are a tight fit on some fixtures but have not found one that they did not fit in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380601579663?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
One member had the 9 LED's in his puck lights. Not enough light to read with. Put the 12's in and problem solved.
Best
Ron Hall