Skip to main content
Topic: Strange odor, whether rolling or stationary? (Read 589 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange odor, whether rolling or stationary?

Yahoo Message Number: 10939
Hi guys, this is my first posting after approximately one year membership, my rig is a 2006 Jayco 35 TM (toy hauler). In the first few miles of a just completed 600 mile trip from Arizona to New Mexico a strange odor was noticed in the cockpit and also when stopped, in the living area of the coach, which pretty much rules out exhaust fumes! Never smelled anything like it in my 71 years, sort of a lacquer spray paint smell? The coach has sat for two days now and the odor is still very strong, especially in the living area! As a former Marine diesel mechanic I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting, but this one has me stumped, all fluids checked out fine and there are no leaking brake systems on the vehicle. The truly odd thing is that it continues when the coach is stopped for the night!
Any and all help appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Strange odor, whether rolling or stationary?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10941
You may have something in the chassis dash ducts. That has a smell. Sometimes it is leaves that have rotted in the vents.
Also check that nothing is laying on exhaust system.
Check coach furnace duct for something laying in main box or runs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10942
Dead rat / mice?

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2013 2:07 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Strange odor, whether rolling or stationary?

You may have something in the chassis dash ducts. That has a smell. Sometimes it is leaves that have rotted in the vents.
Also check that nothing is laying on exhaust system.
Check coach furnace duct for something laying in main box or runs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10950
We, too had a strange odour in the living area. Discovered that the propane on one of the burners was on very low. Not enough to trigger the alarm, but enough to cause a faint odour. It was so little that we could not identify the fact that it was propane.

Also check if you have flaps in front of you rear wheels. We had flaps which rubbed against the wheel when traveling. The smell came up from under the fridge into the RV.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10957
There is a vent for the grey water system in my 2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS
inside the coach it is located under the kitchen sink out of sight.
I found it looking for an odor too.
It seemed to be the sink p-traps were dry from sitting a while and the tank was venting to the coach area,
Hope that helps.
Kev

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10959
My bad our unit is a 2007, not much different to speak of...