Skip to main content
Topic: Looking to buy a "Super C" (Read 4361 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Looking to buy a "Super C"

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 11319
IIRC, the diesel is an extra 100lbs over the 8.1. I had found the pallet weights a while back because I was curious myself, but I cant seem to find it again. I think they were both in the 800lb range, with the Duramax being the upper end of that range.

I found a tag from a Jayco 35GS last night, and its UVW is 18856, an additional 650lbs for the third slide. What this tells me is that anything more than 35' with more than two slides is not going to work for sure, and anything in that configuration will be close.

I guess now I need to figure out what else fits my criteria other than the 34SS. According to my back of the napkin math for a race weekend, Id be around 19K on the coach and 25K combined. I know for a camping weekend with no trailer Id be fine. It might be time to lose that extra 500lbs of crap I tote in the trailer too, as that would help overall.

Re: Looking to buy a \

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 11320
Matt FYI the tags on our 2004 6316 Gulfstream 8.1 gas are as follows; GVWR 26,000, GVWR 19,500, UVW (with full fuel) 16,040. 60gals water + 498lbs, 15gal propane + 64lbs. Recommended sticker @ the rear in the closet states 250lbs tongue weight and 3500lb trailer. My son tows a 24ft trailer (don't know the weight) to the desert and I tow a Honda civic on a tow dolly. Gets 7 to 8 mpg. Getting ready to sell has 50,000 miles, new tires + etc. San Diego area.

Bob Schlieder

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 11321
My son changed cars from a DSR to a GT2 which is much heavier. Out went a lot of his "nice" additions to his race trailer since the GT2 is double the weight of the DSR. He had to take out the sofa, A/C unit, nice cabinets, fridge, etc. to get down to the weight his Avalanche will tow safely. Only modification left is the bed that above the car and lowers when he unloads the car.

He bought a very nice travel trailer and we'd love to have it at the track as well but there is no way he can tow a train. :)

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 11322
Its funny you should mention the additions Don, because thats much of the stuff Id remove. I wouldnt need the weight distribution hitch that weighs 100+ pounds (its an Equalizer), wouldnt need the A/C, or the microwave, the fold down bed, or the fridge because Id have all that in the RV. Thats a big chunk of weight.

I did some looking around today, Dutchmen has a few Kodiak based chassis that are ~32ft.

Four Winds also made the Chateau with the Allison 2350 and the 26k GVWR / 30k GCWR. Finding one however? Good luck. :/

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 11323
I think FW made two of the HD Chateaus TOTAL. I saw one for sale only over the years.

I am moving to a Haulmark, Embark or Dynamax and will sell my Dutchmen Bunkhouse soon.

The weight distribution hitch sure makes the package drive better.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 11324
Matt, on one occasion when we were in the Elkhart area Denny asked me to have a look at the 30,000 lb GCWR unit. Unfortunately this was when the market was cratering and the day we tried to visit FW it was dead. Suppliers who were trying to deliver components were be turned back by security and told they'd have to come back again when operations restarted. They had shut down everything for an extended holiday. Frankly, I'm surprised all the manufacturers using the Kodiak didn't offer the 30000 lb option.

I've been wondering about Four Winds current offering because it looks like it could be a good RV and great for race towing.

It appears that Thor is trying to fill the gap left by the Kodiak with a Ford F-550 based unit that has good specs for race car towing. 19,500 lb GVWR and 35,000 lb GCWR and a 10,000 lb rated hitch (that would be the limiting factor for towing). It has the 6.7 Power Stroke diesel (300hp/660torque). When I looked at the specs on their web site a few months ago I found several nice features. Looks to have a lot of good storage as well 133 cu ft. Also has a great wheelbase to length ratio of .61 due to the 255 inch wheelbase.

Some of theme are shown at this link

http://fourwinds-super-c.com

http://www.motorhome.com/rv-reviews/motorhome-reviews/thor-motor-coach-introduced-its-33sw-f-550-super-c-motorhomes/

Several photos here: http://www.rileysrvworld.com/2013-thor-motor-coach-four-winds-33sw-new-class-c-ky-i687010#

And here http://www.bluedogrv.com/inventory/287730/New-2014-Thor-Motor-Coach-Four-Winds-Super-C-33SW.aspx

The more I look at this unit the more I'm wondering if I can slip one by DW without her getting upset. :)
Don

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 11325
I was wondering just what's different in the suspension between the 30,000 pound GCWR and the 26,000 pound GCWR.
I would like to raise the back of mine up and I'm not sure what to use to do it because it is the 30,000 GCWR.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 11326
Don,

We saw one at a local RV show a while back IIRC.

I do know that I would buy one "eyes open" being based on the Ford chassis. You may want to read up on the Ford/Chevy issues with the Bosch CP4 fuel pumps, but suffice to say after seeing two friends with SuperDutys cover pump replacements out of their pocket even though the trucks were under warranty, I dont want a Ford diesel in my driveway until they come around. Otherwise, I agree they look like great units.

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 11327
Gee, you are a rare bird then with the 30,000 lb GCWR.

My suggestion would be air bags. Ron can give you better guidance on that as to type and supplier. As I mentioned earlier, I wish I'd put ab's on mine - in fact, they should have come with all Kodiak based RV's. We have them on our current MH and they sure do make a difference with respect to ride and levelness.

Don

Reply #34
Yahoo Message Number: 11328
Matt, that is the primary concern I've seen noted on another forum.

I've got my own bone to pick with Ford now. We got a 2011 Escape that the manual and Ford said is towable four down. Well, they've burned out a lot of trannys. On the FMCA forum one owner reported that he is on his fourth. So we have been "lucky" if that is what one can call it. But, it is a deterrent to using the MH because the entire time you are towing you wonder if the transmission is about to burn out and you will be stranded for a week while the nearest dealer gets and installs a replacement. One owner had his replaced and off they went towing it from the dealer and the new one burned out within 150 miles.

The dealer is to lower the transmission fluid to the RV tow level shown on the stick. The problem is that the fluid should be at 185 deg+ when this is done. I drove our Escape for an hour before the dealer lowered the level and I shifted the auto transmission up and down with lots of time in lower gears. Later, I put my son's ScanGauge in it (the one we got for the Kodiak is a bit older and no tranny fluid temp) and in normal driving it takes a lot of get the temperature up that high as normal driving is much lower. Thus, I think many did not get the fluid level lowered properly. I "think" we did. BUT, when towing it, whenever we stop I jump out and head right for the Escape and check the fluid temp on the ScanGauge. Would you believe we've been up to 200 degrees. No torque going through of course. Very strange. We have not put a rear dirt skirt on the MH like we did with the Kodiak (Rock Guard) because I've been wondering if that adds to the problem by blocking the airflow from under the MH to the toad, and thus aiding in the higher temperature of the fluid and the burn outs.

I decided we've played enough chicken and better get our butts in gear and use the MH more often. So, I went to the Remco site to look at the lube pump. It says for the Escape AWD they don't provide them direct to owners, you have to get it through Ford. My dealer checked with Ford and the signals got crossed and they rejected any assistance (which I was not requesting). I've now made it clear to them that all I want to know is (1) will Ford sell us the lube pump, (2) will the dealer install it, and (3) do we still have our power train warranty for the 5 years. If the price is reasonable and we are covered by the warranty we'll do it. If they won't sell us the pump or if the price is unrealistic, or there is no warranty - then DW is getting a new car a lot sooner than she ever imagined.

I've got her next car selected already - the new Jeep Cherokee. It has an optional transmission that they point out is good for RV dingy towing as it has a transfer case with a neutral. Had that in our Tahoe and earlier Colorado and I'm kicking myself for not sticking with a transfer case system. If the Cherokee demand is off the wall (I suspect it might be) and there is a long wait list, then she will be driving a Honda CRV. Keep all this a secret since I have to set up the process so she thinks she is selecting her own car. :)

Don

Reply #35
Yahoo Message Number: 11330
We're the second owner but as far as I know, the Duramax was always an option. I've never weighed just the motorhome unloaded but I doubt the Duramax is anymore than 100 lbs heavier than the gasser. On the west coast, the exhaust brake is worth the extra cost of the diesel.

Reply #36
Yahoo Message Number: 11331
That's weird I've got Firestone airbags I run them at 90 pounds and the Rearend is still two or 3 inches lower and I drag on the rollers sometimes. The rear is lower then front.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #37
Yahoo Message Number: 11332
I to had only air bags and had the same results as Larry at 90 psi. We both must have the 15k rear spring packs. This spring I had "Super Springs" installed that raised the rear at least 1 1/2 inches. I then reinstalled the air bags for more roll control. I inflate the bags to just 60 psi now. So far I am happy with the improvement.

Larry Payne  wrote:

That's weird I've got Firestone airbags I run them at 90 pounds and the Rearend is still two or 3 inches lower and I drag on the rollers sometimes. The rear is lower then front.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #38
Yahoo Message Number: 11334
I know a guy that put two extra 750 pound leafs on each side and that fixed it for him I think that's what I'm going to do thanks

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #39
Yahoo Message Number: 11335
Larry I think some members of the group did just that 4 or 5 years ago and it did help.

Don

Mini

Reply #40
Yahoo Message Number: 11336
Well, I did just happen to find one local to me after all.

http://www.tomjohnsoncamping.com/Page.aspx/diid/7344138/list/InventoryList/pageId/30553/view/Details/2007-Jayco-SENECA-34SS.aspx

We might try to look at it this weekend, and I've requested some information from them as well. I know the CAT scales are 15 miles away too, so I could get a weight if we drive it.

Does anyone have a good checklist of things to look for or check in a used RV, or any specifics I should check on the Kodiak chassis?

Reply #41
Yahoo Message Number: 11337
thats the big difference on the 22k chassis vs the19.5 - it does even sag full of water and with a trailer.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #42
Yahoo Message Number: 11338
my 19,500# that is.......

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #43
Yahoo Message Number: 11354
Hi Folks,

If anyone is interested, my 08/09 Seneca 36MS is still for sale. Price negotiable.

Bill Burns
Bigbill2010@...

Reply #45
Yahoo Message Number: 11356
Better stay away from the FS. Had many issues with big slide

Reply #46
Yahoo Message Number: 11357
Actually, the 36fs has two smaller slides. Might you be thinking of the MS floorplan? The MS has a giant slide...running almost the full box length.

What we are looking for is the bunk model.

Chester

Reply #48
Yahoo Message Number: 11364
Hi Again,

Someone mentioned the problems with the big slide out on the 36MS. After several years of fighting that battle, we have now gone 2 years with no trouble at all. Here is what we found out.

Every time the large slide out controller was installed into the master panel (including the very first time), there was a tendency for the switches to break free from the circuit board. After replacing several switch panels, I observed the technician do the installation, and saw that he had to force the part into the master panel. I looked at the part after it failed to work and saw that the switch was loose in the circuit board. I had him saw a bigger hole for the panel to fit in and with a new part installed, it has worked perfectly ever since.

I hope this can help someone else out there.

Bill