Skip to main content
Topic: Sky Light Leak (Read 652 times) previous topic - next topic

Sky Light Leak

Yahoo Message Number: 11504
During our torrential rains in Georgia, our sky light leaked in the shower area, any suggestions on making the repairs would be appreciated. Our MH is 2005 Gulf Stream. Also need suggestions on cleaning the fabric on the ceiling.

I enjoy this forum very much, we have gotten lots of help from the posts on here.

Thanks,

Richard and Frances

Re: Sky Light Leak

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11505
Clean the old caulk and skylight. Then put 4" Eternabond tape around the seam where it attaches to roof.
I use Resolve Upholstery Cleaner on the ceiling. Put it on a cloth or sponge and rub it into ceiling fabric. May require more than one application.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11506
When I first purchased my motorhome the sklight in the shower leaked. The plastic lens had been tightened too much when installed and the plastic curled up through the dicor over time. I stripped off all the caulking installed a new skylight, I found at a local RV supplier in Salt Lake in stock and then sealed it back up with Eternabond.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11507
I have an 05 Diesel Endura also.

Ours leaked too. I replaced my whole skylight with a new clear unit. I bought it on line, but the web site escapes me right now The clear unit lets in a lot more light than the old opaque skylight and the UV rays from the sun will also help kill any germs, mold and mildew that might grow in that area. When I removed ours to install a new unit it came apart in pieces, happy I took the time to replace it now rather than having it break apart while on a trip! I removed the old unit, put down a nice bead of Dicor, and seated the new skylight onto the dicor. Screwed the new unit down with stainless screws (tight but not too tight to crack the skylight) then coated the screws with dicor. That was 6 months ago and have not had any water since!

As a far as cleaning the material, I bought a Bissell Spot Clean Pro ( http://www.bissell.com/spotclean-pro/ ) to clean both that area and where the old TV antenna had leaked water. The only problem was that once I cleaned those areas, I had to do the ceilings in the rest of the coach because now they looked dirty compared to the areas I cleaned. I am amazed how well this little cleaner works. Don't have any connections with Bissell, just a very happy customer! It is worth the $129 I paid and have used it over and over both in the RV and home.

Hope this helps!

Steven Kerns
Kutztown, PA
--

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11509
I agree with all the other comments. Resolve, Eternabond, ...

To add to those comments - I think I got my parts from Jayco, and was surprised that the pricing was not outrageous - for example the neo angle inner garnish (the plastic in mine was degraded and fragile, it broke apart when I pulled it down.) was like 50$
I did substitute stainless steel hardware for all screw locations as I saw rust in several places.

After messing with the ceiling carpet one too many times, I did go crazy and remove all the carpet in the shower area and replace it with FRP (Thanks to a suggestion from Russ). I will send you a PDF off list. I still have the Ozite (carpet) everywhere else.

I will also send you an example of how to clean and install Eternabond in a pdf. But there are many good videos and examples out there. But this will show you what worked for me, and what tools make it easy.

Kevin

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11550

Thanks to everyone for all the advice on the Sky Light Repair, it was very helpful. Please keep posting all the great information, it really does help.

Thanks to all!

Richard and Frances