Skip to main content
Topic: Charging Chassis Battery (Read 384 times) previous topic - next topic

Charging Chassis Battery

Yahoo Message Number: 11519
This is a little $100.00 panel that is three stages so as to under charge as well as over charge. PLUGS into cig lighter. My mh can sit for months and chassis batteries are fine . I don’t understand the problem, what am I missing.  From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin (Real) McCoySent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:07 PMTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.comCc: RockySubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Charging Chassis Battery    Hey Rocky.We had a little Medical Emergency with one of my daughters 2011, and after the Rally in Kerrville we hung up our spurs and put our RV in storage.  Hit the disconnect in the coach.  (Note there is at least one coach light not controlled by this switch - specifically the light in the pump house.)On the chassis side...I disconnected the power lead under the hood and bagged it.  Lots of power here so removing rings etc. a good idea prior to messing with this.For my coach - a Jayco - I also had a mystery wire that goes back to the coach (it is shown in the PDF).  Because of this wire - a disconnect under the hood is not enough for an extended absence.  )  I think this is for the steps.  For really long departures you would probably do better to disconnect the batteries all together.  Climate controlled storage also is good for battery life, and so would be leaving them on a minder, because even with no load there is a slow discharge.)  So I was disappointed to find that this had done a slow discharge while in storage.  So I blew it.  Still the batteries came back with the battery minder and seem to be OK.Interested in hearing what other folks have done with possibly more success!KevinOn 7/17/2013 9:30 PM, Rocky wrote:   Thanks Kevin & Don,If I disconnect the battery for extended lengths, will that cause the engine computer to do strange things? Some rigs lose their memory if disconnected. My first remedy was to put an on-board automatic battery charger that plugs in a 110vac outlet and keep the chassis battery charged whenever it is on shore power. I think I can install this type of charger using the existing 110vac system in the coach without a lot of difficulties.My second option was to install a battery shutoff switch to kill all power to the chassis when parked, and manually engage it whenever the engine needed to be started.Before either of these options, I needed to see how y'all handled this problem. Thanks, I really appreciate the fast response.Rocky--- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Don Leslie <grandriver125@...> wrote:>> We simply disconnected the battery. Frankly, I don't know why most manufacturers don't observe and improve. Only one of our four motorhomes (41 ft. Ambassador DP) had a kill switch for the 4 house batteries and the 2 coach batteries. We disconnected our chassis battery of our Kodiak when sitting in use in Florida for the winter and only put the trickle charger on it once for a short period. When we headed north it started immediately. > > Now, I have a kill switch on the negative battery post and simply disconnect it when it is sitting at a storage yard. > > With all the complaints I've seen on this over the past 10 years it leads me to believe that most manufacturers don't pay attention to users - or they would have set up the electrical system to provide a charge for the chassis battery. > > I've seen dealers wedge paper into the house to chassis battery cut over switch when the chassis battery dropped too low and had to be charged. When we had problems with a short in a Trojan battery I asked Trojan about doing that to keep the chassis battery charged (which was not one of theirs) and their tech people responded with a huge NO. > > I think now I understand what their concern was. When you get house batteries that are in different condition it can cause charging problems and damage batteries. I think that may be the issue when you then run off power to the chassis battery - but that is just a guess on my part. I don't have battery expertise on my CV. :)> > > Don  No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2013.0.3349 / Virus Database: 3204/6498 - Release Date: 07/17/13No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2013.0.3349 / Virus Database: 3204/6500 - Release Date: 07/17/13

Re: Charging Chassis Battery

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11533
My thoughts too.

Power still goes to steps so adding a on/off switch is nice for them. I like to force the steps "in" sometimes like when parking cloe to the curb at the beach.

Still the batts should be good for months and the coach should be started anyway...my storage place keeps a 30 day marker from check in and runs the genset and engine if you have not checked it out.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Charging Chassis Battery