Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Kodiak heater core and radiator reservior (Read 379 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacing Kodiak heater core and radiator reservior

Yahoo Message Number: 11560
Jeff Cox was on his way to my place with motorhome last week when his heater core sprung a leak. I met him about 12 miles from my place. Jeff got the heater hoses off engine and radiator while I drove over to Auto Zone and pickup 3' of 5/8" heater hose. Installed hose between engine and radiator with new clamps and put 2 gallons of distilled water in radiator. Jeff made it to my place with no further problems.
We enjoyed Jeff and Tina's company until new parts arrived on Thursday. They got to spend some time enjoying the nicer things in the area.
One morning Jeff pulled the leaking heater core out. About 6 screws on cab side of firewall. Then cut a marked line on heater core cover. Hard part was removing the hose clamps on engine side of firewall.
On Thursday morning Jeff started the install of new heater core. Cab side was easy. Darn clamps are tucked in between heater fan and a vent tube. After a little #*!@^! Jeff got the clamps installed. Radiator reservoir level switch was bad on MH. When ordering heater core we ordered a reservoir also. I did it's change out while Jeff was finishing heater core.
Ordered both parts from Amazon for less than $150 with shipping.
Added some more distilled water to fill radiator. No leaks or low antifreeze light. Checked antifreeze. Good for -30F.
Enjoyed Jeff and Tina visiting us and the knowledge of how to do another repair on a Kodiak.
Best
Ron Hall