Skip to main content
Topic: Coach battery compartment (Read 676 times) previous topic - next topic

Coach battery compartment

Yahoo Message Number: 11622
Problems with an 07 6362.

The original 12 volt batteries were removed and a new battery holder was welded up. It holds 4 6 volt batteries and it is almost impossible to remove the batteries.

It appears a back was attempted to be constructed that covered the back of the battery compartment but it only covers part of the back.

The front door has the weather strip missing on one side.

As you can imagine, the batteries and connections quickly are covered with road debris.

Has anyone experienced similar conditions?

I am unsure if the rear of the compartment is or should be enclosed. Also, unsure why a piece of the weater strip is missing on the front door.

Any suggestion as how to make the batteries slide out?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Coach battery compartment

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11624
Some Ideas / Alternatives

Not saying I have tried these, just brainstorming.

Honestly We have been to some nasty areas, places we probably should not have been, red mud, sticky alkaline stuff, and I have never had that much debris get kicked up into the coach battery area... Some other areas have required a lot of work to clean after these "excursions". (Our battery location is not sealed, is open on the bottom, but does not appear to get that bad.) Not sure why you are seeing the issue, (Did the weld frame drop lower to provide space for the extra two 6vs?) Maybe it is the seal, but perhaps it is something else ...

Kevin
Jayco 34 SS 2007

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11626
I had one of the filler kits from CW. Had nothing but problems with it. One valve or another seemed to stuck every time I use it. Plus if you live in a area that freezes. The system needs to be removed to keep water in it from freezing.
Batteries in my motorhome very seldom need water. Does your converter have a charge wizard on it. If not get one. It will make a big difference on how much water batteries need. Also keeps them charged better.
I use a GM Parker battery fill bottle to keep my batteries full of water. Do not need to look in battery. Just put bottle nozzle on battery hole and when bubbling has stopped, battery cell is full.
http://www.amazon.com/Plews-75-030-Capacity-Plastic-Battery/dp/B000RFUF12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375087914&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+water+bottle
Removing batteries is a pain on my motorhome also. Thank goodness it has only happened twice in the 9 years of ownership.
Batteries on my MH are mounted about 3' in front of rear wheel on driver side. Not much dirt. But I do wash them down with water when they get dirty. I have heard of people adding plastic panels to help keep dirt out. Whatever is done the batteries need ventilation.
Another thing that helps batteries is proper wiring to get maximum output and best charging.
http://www.solarrvpanels.com/index.php/wiring-rv-batteries-properly/
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11628
Since it freezes in my area, that may not be a good idea.

My batteries need to be checked more regular but they require being removed to do so which is a chore.
Don't know even if I have a converter but know there is an inverter.
Saw the fill bottle but to use anything requires removal.

Surely, there is some type of slide out tray that can be fabricated???

Thanks

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11630
Looks like the only way a slide out will work is to cut the bottom front edge of the compartment in order for it to slide.

Seems like they could have better engineered the battery box.

Thanks

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11636
Take some pictures of your battery compartment. I am sure that someone will have a idea.
You should have a converter. GS used the Progressive Dynamics 9100 or 9200 models.
Your battery compartment does not sound like it is original factory install. I have plenty of room above batteries to use the battery fill bottle I linked.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11640
sulfuric acid dosen't freeze.

the fill tubing and the valves will have distilled water left in the lines and above the valves but gravity will drain the tubing if your worried about freezing.

or a Kevin said agm

during a years time our 6 6volt batteries will take on maybe 30-40 oz of water.

don