Skip to main content
Topic: Wink's dim headlight fix (Read 931 times) previous topic - next topic

Wink's dim headlight fix

Yahoo Message Number: 11758
When I drove my Seneca home the day I purchased it, I noticed right after the sun went down during my drive that the headlamps were real, real, real dim. I actually turned the lights off and on to see it there was a difference. Since I mostly drive the Seneca during the day, the headlights were not a big priority. But the last time I drove at night, I figured now was the time.

I reviewed the wiring schematic for the headlamps to figure out where GM actually went wrong with their design of the headlamp circuit. After gathering some readings from my DVOM I determined the loss of voltage to the headlamps was on the power side of the circuit with a voltage drop of a little over two volts caused by the circuit going through the headlight switch, the dimmer switch, and the gauge of the wiring used in regards to the length of wire. GM should have added high and low beam relays just before the headlight harness split to the right and left headlights.

I did what I feel GM should have done and I added the two relays, which fixed the problem. I documented this modification with photos and added them to this forum's Photo Library in a Album called "Wink's dim headlight fix".

I hope this helps others brighten up their driving experience.

Re: Wink's dim headlight fix

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11759
I found similar voltage drops with my Kodiak. It got worse because I installed Silverstars. They draw 55 watts instead of the 35 watts that stock light use.
I did a complete rewire with relays on the low and high beams. Easiest fix I found was to install a 10 gauge ground wire from frame to each sides headlights. Makes a big difference.
I also aimed headlights using my car as a gauge to set the Kodiak lights. Found my Kodiak and others are usually about a 6" below my cars headlights at 25'. That's like the headlights are pointing into the ground just past the bumper.
Here is a link to my conversion that I listed on Diesel Place.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-gm-trucks/34-medium-duty-trucks/455393-expertise-needed.html#post4583312
I did move the ground wire to a location on the frame. Which improved headlights a lot.
I also did the ground upgrade on another members Kodiak. His reports are that all is good for night time driving.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11760
On my 2007 Kodiak the voltage loss on the ground side was only .27V. The positive side was the big culprit with a 2V loss. Before I started testing I was hoping it was just the ground side as it would be the simplest fix, but after looking at the schematic I knew that would not be the case. Doing just the ground the circuit would still be 2 volts lower than system voltage at the headlights and the headlamps would still be dim. Other years might be different.

I agree that the headlamps also need adjusting, which I did prior to the installation of the relays, but I felt there was a little if any improvement as the headlights were still too dim to really make a difference.

I am very happy with the improvement after installing the relays. This is the way it should have left the factory.

I went with the Hella 60/55W headlamps. I tested the voltage drop after installing the Hella (relay installed) and compared to the Halogen bulbs, there was no increase in voltage loss, but the lights were brighter with those bulbs.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11762
Thanks wink....
Your album gives me the confidents fix my headlights.
I got a 2007 kodiak. I can't wait.
Larry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11763
Wink,

Great work on this modification. I too have an 2007 Seneca 34SS and find myself behind the wheel at night on many country roads hauling our bluegrass band around to different venues in the northeast. Between your fine explanation and photos, coupled with Ron Hall's detailed headlight treatment I believe I've got a plan!

Many thanks to you, Ron Hall and this fine yahoo group for all of the help and inspiration.

Mods completed so far based on the group's input: SuperSteer Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer, Koni Shocks Front and Rear, SeeLevel Tank gauges, All fluorescent ceiling lights converted to LED, and slide bolts to hold drawers closed.

Thanks again,
Bobby

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of winkvzn
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:14 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Wink's dim headlight fix

When I drove my Seneca home the day I purchased it, I noticed right after the sun went down during my drive that the headlamps were real, real, real dim. I actually turned the lights off and on to see it there was a difference. Since I mostly drive the Seneca during the day, the headlights were not a big priority. But the last time I drove at night, I figured now was the time.

I reviewed the wiring schematic for the headlamps to figure out where GM actually went wrong with their design of the headlamp circuit. After gathering some readings from my DVOM I determined the loss of voltage to the headlamps was on the power side of the circuit with a voltage drop of a little over two volts caused by the circuit going through the headlight switch, the dimmer switch, and the gauge of the wiring used in regards to the length of wire. GM should have added high and low beam relays just before the headlight harness split to the right and left headlights.

I did what I feel GM should have done and I added the two relays, which fixed the problem. I documented this modification with photos and added them to this forum's Photo Library in a Album called "Wink's dim headlight fix".

I hope this helps others brighten up their driving experience.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11816
Hello Wink,

I too have headlight issues but saw the infor from ron hall before your was posted.

We have attempted to follow the instructions of ron but for some reason can't see the forest for the trees. In addition, we are having real ground issues which not helping.

It seems we didn't follow the instruction in adding the 2 wire black and red connection but went directly to the relays. 4 relays in all. Our problem is we are lost with that the red wires coming out of the relays conects to.

Do you know how to directly contact ron?
Thanks,
Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11818
If you are technically minded at all its very easy. If not here is roughly what needs to be done in the big picture. There are different ways to do it.

1. The routing, size and length of the electrical lines to the headlights is BAD. The 13 volts drops way too much leaving the bulb dull and brown.
2. The solution is to get the voltage up to snuff in some manner.
2A. Replace the wires
2B. Run new wires

2C. Add a direct wiring to the battery to a relay (that relay can be operated by the existing light voltage OK if you want) That is what I would do.

If I were doing mine I would just:
  • Tap into the battery and run B+ power to two relays with an inline fuse. One wire from the battery, split to go to each relay.
  • Wire each operating relay to the existing lights (high / low) - this will tell the relay to turn on or off
  • Wire the "hot" end of the relay to the Headlight - Giving it FULL B+ Voltage
  • Run a fresh ground wire to a good part of the chassis from each light.
If you are not following you may be in over your head. A local auto electric place can sort you out in probably less than an hour worth of charges.

Problem solved. What you are doing is pretty simple, but actually getting in there and doing it? There are have been a couple methods described. I would not tap into the wiring harness except at the very end where the plug goes to the lamps. It makes it way easier to trouble shoot for you or the next person who may have to look at it.

I have been lazy, do not usually drive at night and thus have left mine for another day when I have nothing to do out camping.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 6:26 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] RE: Wink's dim headlight fix

Hello Wink,

I too have headlight issues but saw the infor from ron hall before your was posted.

We have attempted to follow the instructions of ron but for some reason can't see the forest for the trees. In addition, we are having real ground issues which not helping.

It seems we didn't follow the instruction in adding the 2 wire black and red connection but went directly to the relays. 4 relays in all. Our problem is we are lost with that the red wires coming out of the relays conects to.

Thanks,
Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11819
Victor,

Agree completely, I bouht a HID light kit and plan to run seperate B+ and grounds then use solid state relays to supply the B+ voltage to the ballasts.

Steve, N3FTI
Kutztown, PA
--

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11826
You can contact me at .
You may find just as much help here on this forum. Others can get the same info and add more info to the project.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 11827
You can reach me at . it may be better to ask your questions here on the forum. Others besides me can help with answers.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 11828
That because you are N3FTI

73 de KI6IM / V31DX / 8P9IW

Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:27 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] RE: Wink's dim headlight fix

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 11863
I just ordered: 165mm Crystal Projection Low Beam Headlight with 6 LEDs for H4656 to hopefully avoid a rewire project.

From Global Parts Inc. $151.98

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:26 PM

Hello Wink,

Thanks,
Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 11892
let us that are still in the dark know how these work out.

thanks

mark

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 8:36 AM

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 11893
Here is what I think he ordered http://www.gpartsinc.com/p-4827-one-165mm-crystal-projection-low-beam-headlight-with-6-leds-for-h4656.aspx

I don't think the led's are going to do much outside of cosmetic, they still use an halogen light bulb that the wiring can't handle

Sorry

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Yackley
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:14 AM

let us that are still in the dark know how these work out.

thanks

mark

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 8:36 AM

I just ordered: 165mm Crystal Projection Low Beam Headlight with 6 LEDs for H4656 to hopefully avoid a rewire project.

From Global Parts Inc. $151.98

To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:26 PM

Hello Wink,

Thanks,

Don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 11897
Mr. Hartzog is correct- I thought I was ordering an LED headlamp for lower amp draw- should have read the fine print....

I plugged it into the truck last night and it is brighter than the stock lamp. I plan to make the LED bulbs the driving lights and will install the new wiring relay circuit sometime in the future.

Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:21 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] RE: Wink's dim headlight fix