Skip to main content
Topic: Changing Tire Size (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing Tire Size

Yahoo Message Number: 12999
I have 225/70R19.5's on the Bigfoot. It was suggested by the previous owner that upsizing to 245's would likely increase stability, traction, etc. I asked a tire place here in town that does big truck tires and, while they weren't dead set against it, thought it would be better to stay with the 225's. They said speedometer would be out a little. What is the general consensus here? Do all 6 need to be the same, or can I put 4 245's on drive wheels and have 225's on steers? Thanks in advance.

Jim B.
2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST

Re: Changing Tire Size

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13002
I just changed from 225's to 245's and I believe it is a better ride, better ride height and looks better on my Fourwinds. Ron helped me with the info I needed.

You need to look at the tire spec sheet to make sure it will fit your wheels. Wheel width is listed on the door post. Mine said 6.75" wide, but turned out to be 7.5". The dual wheel center to center measurement was 11", measured from edge to edge on the tire tread. Your wheels should be similar.

I decided to join FMCA to get a great discount on Michalin XZE's with H load range.

Dan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13003
I have switched from 225 to 245's. Ride and handling are better. Speed o is off by about 2 mph at 60 mph. A MDT GM dealer can change the speed o if that bothers you. I have not changed mine. I put 245's on rear about 2 years before I put the 245's on the front. I should have done it when I did the rear's.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13006
Thanks for the replies. I'll double check the wheel spec's.​ The front's are both very new, while the drive tires are much older. Unless there's a hidden danger, I will probably just do the drive tires for now - I need to replace them anywho, so they will likely get 245's.