Skip to main content
Topic: 5300 mile road trip southwest florida to alaska (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

5300 mile road trip southwest florida to alaska

Yahoo Message Number: 13010
Just did the trip in my 05 gulfstream super c with a duramax, no big issues to speak of other then the amana convection microwave going out, did the trip pulling a 7500 lb trailor, speeds were 60 or a little less averaged a little under 10 gals per mile, have a banks six gun system but I'm not sure what effects that had, but pulled the trailor like it wasn't their. I'm ted by the way

Re: 5300 mile road trip southwest florida to alaska

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13011
Ted,
Welcome to the group. Are you camped in Seward, AK? If you are, I'm the guy you talked to last night.

If you have questions about a particular problem, you can also do a search. Maybe someone else can explain how, better than I can.

Dan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13012
Welcome Ted.
Sounds like you have a normal running Duramax with a tuner. I have a 60 hp tune on mine. Woke the engine up from the stock hp. Which model GS do you have?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13013
Ted, I've never heard of a Duramax that sucks as much fuel as yours. 10 gals per mile had you in real trouble finding enough gas stations every 8 miles. :)

10 miles per gallon on the other hand is 2.4 better than what I averaged with my 8.1 Kodiak gasser.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13014
I think we have an "intelligent posterior" in the crowd. LOL....

Dave

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13015
Allow me to lighten the Alaskan mood with a little gulf shores Alabama sunset image.jpeg

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 13016

Nah, not Don, he's just a regular ol smartass :-)

Take care,
Greg

Re: 5300 mile road trip southwest florida to alaska [1 Attachment]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13017
Lol Jim trust me no gulf coast sunset can replace the view I'm paying $15 a night for :) down south I'd pay about $ 150 a night lolo plus my house in floridas on the water :)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13019
What's the name of the campground in gulf shores - planning a trip there in October

Best,
Steve Phillips
VP of Sales
CLC/Custom LeatherCraft

Office 800.860.0331

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13020

Allow me to lighten the Alaskan mood with a little gulf shores Alabama sunset

If you like helicopters and get a chance, stop by Ft Rucker and check out the Army Aviation Museum.

Take care,
Greg

On Jun 13, 2014, at 7:12 PM, "Dave  [KodiakChassisClassC]"  wrote:

Dave

------
From "Don Leslie  [KodiakChassisClassC]"
Date: 06/13/2014 17:18 (GMT-05:00)
To KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] 5300 mile road trip southwest florida to alaska

Ted, I've never heard of a Duramax that sucks as much fuel as yours. 10 gals per mile had you in real trouble finding enough gas stations every 8 miles. :)

10 miles per gallon on the other hand is 2.4 better than what I averaged with my 8.1 Kodiak gasser.

Don

On Jun 13, 2014, at 1:50 PM,  [KodiakChassisClassC]  wrote:

Just did the trip in my 05 gulfstream super c with a duramax, no big issues to speak of other then the amana convection microwave going out, did the trip pulling a 7500 lb trailor, speeds were 60 or a little less averaged a little under 10 gals per mile, have a banks six gun system but I'm not sure what effects that had, but pulled the trailor like it wasn't their. I'm ted by the way

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 13021

I would like to know the name of the campground in gulf shores.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 13022
Sorry for the thread hi-jack...
We spent last week in Destin at Camp Gulf. Nice place very well run but a little tight. But direct gulf front beautiful beach and 2 good size pools. Then a few days in New Orleans at French quarter RV resort. Walking distance to bourbon st. Now finishing up at Pensacola beach RV resort on the bay across the street from gulf beach. Very very place to stay, walking distance to several waterfront restaurants

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 13023
Actually, I envious of 10 miles per gallon. You've never seen that in yours either Greg. :(

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 13025
With the 8.1 Vortec keeping it under 60 is not enough. You have to make sure you are always driving down hill as well. :)

Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 13026
Ya not to much to do about a big v8 gas wise, be interesting to see what milage I get without towing something

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 13027
My 35' Endura 6340 towing 4,000 lbs toad. Has averaged 10.3 over 70,000 miles. Not going to see much better without the toad. I stay at 60 to 63 mpg.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 13028
Good on ya', Ted - but why are you back so soon? Did same trip last summer - 06 Endura / TOAD, but with the gasser...yep, 6% downhill / tailwind / 45 mph / 200 miles might get you 10 mpg (once you get the TC locked up at 55, you can back it down to 45 without unlocking it). Noticed that 8.1 is happier with 89-90 octane, and without that alcohol crap added (BC/YT/AK) - actually got 9.5+ on a couple of fill-ups and, believe it or not, better than 6 between Tok and Dawson City (across the Top-of-the-World Highway). Am a little envious of the DURAMAX guys, but not greatly disappointed with gas - hope to put enough miles on it to wear out the 8.1 and replace it with a Cummins/Eaton Ultra-Shift (everyone can dream, can't they...) JTB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 13029
Absolutely, towing the 4000lb Vue, I get 7.5 most of the time and solo I can get it up to 8.5 if I stay at 55. I'm a 58 - 62 mph guy on the interstate anyway.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 13030
Greg, absolutely identical to our experience except we got 7.6. What I found interesting is that our previous coach was a 41 ft Ambassador with a Cummins ISC and we averaged 7.6 with it as well. Of course loaded and pulling a Tahoe we were over 34,000 lbs. Our MH prior to that had a CAT C7 and weighed a few thousand lbs less (Journey 39.5 ft) and it got 8.3 mpg.

Don

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 13031
after being around diesels all my life I have come to learn milage and fuel efficacy has a lot do to with the complete drive line, my rig I think the Allison plays a big factor in the milage, I have an old twin disc tranny in my trawler and I know I can increase my fuel efficiency greatly with an upgrade, but $30000 buys a lot of fuel

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 13032
Happy Fathers Day to everyone on this group! As usual this is my only source of great knowledge and experience pertaining to Kodiak and RV'ing. If I may, I would like to ask, my Onan generator shuts off by itself after running for about less than an hour with a minimum load, what should I check or replace before taking it for repair? Thank you

Alex Santos
Retired Soldier from El Paso, Tx

Alex Santos

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 13033
Generator could be an over heat issue check coolant or clogged fuel filter. After that consult someone who knows something more than that. Happy Fathers Day

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 13034
Alex,
Diesel or gas? There should be an error message stored by the genny if there was a malfunction. There is a pdf for a 5.5 diesel service manual in the files section which has the procedure for pulling the code along with meaning for each code. There is also a troubleshooting section.
Greg Thompson
'05 6340 Endura Duramax
MN

If I may, I would like to ask, my Onan generator shuts off by itself after running for about less than an hour with a minimum load, what should I check or replace before taking it for repair? Thank you😃

Alex Santos

Retired Soldier from El Paso, Tx

Alex Santos