Skip to main content
Topic: Tire pressures (Read 1344 times) previous topic - next topic

Tire pressures

Yahoo Message Number: 68
When we got our Jayco Greyhawk in May I looked at the rear duals and
again scratched my head. I still do not understand why they have the
outer valve stem facing inwards. This drives me nuts.

Motorhome owners rarely rotate tires unless wear is unusual. Even then
it may be a case of front right being swapped with the front left and
same with the rears. Otherwise, tires have to be removed from rims.

I find the two headed tire gauge a PITA to use. I also have a digital
gauge that I much prefer to use. My two headed gauge is part of my
compressor and attaches to the hose for filling. Our Ambassador had the
steal hose extensions and they were mounted so one could check pressures
with a regular gauge.

For some time I've wondered about getting the Crossfire system
http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/index.shtml

Does anyone in this group have the Crossfires on know of anyone who does
and their experience? I like the idea of the equalization while
inflating and the fact that the air to a tire that deflates suddenly is
cut off so they both won't deflate. Also like to be able to see the
inflation level at a glance. A sensor system with a readout in the cab
would be better I guess - but they are much more expensive. Our MH
prior to our 06 Ambassador 40PLQ was a 39W Winnie Journey. The Winnie
had Michelin XRV tires that simply would not hold air. That is when I
started thinking about the Crossfires but when we found the problems
just kept on coming we dumped it on the Ambassador. The Ambassador had
GY tires and we found them to be perfect (Michelin has an excellent
reputation and we've never had problems with any other Michelin tires
but the XRVs were lemons and the problems with blowouts legion on the
forums).

What got me thinking about this was an article I saw while tracking
down something else on the web. These wheel mounted tire gauges also
look interesting.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/08/22/059308.html
http://www.tirogage.com/

The nuisance here is putting one on the outer dual that faces inwards.
Only answer is to get a 180 deg U extension (or a 135 deg would do).

Anyone done anything with their rear duals and added Crossfires,
monitors, etc?

Don

Re: Tire pressures

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 73
I have a set of 135 degree extensions you can have. The one on
passenger side would never stay in position. Had to rotate original
stem around to extension on. Did this by loosing nut that holds stem
in place. Did not loose any air. The 180 degree extensions would also
require rotating stems.
I saw another Kodiak owner complain about loosing air in the outside
tires of his Aluminum wheels. No one came up with a fix though.
I plan on getting a pressure pro monitor in the near future.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 74
I've been using the dual head stick gauge for some time now and don't find it difficult.  I believe some dual head air gauges and chucks can have a different angle on the one slanted backwards.  Perhaps you could check and find one with a better angle for your use.  Also, I've read too many horror stories about braided stainless steel valve extenders causing leaks that result in a blow out.

I'm considering the Tire Sentry monitoring system (http://www.tiresentry.com/) for our Jayco.  I like this system because the replacement sensor batteries are inexpensive and available at most any local retail store.  I'm looking to see if their round display monitor will fit into the existing, unused hole in the Seneca's dashboard switch bank adjacent to the transmission temp gauge.

Paul

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 76

Don ~
had the same problem and installed angled metal valve stem adapters that make "airing up" a breeze. However, the best upgrade I made was having CW install the SmarTire monitoring system.
http://www.smartire.com/rv/warnings
To me, nothing is more important on the coach that having good tires properly inflated, since you are literally betting your family's life on those tires. The system continually monitors the pressure and temperature of all six tires (and the toad, if you have one) and has a small graphic display that I had mounted in a recess in the Seneca's dash. It has already saved my bacon twice and always knowing the state of my tires is worth every penny.
Cockpit Dash SmarTire monitor. JPG

Craig

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 79
Our dual head works OK, I just find it a PITA (taking the valve cap off the rear facing unit drives me nuts). I much prefer my digital pressure gauge as well.

I've seen a lot of comments about the braided stainless steel units but never from anyone who had the problem themselves. We had the solid extensions on our Journey 39W and they were likely part of the problem (they seem to corrode very easily if near salt and Winnie delivered ours in winter and the undercarriage was a mess - our next two were delivered well after the risk of snow had past). When I bought new extensions for the Journey it solved some of the problems. Our Ambassador had the braided units and they worked fine for the 21 months we had it - very pleased with them.

I'm going to try to get more price info on the Crossfires as they appeal to me for a couple of reasons. First, one can see the pressure level by the color code. Second, you inflate both rear tires at the same time. Third, it equalizes the pressure between the two tires and cuts off any air transfer when one tire starts to lose air rapidly. A friend has them on his Winnie Ultimate Advantage and he has been very happy. I'm going to have to find a place in Michigan that will install them as prices here in Canada - even with our dollar at virtually a buck US, are still out of line.

I may let much of the air out of the outside tires and turn the valves and reinflate. That will solve that problem.

What started me on this is an automatic system advertised in our local paper for 4 tires and the monitoring unit - $100. Looked at it (for my wife's car but wondered about the MH) and thought "not bad" and then got into all of the alternatives. For her Equinox I currently have the valve caps that are black and turn red if the pressure drops much below the 32 psi that should be in her tires. I ask her to walk around her car everyday and check the color of each cap. Ha ha ha. If I didn't look at them they'd be a waste of money. The system in the paper this morning was only good to 87 psi.

I have the sensors in my Tahoe and find them very good. Precise pressure is provided for each tire (metric or imperial measure) and it is interesting to see the change when they warm up on the highway. The pressures get reported each month via an OnStar report. I get a chuckle out of the pressures as the left side tires are always a pound or two over the rght side - solely because they read the pressures at about 10 AM and the left side is in the sun and the right side in the shade. At 4 pm the pressures are reversed. I think the pressure monitoring system has to be standard on most passenger vehicles by law in the US for 2008 or not later than 2009. Hopefully all MHs will soon come with them (but they won't if the law doesn't apply to them).

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 80
Don: You will not need to let air out of tires to turn stems. Just
loosen lock nut and rotate to new location. Then lock nut back down.
When I rotated mine, found pressure was harder to check than when in
original position. They mount and inflate all wheel & tire assemblies
on the Kodiak the same. Valve stems on you front tire and rear wheel
assemblies is in the same position. Rear is in same position, but with
a 6" extension.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 81
I'll turn them tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for reminding me. I meant to make sure the extensions are tight - no air loss yet so I assume they will be OK. I wonder if the extensions were put on by the MH builder or GM?

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 82
Inside rear tire extensions are installed by GM.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 91
You weren't kidding. Turn them and that makes it impossible to check them. Going to have to think about the stainless steel 135 degree and 180 degree extensions. Looking at the space I've got to work with I'm not too sure they will fit properly. May have to just continue using my two headed unit (which attaches to the compressor for filling as well).