Skip to main content
Topic: Fiberglass Roof Hairline Cracks (Read 1077 times) previous topic - next topic

Fiberglass Roof Hairline Cracks

Yahoo Message Number: 13876
While inspecting the roof of my '06 Jayco Seneca I noticed several very small hairline gel coat cracks where the along the sides of the roof where it is radiused. These very small cracks have just started to appear and no water has entered the coach. At this point I don't think they go thru the roof membrane. Again they run the length of the roof any only appear at the radius. I was thinking this would be a good application of 'Eternabond" tape. 4" wide by the length of the roof would cover all the cracks.
Has anyone else ever noticed these cracks on their fiberglass roof?

Re: Fiberglass Roof Hairline Cracks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13877
You need to seal those cracks. A roof sealer may be better than tape.
Best
Ron Hall

Yellowstone

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13878
Okay, I know some of you guys have been to Yellowstone so I'm looking
for some info.

We're looking at being there mid May of this next year and possibly
staying at Fishing Bridge RV park inside the NP. That means coming in
from Cody on the east. I've checked the maps and it just tells me >6%
grade, but little else. I looked at Google Earth using ground view and
the road looks decent enough.

So, from experience...what do you have to offer? We haven't made
reservations yet, but the 40+ ft sites are full already. There are
plenty of 35 ft sites available and that would fit my Jayco 32SS

Suggestions welcome.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Yellowstone

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13879
Look into the Yellowstone institute. Great class that will take you off track and into parts of Yellowstone most people never see

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13880
I have that too and have been watching but right now I think it is just the paint that is cracking. I guess I better take a closer look.

mark
06 Seneca 34ss
--

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13881
I have some in the top of the back cap. But looks like only in the paint will check closer.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 13882
Stayed at Fishing Bridge Campground in '13. Not all spots are level so be prepared. We also entered from Cody, as I recall the road was not particularly steep or bad. Drove it in a Sneca 35GS. Only mistake we made was not to stay in Cody longer. Lot's to see and do in Cody, plan on one or two days.

Shocks or no shocks

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13891
I should have paid attention over the years to the various shock discussions, but of course I didn't since I didn't need the. I'm not sure I do yet quite honestly, but they are 7 yrs old with 45,000 miles on them.

I don't white knuckle drive, but it does rock like crazy when I go in and out of driveways, etc. no problem with trucks passing, etc. It just seems they're softer than they were when I'm on the roof walking around or in and out when the jacks aren't down.

So, what is your deciding factor when to replace them? I know the rear end is a tad lower than it used to be, but that's probably the springs aging too. I'm still comfortable driving it, but with a 5000 mile trip coming up in May to Yellowstone and Denver....I'm trying to think ahead. I did the tires last year.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Shocks or no shocks

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 13892
I put Koni's on shortly after we bought ours. Made a noticeable difference in the ride. Not cheap, but definitely quality.

Dave

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13893
I had the original factory shocks that were nine years old. I upgraded to Koni's after I got new tires which were a load range higher.  I thought that made the ride a little stiffer and I had the same rock and roll leaving driveways etc. Lastly, like you I did not feel like I was white knuckling on the interstates.

I did both the Koni's and the Firestone air bags. The ride changed dramatically. It is much less harsh, not near as trucky. In addition the front shocks were shot as they had about 5 inches of dead spot clearly not absorbing anything. Prior to the change the rig was very stable at 60-65. After the change I find myself not paying attention to speed and creeping closer to the 70 number. I have not had it in big wind so I do not know if the shocks will impact that.

Cost is a consideration between Koni's and Bilsteins. I was going to do the Bilsteins but they were on back order when I got ready to change them so I got the Koni's. I am glad that I did

I ordered them from Koni. Apparently the front shocks are the same on all rigs, but the back ones can be different. Mine were eye to eye.

http://www.konirv.com/nextstep.cfm?Model=77&as_sfid=AAAAAAXCdEFQX4rIGBO4FeTpHtTea1S%2F8G6bUyGybuHPBaX3udB5gM%2B8RFIR42iHf4Xe33VJF5Wog0iiy46uEY1rThi5pHdQ0EdcVaMF%2FHsbvBMiBg%3D%3D&as_fid=zRBHTuoiz%2FnXyAgpHLMz

Good luck Doug Brothers
2005 Gulfstream Endura 6340

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13894
Thanks for the input Doug. I should know if my rears are pins or eyes, but I'll have to go over to the storage place and look since I can't remember. There is an authorized Cummins place about 50 miles up the road who is an installer for them.

Where did you get your air bags?

I think Ron mentioned a place for shocks recently but I didn't find it when I did a quick search. I need to do some serious decision stuff because I don't want to replace the shocks if they're really not bad.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 13895
I put koni's on mine (2005 Gulf Stream 6316). From my research, at least what I remember, the koni's work on the rebound stroke and the bilstiens work on the compression stroke. I really don't know why one works better than the other. I choose koni's over the others mostly because of the groups discussion. I also put super springs on my pathetic weak 13k stock springs. Between the two upgrades I noticed a big difference. Mine still rocks some leaving driveways, but it's much better. I think my next move is a stabilizer bar front and rear. But I'm happy with my ride overall. The stabilizer bars are just on the wish list.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 13897
I got my shocks at eshocks.com. Cummins Coach Care also sells and installs them.
OEM shocks were never any good. I have a set laying in a bucket in the barn. Move in and out with no resistance. They have 7000 miles on them.
Good Morning All.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 13898
Happy New Year All.  Greg I got he Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags from Truckspring.com. Costs was approximately 350. Here is the link. Good luck

http://www.truckspring.com/Search.aspx?p=Suspension-Parts%2fManufacturer%3aFirestone%2fAir-Springs-Kits%2fMake%3aChevrolet%2fYear%3a2005%2fFirestone-Ride-Rite&a=Model%3aC5500-Kodiak

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14016
If you have toad, get over the Bear Tooth Pass / Chief Joseph highway to Red Lodge Mt. Great drive from Cody over there. Red Lodge not much there but 17 bars. Great little towns all over and place to go, fish, eat, etc. Fishtail, Nye etc etc

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:23 PM, "Russ Hill russclaudia@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote: