Skip to main content
Topic: Air Bags ,brand make a difference? (Read 3664 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Bags ,brand make a difference?

Yahoo Message Number: 13916
I've read the comments on the shocks, Koni vs Bilstein, still haven't decided on which one.

Not comments on the air bags. Firestone or Air Lift? Also which compressor? Light or Heavy Duty?

Are the shocks and air bags owner installable or best left to professionals?

Thanks for the input.

Gary

Re: Air Bags ,brand make a difference?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13917
Bilstein shocks were on back order last spring summer and fall. I hope they have solved that issue by now but check to make sure they are actually available. I choose the Koni's based upon the comments on this site along with the Firestone air bags. I did not do a compressor as the air bags are simple and easy to fill, a portable compressor will fill them.

Again, I did not think that my rig drove and rode bad prior to these upgrades. The upgrades made a significant difference and improved the ride dramatically.  I had them installed. However, with minimal mechanical experience one could do them provided one had the appropriate jacks and air wrenches.

Doug Brothers
2005 6340 Gulf stream Endura

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13918
I installed both the shocks and air bags. Simple enough if you have any mechanical knowledge,
One other company makes air bags. Pacbrake.
I have original air compressor from GM on my MH. But if I was to buy one it would be a Viar.
Viair 35030 350C Air Compressor Kit

Also would use the their pressure switch and tanks.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13919

Koni. Airbags only if needed and you have a Jayco they built on the lite duty springs.
The shocks are a bit od effort and dangerous. Airbags are easier. You can just use a portable compressor on the bags? Use seperate systems left and right though or you will cause roll issues OR install chalk valve like I did on the Embark.
~
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13922
Based on what I have read in this group, I ordered a set of Firestone air bags, due to arrive before the end of the week, 1-9-15. I plan to install them myself. I went with the Bilsteins and installed them myself without any problems. I have a 36' Seneca and the new shocks made a big difference. There is still some roll at driveway entrances and intersections which makes my wife a little uneasy and I hope the air bags will be item that makes her feel more secure when riding.

Russ Miles

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13924
Effort and Dangerous ?? I have Koni's on order, well BACK order from KONI.com about 5 - 8 weeks out they say..
But when they do arrive I was planning on putting them in myself...
any gotcha's ??
Thanks
Bruce

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 13925
Front right top nut is hard to do. Need to hold shaft from top to keep shock from turning.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13926

I'mcuriousIhaveaSeneca 2008 36MS withKonisandIwaslookingatsomeadditionaloptionsandairbagswasonethem. However, im sure theairbagswilltakecareoftherollingfeelingaroundcornersanddrivewaysbutwillitmakeitastifferride?
Letme know,
Tim

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 13927
I have not noticed a stiffer ride with the air bags.  I will say they do not do much for the rolling in corners and driveways.  I am planning on doing supersprings on mine

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13928
I put air bags on 08 senaca gs then supersprings. They had to take air bags off to do supersprings and said could not put airbags on after supersprings installed. Bolts not long enough. I like ride of supersprings and koni shocks. Just wanted to lift rear end some with air bags.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13929
We have a 2007 Seneca 34 SS which we bought used in 2010 with low miles.  Had a scary ride home from New Jersey to Albany, NY.  The rig was all over the road and at times felt like it was out of control at 65 on the highway.  That’s when I started investigating for fixes.  I believe it was on this fine forum that I discovered Henderson’s Line Up Shop in Washington State.   I spoke with John on the phone and he recommended two modifications we could make to help with the tail wag and uneasy feeling of not being in control of the steering at certain moments.  http://www.hendersonslineup.com/  I remember reading somewhere that the only thing that attempts to control rear body sway is the spring shackles and rear sway bar…. and on the Seneca’s that’s not enough.  The motor home just rocks around left to right.  Solution was to buy and install  SuperSteer Trac Bar for Kodiak 4500-5500 Chassis with 26,000 lb. SuperSteer Trac Bars positively locate the rear axle to improve handling and stability. Easy bolt-in installation with no drilling or welding requiredGVW     http://www.supersteerparts.com/products/supersteer-trac-bar-kodiak-4500-5500-26k-gvw-heavy-duty-rear-end.html  The rear axle is now tied to the truck frame with the track bar in place.   The track bar totally solved the tail wag when tractor trailers were passing on the interstates and took away most of the rocking moving through driveways.  John’s second recommendation was to install a Safe-T-Plus Steering Control  - The Safe-T-Plus is a mechanically assisted, positive-centering steering control device engineered to maintain straight-ahead steering, even when encountering side winds, a blowout, pavement drops, road ruts and other hazards. http://www.supersteerparts.com/products/safe-t-plus-steering-control-ford-f53-c4500-c5500-kodiak.html  The Safe-T-Plus totally tightened up the steering control on our Seneca.  Two finger driving is now possible….no more white knuckles.  In 2011 we invested in a set of Koni shocks…….another major improvement in ride and control was experienced.  Now maybe you already have these modifications so forgive me for being so long winded.  Just wanted to try and help as this great group has helped me so many times.  Happy New Year,  Bobby     

TPMS

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 13931
I'm thinking of putting a TPMS system on the motorhome and got an ad
from RV Wholesalers with a price for the 507RV TST system that seems
like a good deal. I haven't seen it any cheaper anywhere with the flow
thru sensors and includes 6 of them.

Anybody want to weigh in on their experience with these?

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=18372&cat=0&page=1

Thanks,
Greg

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 13932
I like these two ideas. I guess you did the track bar first and then went with the steering control? they look easy enough to install. Did you do them yourself?

I'm assuming that lifting the rig with the levelers does not affect the track bar?

TJ Kennedy | Sr. Account Executive Sales | White-Rodgers
Emerson Climate Technologies | 8100 West Florissant Ave. | St. Louis, MO 63136
 T 615-904-6145
C 972-977-4112

How are we doing |White-Rodgers Feedback

Follow us | Facebook| YouTube | Twitter | WRMobile

Re: TPMS

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 13934
Purchased my TST system in 2007. The price you posted was good then.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 13935
I thought it sounded good. Do the sensors stick out a long ways fr=
om your front wheel covers? With the valve stem right at the edge of the co=
ver, I wonder if they'll stick way out

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 13936
When I had new stems put in I had them install a length that just cleared the hole in aluminum wheel. TST sensor sticks out about 1 1/4", My sensor will fit in the hole but cannot get tool needed to install sensor out.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 13937
Do you have the flow thru sensors? My stems end right at the hole, so it sounds like I'll have the same situation.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 13938
I do not have the flow thru sensors. I believe flow thru will be longer.
Best
Ron Hall

Koni - eye to eye, pin to pin

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 13942
Okay, I know this sounds stupid, but I remember there being confusion in the past during some shock discussion. So, here is what my rig looks like in the back. I assume this is an "eye to eye" setup.

I don't want to pull the trigger on the wrong ones.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Koni - eye to eye, pin to pin

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 13943
Yes, that is eye-to-eye style. Pin would have a stud sticking straight up parallel with the shock, and a nut on top.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 13945
Terry Pehrson - 38Chevy454  [SuperCrvgroup] wrote:

Yes, that is eye-to-eye style. Pin would have a stud sticking straight
up parallel with the shock, and a nut on top.

Good, that's what I thought, but I remembered someone getting confused
by whether they referred to the actual mount points or the ends of the
shocks.

I guess I'll get an order in while they're in stock.

Thanks,
Greg

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 13968
TJWe actually installed the trac bar and steering damper at the same time.  I did install myself.  The bracket that attaches the trac bar to the truck frame used factory holes in the frame for mounting, so no drilling required.  I see they now have provided a special bracket that attaches to the frame without drilling……different than the one I used. 

Here’s a link to install instructions. http://www.supersteerparts.com/SS500__Installation_Instructions_FINAL_Nov2011.pdf  Probably the most difficult step was re-torqueing all of the attaching bolts and nuts only because the Seneca was on the ground with clearance at a minimum.  I should also mention that our 2007 34SS already had the 26,000 lb rear spring upgrade before we purchased it.    No problem using the levelers with trac bar.    

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 13970
Good luck ( with in stock )..
I ordered right at the end of Dec. and got an email that they were backordered and wouldn't be shipped for 5 - 8 weeks...

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 13972

Good luck ( with in stock )..

I ordered right at the end of Dec. and got an email that they were
backordered and wouldn't be shipped for 5 - 8 weeks...

Well that's discouraging :-( I'll know today I guess when I place the
order. I had been online over the weekend and everything was listed as
"in stock" on the Koni site. They seem to be as cheap as anywhere else I
looked.

If there is another source, feel free to share!

Take care,
Greg