Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak Windshield replacement (Read 478 times) previous topic - next topic

Kodiak Windshield replacement

Yahoo Message Number: 1066
Okay today was the big day for the windshield replacement and it was a non-event :-)

They glass guy is an RV'er so we've had a couple of good discussions anyway and he was anxious for this to go well.

The interesting part is our windshield is exactly the same piece of glass as the full sized Chevy van window, but with a different stock number. The only difference is the van windshield comes with the rearview mirror bracket already glued to the glass. Danny said he figured most commercial applications for the chassis don't have rearview mirrors so that was the difference.

The job went very well. He took the old glass out by himself with relative ease. For your information though, they use locktite on the windshield wiper arms to the splined shaft and that was a bear to get off. He had to use a modified gear puller to pop them off and one of them required a special solvent he had. I don't know why they'd do that since the shaft is splined and there's a nut over the shaft too.

The other interesting thing was he said it didn't appear Chevy uses any sort of primer before putting the sealer on the metal body. He cleaned all the sealer off and said it was just the paint beneath it. He did the primer and then the sealer strip. His helper showed up and they set the glass perfectly the first time. You could tell they were very happy the
way it went on which made me feel good. They did a neat job and took care not to mess up the leather seats when they were working inside.

That may be the turn of luck for me.....at least that's what I'm hoping :-)

Take care,
Greg