Skip to main content
Topic: towing weight restrictions for super c (Read 2232 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: towing weight restrictions for super c

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 14063
If you are looking for a MH with a higher towing rating you might look at the Dynamax.
We have a 2008 36 XL and it has a 15,000 lb towing rating and can be changed up to 20,000 lb
with only changing the hitch. All the new ones come with the 20,000 lb hitch.
Gene

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 14064

There is a hallmark on an m2 Business Class chassis available in Yucca Valley. And there was a guy up north then had a embark non bunk bed model think you could probably get for $90k
They both have 20000 pound towing capacity which is why I purchase one
~
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Date:Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Subject:Re: [SuperCrvgroup] towing weight restrictions for super c

If you are looking for a MH with a higher towing rating you might look at the Dynamax.
We have a 2008 36 XL and it has a 15,000 lb towing rating and can be changed up to 20,000 lb
with only changing the hitch. All the new ones come with the 20,000 lb hitch.
Gene

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 14065
Thanks but all those that I have looked at have been out of my price range.

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 14066
That is why I bought a a Dutchmen with 6500# of legitimate tow cap originally.

I moved up to the Embark for safety overhead - fully loaded I am 8,000# under gross on the coach and can still carry 20,000# behind me.

The $90Kused Embark is a great option and I am not sure why someone would select so many alternate coaches over this one? Cummins ISC, Allison 3200 that coach will go forever. Its the real deal and performance kills anything else.

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:40 PM, "Alice Smith alicefsmith1943@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 14067
As I explained earlier, when I bought my Kodiak gasser

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 14069
Cost and depth of market for rigs with higher tow ratings. Look at the big 40' DP that are just not built to tow anything more than a Saturn...

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:35 AM, "Don Leslie grandriver125@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 14070
Our 41 ft DP with an ISC could handle 10,000 lbs with ease and that was with

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 14088
Well I can tell you I searched for an eternity, I have all the brochures etc etc etc. I bought the Dutchmen Diesel s it was the best of the bunch at 19500 / 26000 chassis. While I am sure it would pull more, that is not the point. Will the trailer maybe shake me like and insignificant fleck of sand out of a beach towel? Will my insurance payout if/when I am in an accident and I am overloaded? PRobably not these days and I have heard of many stories of denial of coverage for exactly that reason.

As far as buying a older Class A? There are just a couple of them that have good tow capacity - most do not at maybe 5,000 #s. You can snag older Fleetwood Revolution 40' that has 15,000 tow capacity. and these are a bargain. I looked at tag axle Country Coaches that were only 5,000# to capacity. Big American Revolutions are only 10K #

A good smaller one is a older Beaver Patriot. Very well made and I am pretty sure they are 10K # legit. Super well made coach with all open, obvious discrete wiring so working on it is a snap. These will be in your budget range too.

Keep in mind that if you have a 8,000# trailer you will add another 800-1600# of weight on the ball of the motorhome - you need to add that to your weight against your coach GVWR. So lets say you 19,500# chassis with no water and all your stuff weights in at

The reality is nearly all motorhomes are made to be just that, motorhomes and not tow vehicles. If you really need a tow vehicle you need to look elsewhere OR look at a select few models that sound like they are out of your price range. Again they are so expensive they made few and not very mainstream. Nearly all of these coaches rund at GVWR or OVER!!! when loaded up with your stuff, fuel etc. I looked at the Berkshire bunkhouse - loved the coach, layout etc. Full pass through storage etc. But guess what? they claim a ligitimate 10,0000# Tow capacity BUT THERE IS ONLY 700# of CARGO CAPACITY. Come on my basic crap, wife, kids and cat weigh more than that, not mention the entire underbelly of the coach would still be empty and you cannot put any weight in it. THAT IS JUST STUPID!!!

Now add the Berkshire a 10,000# trailer that you really want/need 1500#s of tongue weight on you are WAY OVER OVER OVER GROSS. Its just crappy misleading advertising.

I think you need to try another Thor like you had. My Thor was great, with virtually zero problems wtih the "Thor" part of the coach.

Keep in mind too that if you are having a hard time with your budget these more complex coaches and chassis can be expensive to maintain and repair. Its nothing to drop $5,000-10,000 on some issue(s) Or if you lose a special rear engine radiator, transmission, or the engine you are looking at many tens of thousand dollars in repairs.

Back the the Embark - I am 8,000 under GVWR and 28,000 under GCWR. That is why I picked one of the few that gives me the warm fuzzies on a huge safety factor over anything else I looked at that was just a motorhome. The ISC and Allison 3200 will run forever and I do not even know I have a 10,000 trailer behind me unless I see it in the rear view camera. The 1100 ft/#s of torque really do their job.

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:27 PM, "Alice Smith alicefsmith1943@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 14098

The negative for me concerning the Embark was the lack of an overhead bunk. A family of seven pretty much made it a key element. In my case the need to tow is limited to a toad, but the lack of an extra queen size be would be a deal killer.

Roger

Reply #34
Yahoo Message Number: 14099

Not to mention the Dynamax is the seneca on a heavier chassis, but alas $50k sticker difference. Yes there are a few interior upgrades on countertops, etc, but without a need to tow the cost mentioned by Victor is considerable.

Roger