Skip to main content
Topic: Cargo door gas springs (Read 1100 times) previous topic - next topic

Cargo door gas springs

Yahoo Message Number: 14056
Hi everybody....
My cargo doors under the slides open upwards to a 90 degree angle. This allows the slide to extend without hitting the door. I'm looking for some gas springs that have a second stage to them, that will allow me to manually open door all the way up when the slide is closed. I have found stabilus (interstop) gas springs that do that but i can't buy any without a part number.
So I'm looking for a manufacturer of MH's that uses them or somebody that has them on their coach.
Any info will be appreciated.

Re: Cargo door gas springs

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14057
Larry,

My new Renegade uses Stabilus gas springs for the storage doors. The storage doors under the slides are the "Inter-Stop" model. The part number is 5769B5 0250N 141/14 A 8. I'm pretty sure you'd need to know the full extension length and the compressed length to insure the door would close completely and open all the way. You may also need to know the length at the 90 degree point.

Hope this helps.

Rick

On Monday, January 26, 2015 2:01 PM, "larry@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14062
Rick ,               Thank you so much, that helps. I have a gut feeling they will work. Ill check into it some more now that I have a part number.Larry  From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 12:22 PMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Cargo door gas springs    Larry,  My new Renegade uses Stabilus gas springs for the storage doors.  The storage doors under the slides are the "Inter-Stop" model.  The part number is 5769B5 0250N 141/14 A 8.  I'm pretty sure you'd need to know the full extension length and the compressed length to insure the door would close completely and open all the way.  You may also need to know the length at the 90 degree point.  Hope this helps.  Rick  On Monday, January 26, 2015 2:01 PM, "larry@... [SuperCrvgroup]" <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:    Hi everybody....My cargo doors under the slides open upwards to a 90 degree angle. This allows the slide to extend without hitting the door. I'm looking for some gas springs that have a second stage to them, that will allow me to manually open door all the way up when the slide is closed. I have found stabilus (interstop) gas springs that do that but i can't buy any without a part number. So I'm looking for a manufacturer of MH's that uses them or somebody that has them on their coach.Any info will be appreciated.  

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14191
I orders some gas springs from Amy at renegade. They work great thank you again

Larry Payne  ⛳

Front wheel cover removal, Jayco 32ss

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14214
I haven't gone over to pull the coach out of storage, but was just looking thru the manuals here at the house and don't see anything about the front wheel covers. Anyone remember how they come off? Are two of the fake lug nuts threaded onto the ends of studs?

I'm going to install a TST TPMS and I think the flow thru sensors will go on the fronts okay if I pull the wheel covers, install them and then reinstall the covers. I'm just trying to remember how the covers are removed as I sit and watch the rain.

Also, I think the wheels are torqued to 400 ft/lbs if I recall. I need to tell the truck place the right number so they can do that.

Hopefully tomorrow I can bring it to the house for some de-winterizing and minor repair work before it goes in to have the new Konis put on. With HOA rules, I have to work in 48 hr marathon sessions before it goes back to storage for a period of time. The list of fun isn't too bad:
Replace bathroom faucet
Caulk shower
De-winterize
Sanitize tanks
Replace small slide cover
Oil and filters
TPMS install
General outside maintenance

It won't all get done the first session, but it's time to get busy before we head west in May.

Take care,
Greg

__

Re: Front wheel cover removal, Jayco 32ss

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14215
Yes, two threaded lug nut covers is how my Supernova wheel covers are held on. Look carefully and the two will be 180 degrees apart. They thread onto the end of the stud sticking out of the lug nut. Should not be super tight, but you probably need a large socket or wrench to loosen them. No idea on torque for your wheels. TPMS sensors may or may not fit, they can be tight, or need shorter valve stems to enable them to fit.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14217

Can't remember what you have, but if it's a SENECA they all come off.

Mine isn't the Seneca, but they all come off. It quit raining long enough for me to run over to the storage place and look. They all come off with a 26mm socket hand tightened.

The downside is it won't solve my problem for the sensors. I don't know what I was thinking, the holes are in the aluminum wheels that the sensors need to go thru. It almost fits, but not quite. If they were exactly centered in the hole, it would work.

I'm going to have to look for some 1" extensions.

Thanks,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14218
Greg, they just fall off if you leave them in the sun for several days. :) You may recall how one of mine shriveled up and fell off after a couple of weeks in the sun. Jayco replaced them no charge. I seem to recall that they did not come with the cut away chassis from GM. They were made in China and purchased by Jayco.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14219
You are correct the Alcoa's and TPMS sensors equal a very tight fit or they don't fit at all on the front rims. The valve stem fits thru a very small hole on the Alcoa's. Be careful of extensions as they are just another source of a air leak. I just bit the bullet and installed longer metal valve stems on the front of my Seneca 35GS and no problem.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14220
Russ Hill wrote:

You are correct the Alcoa's and TPMS sensors equal a very tight fit or they don't fit at all on the front rims.

Yup, very disappointing.

Be careful of extensions as they are just another source of a air leak.

Been down that road before too. Came out one morning to find a flat tire because an extension was loose.

I just bit the bullet and installed longer metal valve stems on the front of my Seneca 35GS and no problem.

This is party what pisses me off. When I had new tires put on a year ago, they left the front valve stems so they were short enough I couldn't even check the tire pressures. I had to put an extension on and the shortest I could get at Camping World were 2" and that's too long for the TPMS sensors. The local auto parts place has 1 1/4" but they aren't suitable for truck tires. The alternative is to have the tires broken from the rims and longer stems put on and that should have been done when they mounted the tires to begin with.

It gets very frustrating. This place is the place Camping World and other local dealers send units to for chassis stuff. They are primarily a commercial truck service company so they should know better, but here I am...... And they're the best place around by all accounts. :-/

Take care,
Greg

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14221
Ditto on ditching ALL valve extensions. I got some Borg stems the right size for the Kodiak, and had them installed, $20 per tire, half a day, WELL worth it. The tire outfit that installed my new Michelins did not even change the rubber gaskets in the old stems. I have been plagued with leaks all around until I got new stems.

So, back to the OP, if it's a Seneca with the Kodiak chassis, my Bigfoot has Alcoa wheels and plastic simulators, and there is no problem with TPMS clearance (non-pass-thru).

JimB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14222
Don said,

Greg, they just fall off if you leave them in the sun for several days. :) You may recall how one of mine shriveled up and fell off after a couple of weeks in the sun.

Yeah, I remember that :-) I've been waiting for kind to do that ever since!

Jayco replaced them no charge. I seem to recall that they did not come with the cut away chassis from GM. They were made in China and purchased by Jayco.

Made in China? Certainly not.......you know everything is made by the Amish in Indiana :-) Trust me...........

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 14223
Jim B said,

Ditto on ditching ALL valve extensions.

In a perfect world, that would be the case.

I got some Borg stems the right size for the Kodiak, and had them installed, $20 per tire, half a day, WELL worth it. The tire outfit that installed my new Michelins did not even change the rubber gaskets in the old stems. I have been plagued with leaks all around until I got new stems.

Mine is a similar story and the place that did my tires didn't change anything when they did the tires. I took it back because of leaks and they charged me another $50 that only fixed part of the problem. I've talked to them and supposedly they're going to make this right, but I won't hold my breath.

TST TPMS

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14225
Just a quick update on my install. Half nightmare and half perfect, none of which is TST's fault. The inside duals worked perfectly the minute I screwed them on. The outside duals had a stem facing a direction that wouldn't work and rotating it didn't get any better because of its angle. A 150 degree extension got it pointed the right direction, but if it's screwed down tight enough to keep it from moving, the air won't pass thru. It works fine with the sensor if it's loose enough to rotate, but then there is a slow leak. One front wheel was fine, the stem lined up perfectly in the hole of the Alcoa wheel and the flow thru sensor screwed right on and was the perfect length. The other front was offset just enough to keep the sensor from fitting so an extension was used. That was the same problem as the rears.

I dropped the coach off today and explained and showed the tech the problem so he could get new valve stems to do what I want without extensions. Hopefully they get it right. They're good mechanics, but sometimes I wonder about their tire guy.

It's in getting the new Koni shocks installed and the wheels needed a re-torque anyway.

Take care,
Greg