Skip to main content
Topic: gulf stream super nova (Read 1027 times) previous topic - next topic

gulf stream super nova

Yahoo Message Number: 14133
Now I am looking at a super nova 2008 gulf stream. I spoke with the manufacturer and he sent me the info necessary to arrive at their tow limit. It is about 7100 lbs, with a 15000 lb hitch. I could get buy with this, anyone have any info on the super nova they would like to share I would appreciate it.

Re: gulf stream super nova

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14136
OK, here is one I can comment on. I have a Supernova, although mine is the shorter 34 ft version, not the longer one in case that is what you are looking at. Mine has 26000 GVWR, not sure what the GCWR is however. Std weight of MH alone is a bit over 19000, so that leaves ~7000 for stuff, people, fuel and water. Mine, and I believe all Supernovas, are built on the IH 4200 chassis. This chassis is used for a lot of medium duty trucks and buses. It has 22.5 wheels and tires. It is considered a Class 6 chassis.

The engine is a 300 hp 6.0L V8, not sure the torque rating. IH calls it the VT365, but it is very similar to the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke. Ford bought the 6.0 from IH, but some slight differences for use in the pickups. Trans is 5 speed Allison 2500. I tow a car trailer with a car on it, probably about max 6000 lbs total. It does pretty good, although I would like more power. I subscribe to the more is better theory of power though. I have towed over I-70 in CO, over Rabbit Ear pass in CO, and some other less strenuous mountain passes like Raton pass on I-25. Just let it downshift and keep my foot in it. Never gets hot engine or trans. Over some of the high altitude passes I am down to 35 mph. There is no engine brake or exhaust brake. On flat I can tow and keep up with general traffic without much problem. It definitely has an effect hitching up the 6000 extra weight, but just accelerate a little slower.

Overall, MH part has been fine and no real problems, I bought used with about 21K, now has 26K in little over 1 year. Really like the king size bed. Size works out for my wife and me. It does get a lot of attention and compliments from people, although now I am thinking about upgrading to a larger truck-based with a more powerful drivetrain. Terry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14137
Forgot to add in previous post, I do all my own general maintenance. Engine access is easy for fuel and oil filters. Coolant filter is right on the framerail. Trans filter is the easy Allison spin-on filter right near the trans pan. All lube fittings are relatively easy to access and squirt a bit of grease into. Overall no reason it would require any special facility or have any troubles to get maintenance done if you went to a place to have it done.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14140
Here is the review from FMCA. It has a lot of numbers. Two things jump out. The very low torque and the very high rear axle ratio.

Ron may recall the fellow on RV.net who had a Seneca and hated it with a passion. He bought one of these and raved about it - well, except for the rear axle ratio which had to have changed because it buzzed like a sewing machine and it dragged down the MPG. I did some digging on RV.net but could not find him but that may be a problem at their end. Then googles and found his name Texas TC. He bought a Bago Journey as well so he is the guy shown in the link. Here is a thread in which he has some comments.

I now seem to recall that the real high rear end may have been an offset to the low torque.

Don

http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=1583

left

Re: gulf stream super nova [9 Attachments]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14141
Attachments :

Thank you Don, that certainly sounds impressive I wonder how that will compare to the shorter versions I am looking at, they are model 6331 and I believe around 35 ft.

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 14142
    Thank you Terry, good to know. The ones I am looking at are 2008 and are the 6331 model and about 35 ft or so. Also these are running about book value, when you were looking and bought were you looking for used and if so how did they compare to book value?

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 14143
    Not to many complaints about the Super Nova's. Not as much power as the Kodiak;s But enough for the job. Lot;s of fuel. Two 70 gallon tanks. Sets a lot higher than a Kodiak. Seems to me that they had 22.5 tires.
    They did not have shocks on rear axle. Some added them to the chassis.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Re: gulf stream super nova [9 Attachments]

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 14144
    Attachments :

Don I have looked at so many I am getting confused. I am looking at the 37 ft. model 6362. I am going to take another look at the brochure.

Reply #9
      Yahoo Message Number: 14145
      I think the important thing is that you are happy with the towing capacity and there I would have concerns. Torque is very low - too low IMO. The International engines and chassis have not been overly successful

Reply #10
      Yahoo Message Number: 14146
      Thanks Ron, good to know about the rear axle. I can't believe how many dealers are saying they can tow 15000, because it has a 15000 lb hitch. I talked to the manufacture who said yes that was the hitch size but here is the GVWR and the GCWR and you do the math. all I have looked at had a 7100 tow limit. They tell you to use the smaller of the 2 figures, hitch weigh or the result of the calculation. It really is not only unethical but unsafe for the dealer/salesperson to tell the customer they can tow 15000 lbs.

Reply #11
      Yahoo Message Number: 14148
      I bought mine in July 2013, so I have had it about 1.5 years. Mine is a 2008 6331 model, although the chassis is a 2007, which is what I go by for any service. A lot of MH are this way, the MH mfr buys the chassis and then by the time they build it and have it ready to sell, they market as the next year. 6331 is the shorter one 34 ft length. As for pricing, I think $75-80K range is about what the market is for a real buyer, add or subtract based on miles and any upgrades and condition. Although this is based on casual observance of for sale prices and assuming some negotiation room. I have no clue on NADA or similar values.

I will agree that the engine torque is less than I prefer, as stated in my previous post. It does the job, but it needs the rpms that are result of the lower gearing. The VT365 is a higher rpm engine design, rpm on full throttle shifts is about 3100 rpm. Many bigger diesel engines have redline down on low 2000's. All of the Supernova have the larger 22.5 wheels and tires. Mine are 255/70R22.5 size. I get about 7 mpg towing the trailer, not that good, but then again it is not small or light weight. I typically run about 65 mph. I drive what I like, not worrying about fuel. None of the super C size will get much mpg.

It is not hard to drive, but it is pretty big if not used to a larger vehicle. I can only say you will get used to it if you have not driven a bigger truck. Learn to use the mirrors on anything you buy. Being 26000 GVWR it does not require any special license, I am sure that was deliberate choice by IH and Gulfstream. Chassis is also not air brakes, it is power assist hydraulic brake system. Some states can get weird on requiring special licenses for air brakes, even if under 26000 GVWR. Hope the additional info helps.

Reply #12
      Yahoo Message Number: 14149
      Some additional info based on Ron's input and your towing calculation. I concur that 7100 is the max if you have the chassis at max weight. But if you are at say 24000 chassis, then you can go over the 7100 up to 9000 trailer weight. Make sure you have good trailer brakes.

As for fuel tank capacity, mine are not 70 gal. I have dual tanks and I think they are 50 gal each. I have not run out, but just looking size, and when the fuel gage is near empty, they do not seem to be much over the 50 I think they are.I have not put more than about 85 gals at one fill. Dual tanks on each side are under the cab doors, so to fill I go to truck stops and the truck lanes and fill both sides at once.

Reply #13
      Yahoo Message Number: 14152
      Thanks, I am slowly but surely learning from these comments. It is a lot for a mechanically inept person like myself to comprehend, but I think I am getting a better Idea of what to expect.

Reply #14
      Yahoo Message Number: 14153
      Many of those SuperNovas were built with gearing set up for something like a trash truck and they barely go 55mph at say 2500 RPM for a diesel. That is a problem. The must have acquired some chassis that were made for mining, or ??

I loved the bunk bed model they made and was really bummed when it was not a capable tow vehicle.

Be well,

~
      Victor | KI6IM |

Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:54 AM, "Alice Smith alicefsmith1943@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote: