Skip to main content
Topic: 2005 Kodiak e-brake replacement (Read 718 times) previous topic - next topic

2005 Kodiak e-brake replacement

Yahoo Message Number: 14167
Just wondering if anyone has replaced their Kodiak e-brake out of warranty. Mine was frozen when I purchased the coach and after repeated attempts to free it up, I'm about to give up and replace it. I took it out last fall and have been adding Kroil (also tried ATF/Acetone) and heating it up cherry red. Best I can do is get about 15 - 20 degrees of movement on the side opposite the cylinder when that end is heated red hot with a torch - it's still tight when cool (the activator side is somewhat loose when cool).

The GM part is no longer available according to the 3 dealers I tried. It looks like Pacbrake has a replacement listed for a Wabco swap - it's a weld-in although it cannot be done per the directions (PRXB style e-brake and the Pacbrake electronics are not needed). They say to cut 3.5" out from each side of the brake to put in the Pacbrake and adapters but the current e-brake mounts directly to the cat on the backside. It looks like the F pipe (in front of the e-brake) is long enough to cut out 7' and get the Pacbrake installed as the F pipe is about 9" long.

Before I spend $700+, just thought I would ask to see anyone else has replaced this out of warranty and see what others have done.

Greg Thompson
MN
2005 Gulfstream 6340, Duramax

Re: 2005 Kodiak e-brake replacement

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14168
When I first saw your post I first thought emergency brake. I have not replaced my exhaust brake yet. But have all the parts when it is needed. Plan to use all the original controls.
Before spending $700. Consider getting a ECM program that will use the turbo vanes like the newer engines have. Works much better.
If you do the Pacbrake upgrade besure to use Pacbrake lube on it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14169
Thanks Ron. I took a quick look at the Banks Power Brake. Also, seems like a big plus to eliminate the need to lube the exhaust brake plus they work better? Almost seems too good to be true!
Greg

When I first saw your post I first thought emergency brake. I have not replaced my exhaust brake yet. But have all the parts when it is needed. Plan to use all the original controls.
Before spending $700. Consider getting a ECM program that will use the turbo vanes like the newer engines have. Works much better.
If you do the Pacbrake upgrade besure to use Pacbrake lube on it.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14170
The Banks is kind of expensive. There are EFI programs that will do it also. Check it out on Diesel Place. Adrenalin Truck Performance & DanvillePerformance are a couple of places to get good MDT tunes.
Fleece also has a system similar to Banks.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14171
Attachments :

Thanks! I'll check those out.
    >"I have not replaced my exhaust brake yet. But have all the parts when it is needed. Plan to use all the original controls."
    What route are you going?
    Greg

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 14172
    I am going to install a Pacbrake. I picked it up several years ago on EBAY for a cheap price.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 14173
    Attachments :

Sounds like a good plan. Not doing any driving on hills this summer so maybe I'll just watch and wait for the time being - maybe I'll get lucky on ebay also.
      Greg