Skip to main content
Topic: Onan 5500 Oil Change (Read 3870 times) previous topic - next topic

Onan 5500 Oil Change

Yahoo Message Number: 14247
I'm at Speedco for oil change and they say they can't get to the oil filter without serious work. Is it really that hard to do the generator oil change?
JimB

Re: Onan 5500 Oil Change

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14248
The Oil filter isn't that difficult to get to. Mine has a small panel right on the bottom of the generator you remove and then you can pull the oil drain line out and get to the filter from in there from what I remember....My memory is blocked out though by the memory of trying to refill the generator and finding the oil filler neck was broken...that there requires major work.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14251
May have to pull cover which is a bit of pain for them trying to do fast

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14252
Diesel? I had to put a side trap door to get to mine. Impossible from the bottom. Have to remove whole side panel the first time I did mine.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14255
remove the bottom panel from generator. Should be drain and hose. Filter is on side of engine about 12" up. Speedco must not want to get their hands dirty.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14256
i believe if i remember right you remove one bolt to remove the plate where the filter is located and you can reach in with your hand to do the filter. i haven't change my oil yet in it but it didn't look that hard to get to the filter. putting the oil in will be another issue but i'm sure i can overcome it with a flexable funnel.

mark
2006 seneca 34hd
--

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14257
I recently had our 5500 Onan generator serviced. The Onan tech took off the large front panel. From there he removed the filter using a smaller oil filter removal tool that could fit around the filter (not easily accessible). He removed the bottom pan to remove the oil. He replenish the oil using a hand pump. He said this was the hardest gen to work on.
Tom Edelman '06 Gulfstream 6331

New shocks & TPMS - WOW!!!

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14259
Okay, I finally got the new Koni shocks installed that I bought a month or so ago. I had hoped to see some difference when I got it back, but was unprepared for the drastic difference they made. Holy cow, it's a new coach! As I said before, there was no white knuckle feeling as I drove it, but in parks and turns, transitions, etc it just felt like it was going to tip over. All of that is gone now. I exited the freeway today on one of those 180 cloverleaf things and it felt just as solid as it could be. That was a bit unexpected. Hitting manholes and bumps is a lot better too.

I couldn't be happier with the results of this change. $1000 well spent for sure. I think the shocks were around $750 shipped and they charged me $200 to install them. 

I also had them continue to chase the never ending valve stem issues I've had, but this time I insisted I wanted new stems on the outside duals and no more of these damn extensions they keep trying. The latest came when I installed the TPMS from TST and there were 150 degree (something like that) extensions on the outside duals to get the sensors in the right position for filling, etc. If the extensions were tightened down properly so they didn't move, the sensors wouldn't read, if I loosened them, the sensors did read. I told them I wanted new stems without extensions. I got a call saying it was ready to be picked up and I asked about the valve stems. The guy told me the tech got them working with the extensions. I reminded him the work order plainly stated "NO EXTENSIONS, REPLACE WITH NEW VALVE STEMS" He said, "but they work now" and I told him that was not what I wanted. I ended up talking to the parts guy who used to do all the service writing too and knew me from several years of going there. He went out and looked and called me back to say that was one funky way of mounting those sensors. He assured me he would get the right 90 degree extensions and have them replaced. They called today to say it was ready - no extensions.

I don't know why it was so hard to understand "no extensions". The guy in the office said all outside stems had to face inward...okay, I asked why? He said, "that's the way it has to be done". The parts guy said,  "the tire doesn't know which way the stem faces" and they guy says "they put them that way for some reason" The parts guy told him Alcoa sells a 90 degree chrome stem specifically for their outside duals to face outward and it wasn't any different than any other stem he's seen except it cost twice as much because it comes from Alcoa. The office guy finally went out to one of the truck mechanics and asked about it, I could hear the guy tell him "the tire doesn't give a sh#% where it points as long as it don't leak" 

Anyway....the end result was a new set of valve stems so all face an easy direction for access and all work with the TST flow thru sensors. The fronts lined up in the center of the hole so the sensor screwed on and just comes out thru the hole. Perfect.

I'm happy with that, but the new shocks are the best surprise of the day. All of this is in preparation for the trip west in May for a couple of months. Now to replace a bathroom faucet, run a new power wire in for the TST monitor and replace the slide-out topper on the bedroom. That should be here in a couple days.  Greg

Re: New shocks & TPMS - WOW!!!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14260
Good job, I always wondered what the deal was with inward facing valve stems.  My reaction to my Koni's was the same.  Happy travels

Doug Brothers

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14261
That is why I was glad I changed them right away. Could drive it with one hand easily

Dave

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14263
Hmmm. What an endorsement for Koni - you should ask them for a commission on future orders from this group. You even have me thinking now.

I have to say I was delighted to read the comments on the valves. Since our first MH I thought they were nuts and could never figure out why the practice continued. It also convinced me that the MH manufacturers never use they own products or they would realize what a PITA they were selling

I'm pleased it worked out so well - your earlier emails certainly indicated your frustration - and it was getting catchy.

Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 14265
I didn't think you were whining. I thought you had legit complaints and you were not getting a proper response. I was starting to get annoyed at them too. :)

Our Michelin tires were recalled and replaced with 7 brand new tires last spring and I the same kind of problem with the tire guys and they too are "truck" experts. Couldn't get the tire gauge or the chuck in and they had to make some adjustments.

I'm sending my son your comments on the Koni shocks. It sure sounds like they were worth the $$$. Let us know how you feel after a thousand miles or so.

Don

ps. My wife has Yellowstone high on our (her) bucket list. Actually, right under Newfoundland. Sure wish we could take the time to do it right in the motorhome. Hopefully Congress will pass the JOLT bill (fat chance) and that will make it feasible.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 14266
I have had koni for a little while on my 08 36MS and they work great in fact I have not had to do any other modification to the suspension and I have a great ride.

Glad you like them

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 14267
Don said,

I didn't think you were whining.

Well I was :-)

I thought you had legit complaints and you were not getting a proper response. I was starting to get annoyed at them too. :)

Thanks for your support :-) I just don't get what was so hard about what I wanted.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 14268
I forgot the main reason to send your note to my son. He wants to put a TPMS on his race car trailer. Let us know how yours works and if you'd buy it again given your experience with it.

Don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 14269
Tim Garver  wrote:
I have had koni for a little while on my 08 36MS and they work great in fact I have not had to do any other modification to the suspension and I have a great ride. Glad to hear that, mine is a 2007 32ss with 47,000 miles on it and I know they had gotten soft, but had no idea how bad it really was. Greg

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 14271
I just put Koni's on my 2007 Funmover with 52000 miles and they made a world of difference really glad I bit the bullet

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 14360
Y'all have worn me completely down and I order a set of Konis for my 05 Seneca 35GS, tonight. Looking forward to a lot less sway and push.