Skip to main content
Topic: Onan Quiet Diesel RV generator 5500kw oil filler tube (Read 997 times) previous topic - next topic

Onan Quiet Diesel RV generator 5500kw oil filler tube

Yahoo Message Number: 14667
When my wife and I bought our 2006 Gulfstream Endura(it was at dealer on consignment) purchase was 9/14, with 14,000 original miles. It had 8.45 hrs on generator. Can you say LOT ROT? While dealer we purchased from, he had to change oil filler tube, because oil leaked everywhere when he was refilling the required 2 qts of oil. Dealer replaced oil filler tube. I put 4 more hours on it and tube broke again. Tube was replaced, this tube came with stabilizer hose bracket. Cost was $1289 parts and labor. Managers called my RV extended warranty company. They said "No hose replacement reimbursement" My wife called and was told same thing. Manager at repair facility said there was TSB on oil filler tube, hence the addition of hose stabilizer bracket.
I have documentation of original repair and current repair. Anyone believe a nice letter with parts would be beneficial to get some financial relief.
One other thing. I can't find TSB, repair facility referred to. I have a Model 55HDKBA 2733c Model.
Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank,
Bruce Roberts

Re: Onan Quiet Diesel RV generator 5500kw oil filler tube

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14668
I had exactly the same issue.  2006 5.5 QD fill hose rot. Took it in to Rocky Mountain Cummins in Phoenix, cost around $1600, but they replaced exhaust pipe, coolant hoses and coolant as well. I have no warranty, so no rebate. I'll look in th rig later to see if I have the TSB.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14669
Attachments :

If the issue was the same as mine, and it sounds like it was, the filler tube rubs on a pulley or the flywheel (can't remember what is right under the tube but it is a moving part) and rubs through the filler tube. I don't have the TSB, but I remember reading about the issue on forums before I fixed mine. I would think that any reasonable mechanic would see why the problem happened and attempt to make sure it didn't re-occur. I added a support bracket to mine when I replaced the filler tube and it has been fine since. My feeling is that with only 4 more hours on the genny, the dealer should pay for the repair, or at least a good portion of it. BTW, $1289 seems steep. Many dealers charge a flat rate to R&R a genny which is usually way over what it takes. The dealer closest to me quoted $650 for R&R in 2010.  I can get my genny out in less than an hour so 2 hours R&R - I used a forklift to lower the genny enough to take it out. The tube is about $100 (or in the range as I remember) and takes about ½ - 1 hour to swap out including panel removal as I remember. I did my 100 hr service at the same time so I don't have time it took just for the filler tube.
    Greg
    MN
    2005 Endura diesel

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 14670
    This a common problem with the QD5500. Fan rubs on filler tube causing leak. I did my own repair. Bracket and tube were $200. Hard to believe that dealer needs $1000 to do a 4 hour job.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 14674
    We had this issue on our 5500. It was an easy fix once we removed the gen from under the coach, (Dynamax Dynaquest 320st). Onan really should have recalled these, very poor design, ours failed at 300hrs and 4 years

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 14683
    Our RV (2006), with 15,000 original miles, 8 hours on generator. The hose had to be replaced just prior to us picking unit up. We bought it via a consignment deal thru a dealer. Nine months later, we had a new radio and speaker installed. I told installer to run generator and A/C while he was doing the install. It was already hotter then a well diggers patriot here in Texas and I didn't want him to hurry. As life happens, I just read a story about "lot rot" I brought RV home, parked in front of house. Next morning I said to my wife, follow me to storage garage to put up RV. As I was walking toward, the oil on ground was evident of a repeat problem. I took back to mechanic that had just put new shocks on 2 days prior, he took generator out and found that oil fill tube broke in half. It looked like 2 different types off tubing joined by a brass ring. New tube came in from Cummins-Onan. The tube as definitely made of different material and had a stabilizer bracket with new kit. PDI paperwork showed new tube ordered and replaced, but 3 hours later it broke again?
    I gathered replacement parts, paperwork and sent off to extended warranty company. Of course the contract stated in parts not covered, hoses were not covered. I included return postage with it in case they say no in writing I will then forward to Onan-Cummins. I hope they are reasonable, and come up with some monetary reimbursement. At this point, breath not being held. If thy saw fit to change materials in tubing, adding a bracket, I should be reimbursed something. I'll let you know.
    Bruce

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 14684
    Ron,
    Do you know if the 2008 Onan QD 6000 had the same problem?
    Thank you,
    Jay

Jay Hitaffer
    www. WasabiJay.com
    International and National
    Touring and Recording Artist
    Bass Guitar/Keyboards/Vocals

Saints of Rebellion Bassist
    www. SaintsofRebellion.com
    Geisha Down Bassist
    www. GeishaDown.com
    Wasabi Brothers Bassist
    www. WasabiBrothersBand.com
    Spector Bass Endorsement
    www. SpectorBass.com
    MarkBass Endorsement
    www. MarkBass.It
    Clayton Custom Picks
    www. SteveClayton.com
    Secksey Wear Custom Stage Wear
    www. SeckseyWear.com
    Cold Cock Whiskey Endorsement
    www. ColdCockWhiskey.com

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 14685
    The QD6000 has a different arrangement than the QD5500. I have not heard of a problem with it's oil filler tube.
    Best
    Ron Hall