Skip to main content
Topic: Air bags (Read 2212 times) previous topic - next topic

Air bags

Yahoo Message Number: 15183
Could you please recommend what air bags to purchase for my 07 GulfStream Endura- just had a scary 200 miles in strong side winds and I can't take the rocking any longer - probably should do shocks as well but don't have the funds to do both since I just retired

Thanks for the input

Best,
Steve Phillips

Office 800.860.0331

Re: Air bags

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15184
Attachments :

I have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my '05 6340 along with Bilstein shocks and a rear trac bar. I will also be adding a front trac bar this spring. Maybe others can chime in on which to do first to get the most bang for the buck. Many on the list have Koni shocks and feel they are worth the extra $ over Bilstein's.
    Greg
    MN

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 15185
    I have the same on my MH.
    Just got back from a 6,000 mile trip. No major complaints. Still have some rocking on uneven drive entrances.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 15186
    I would be shocked before I did airbags. The factory shocks have compression only where as the replacement Coney's have compression and rebound damping which will keep this way down a lot more. If you put airbags in you have to make sure that they are mutually exclusive from left to right otherwise you just simply get more bodies way as the pressure from the right compressive forces the left up which forces the right down more which forces the left of more and then you get more body tilt. You can get the set of shocks for probably $500 and have them installed for another three or four hundred and be done period at the end of the day you're still driving a high profile vehicle and they're pretty tough to drive in heavy winds. I prefer to just park and wait for the wind to go away

Victor
    KI6IM / 8P9IW / V31VB
    Embark TB390

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 15187
    I have to go with shocks as well bags evens out your ride but not much in the way of bounce or sway

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 15188
    I have a 2006 6316 purchased used in 07 with 4000 miles on it. I drove it home about 250 miles. Hated the rocking. put it straight in my shop. I did Koni shocks, but I like Bilistiens just as well. I did do air bags, rear auxiliary anti sway bar, and track bar. The sway bar, and track bar on the front. I did not drive it until It was finished. I have since added rear springs, also hated the sagging. I do not feel like the air bags have ever been effective. I now only have 10lbs of air in them just enough to keep them from ruining. I would take them off if it was not so much trouble. I really believe the shocks and rear sway bar is what I would do to stop the rocking, shocks first.

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:48 PM, "'Greg' tehya.eva@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 15189
    I installed the Firestone bags on my 2007. Run 90# if air with individual fillers easy to install. Bilstien shocks all around helped a huge amount with cross winds.

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 15190
    Also installed front and rear track bars and a 2nd HD front sway bar. Huge difference with the rear track bar. Not much change with either the front track bar and Helwig from sway bar. Minor improvement at best.

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 15191
    My air bags have a compressor. Now that may suspension is properly fixed, with adequate leaf springs, shocks, trak bars, if I get in heavy winds I adjusts air pressure to left or right to compensate , I can let air out and put air in as needed. Like the expensive ones do only manually.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 15192

Interesting.... I have the Thor Super C with the F550 and my coach drives kinda like my pickup. It rides great and drives great and even tows well. I pulled an 8K Lb trailer from Houston to N Nevada with zero issues. I do love my Super C with the F550 engine and frame. Jerry in Texas

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 15193
    I also had my share of scary rides in my GS Conquest 6316 due to very high cross winds. I first installed the Konis, which improved the ride and helped with some of the sway. Then I installed SuperSprings in the rear, and the overall difference is night and day.
    Good luck,
    Bill

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 15194
    I agree my 2014 Thor 35sk drives and handles great. No mods needed.

Billy

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 15197
    I have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my '05 6340. The bags work independent of each other and are controled from the cab. I use the onboard compressor to supply the air and I usually run them at 75 psi. I also have Bilstein shocks which I installed first. Great improvement over stock set up.

Vern

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 15198
    I don't really know about that, but I can say my 2015 FourWinds F550 hasn't needed any more than what it has, even though the desert winds on I10 going to Palm Springs.

Bob

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 15199
    Ditto. I tow this 24' enclosed trailer with truck, quad and multiple motorcycles which is about 11.5k Lbs loaded with my 2014 Thor Chateau super c without any problems. Tows amazingly.

image1.JPG

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 15202

One might wanna check the towing rating on the F550 Super C since I understood mine was rated at 9K lbs and I don't recall the tongue weight. Safety, safety, safety... Captain Jerry

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 15203
    Mine is rated at 10,000 but don't recall tongue weight it's in for warranty work right now

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 15204
    A few things..

1. The hitch that comes from w/ the coach is rated at 10k lbs (non-weight distributing). However, it can be corrected with upgrading to a higher capacity Reese tow hitch assembly.
    2. The GCVWR for the F-550 in the configuration as delivered from Thor is 35,000lbs. Depending on how much cargo you're carrying, you can still safely (legally) tow 10k+ lbs.

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 15206
    Vern is the dashboard control of the air bags something you cooked up or a package deal you purchased? I like this idea!

Reply #25
    Yahoo Message Number: 15214
    Just wanted to thank you all for the info on shocks and air bags - going to start shopping for shocks and see how it goes

07 GulfStream Endura

Best,
    Steve Phillips

Office 800.860.0331

Reply #26
    Yahoo Message Number: 15215
    I was waiting to post until I drove my motorhome after I had spring shop add a spring.
    I tried the koni shocks and they helped the ride a little butt not the rocking. I heard great things about super Springs so I ordered a pair. They arrived and I attempted to put them in only to find out a mounting bracket from the chassis to the motorhome would prevent me from using the super Springs.
    So I went to a spring shop and they added 1500 lbs to each side. [my Dutchman had 13, 500 lbs spring]. Drove this weekend on PA turnpike with pretty strong winds. All I can say is night and day most of the rocking is gone, uneven pavement no longer effects it and passing trucks you no longer feel.
    Just my two cents.

Reply #28
    Yahoo Message Number: 15217
    Steve, may I ask what springs you added and what the cost was and who installed them. Lastly, overall was it a big deal to get them installed. Does anyone else know if the Super Springs will mount to a Gulfstream 6340 setup. Thanks as always. Doug Brothers

Reply #29
    Yahoo Message Number: 15218
    Interesting. So it was a bracket that the Coach Builder installed?
    My SuperSpring install wasn't to difficult at all, on my Gulf Stream. I did it myself, using the proper tool. FYI, I have the tool available for use.

Reply #30
    Yahoo Message Number: 15219
    So how was the spring installed, was it an add on, or was the spring pack taken apart and added?

Reply #33
    Yahoo Message Number: 15222
    Bob,

The control panel I use comes in a kit from Firestone, Dual Air Comand, part # 2145. It is a panel that has one guage with dual needles, one for each air spring. It also has a separate switch for each air spring. My MH has an on board compressor that I use for my air source. I like the ability to contol/monitor the air springs from the cab.

Vern

Reply #34
    Yahoo Message Number: 15223
    Vern, Thanks for the info and part number. If we do the air bags I would definitely want to have dash control left and right as you have.

Bobby